The first game was a multiplayer marvel. I absolutely loved the "open, but tight" survival aspects and played a ton with my friends. never finished the story: just so fun trying to survive and build up a settlement.

This looks like the devs are actually taking a proper amount of time to make this good. The list of upgrades on-paper looks rather mild, but the attention to detail and dedication to making something stable and solid is what I love to see: happy for them to take as much time as they need.

I played it for a few hours, it’s more of the same which isn’t necessarily bad but I was expecting a few more changes. I didn’t do any of the cave stuff yet so we will see how that goes tomorrow night.

I haven’t done much research yet but it seems like a lot of the crafting recipes from the first game aren’t available, or maybe I haven’t discovered them yet.

I forgot to mention that having an NPC helper in solo and coop is pretty amazing. That’s probably the best addition so far.

Last edited:
I played for an hour or so last night with a friend and we loved it. We were coming from Valheim and wanted something different and this was fairly easy to pick up and figure out. Having never played the first one, I was not prepared for the people in the forest and when I heard a yell in my headphones I nearly shat myself.

Me and my 3 gaming buddies played The Forest and have been looking forward to this. We got it the day it released. Even for an early access game, it looks good, plays well and has plenty of content. An update just came out today that fixed some bugs and added some new stuff. I have a little over 40 hours into so far. We're probably about 2/3rds through the game but have currently stopped progressing and are just building a huge base and completing achievements.

should I play this or the original? Both look neat, and similar enough I can't make up my mind of polished vs EA newness

should I play this or the original? Both look neat, and similar enough I can't make up my mind of polished vs EA newness
I wouldn't call the original "polished". It's still extremely janky. In fact, while I haven't played Sons of the Forest yet it looks more polished now than the original will ever be.

I wouldn't call the original "polished". It's still extremely janky. In fact, while I haven't played Sons of the Forest yet it looks more polished now than the original will ever be.
Ya I was going to say the same. The first one always felt janky, Sons feels similar. The new one did have a stuck item bug once in a while but it can be worked around and might have been patched already.

The old one has VR, the new one has the NPC assistant which makes life somewhat easier. Otherwise they are pretty close in terms of gameplay.

Interesting.

Edit: Just checked, I have 1.4 hours in this game, and I do not remember it. May have been a couple years ago.

1701295060685.png

To be fair, the original was indeed janky, but never in a way that ruined gameplay, but more in a "developer bit off more art direction than they could chew" sort of way: the visual bar was set way too high and because of that, janky animations, disappearing foliage, pop-in etc just stands out WAY more. This new one looks, in screenshots, not much better than the original, but it seems they have a much more fluid animation system, better object and momentum persistence, much more grounded post-process pipeline, it just looks like a nice evolution of the original.

Edit: Just checked, I have 1.4 hours in this game, and I do not remember it. May have been a couple years ago.
Ah, figured it out. The 1.4 hours of play is from The Forest.

I think I am likely to give this a go for an online co-op with a buddy of mine.

Me and my 3 gamer buddies started playing this when it first came out yet we never finished it. We haven't played it with all the updates that have come out and it was really good at release. The 4 of us will play just about anything but the open world/crafting/survival genre is probably our favorite. We will definitely return to this one; probably once we are tired of what we are currently playing (Tarkov).

Me and my 3 gamer buddies started playing this when it first came out yet we never finished it. We haven't played it with all the updates that have come out and it was really good at release. The 4 of us will play just about anything but the open world/crafting/survival genre is probably our favorite. We will definitely return to this one; probably once we are tired of what we are currently playing (Tarkov).
Can you play the storyline together and progress at the same time?

Back