Sonicwall Pro 2400 compared to Cisco IAD2400

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
I know both of these are old and discontinued, currently we are using the Sonicwall here and have 5 locations connecting in with various other Sonicwall products. The owner of the company is looking to switch over to Cbeyond at all locations since they are a lot cheaper than Century Link. During a meeting yesterday they mentioned a $2,400 Cisco router being provided. I was impressed but looked up what model they used. It's a 10 year old model, whopping 80 MHz Motorola CPU and 64 MB of RAM. It may have been $2,400 10 years ago but ~$200 now and EOL. What I'm curious about is 1, If it's still considered a good router compared to current models, 2. If it's better or similar to the Sonicwall in performance, 3. Anything else I should know about it? Thanks.

My first question is what services today is the pro 2040 offering? CFS, IDS/IPS, Gateway AV, Spyware?

I think to truely compare apples to apples they need to make sure they are both providing the same services as what you have today.

Also are you sure that they aren't sending you this Cisco router as a CPE device? Something you plug your firewall into anyways? Or do they want to have you replace your sonicwall as a gateway and they manage it?

The Sonicwalls aren't doing a whole lot. Either a T1 or DSL modem goes to it, they connect to the main location through VPN and the security certificates are all expired I believe. The Cisco devices would be replacing the Sonicwalls, handling internet and VOIP traffic, VOIP would be going to our PBX.

The Sonicwalls aren't doing a whole lot. Either a T1 or DSL modem goes to it, they connect to the main location through VPN and the security certificates are all expired I believe. The Cisco devices would be replacing the Sonicwalls, handling internet and VOIP traffic, VOIP would be going to our PBX.

I'll take that 2400 :) i keep maxing the cpu out on my tz210 :) on my 50/3mb down.

Well I would say you have at least done your homework. GO back to the sales guys selling you this solution and redraw it out. Or at least figure out why they are using an EOL device. Point out that it doesn't make any sense to be using EOL devices or if it makes any difference just provide your own CPE devices. How ever they want to do this they should be able to accommodate something or you might as well find another providor for what you need.

I don't see any reason to be using EOL devices especially on a new circuit turn up

Yeah, but what is the through put tho...

With everything turned on: 32mbps WAN-2-LAN

Only turn off IDS and its:52mbps WAN-2-LAN....That's with AV,CF,Antispam and user application control turned on.

We only have turned on: Anti-spam and Basic CF, we purchased it primarily for its VPN capabilities... and we have no problems maxing out a 100mbps FIOS line.

ewww, that's a old unit LOL!!

I know next time I'm out to our California office I need to pull the 2040 we have in the rack out there and decide what I'm going to do with it. Would be nice if I could figure out how to put something like pfsense on it, but it will more than likely be shipped back and site on a shelf until the place blows up

I know next time I'm out to our California office I need to pull the 2040 we have in the rack out there and decide what I'm going to do with it. Would be nice if I could figure out how to put something like pfsense on it, but it will more than likely be shipped back and site on a shelf until the place blows up

You probably could put pfsense on it, they are a pIII celleron with a cf card inside.

Nanaimo-20110321-00009.jpg

Back