Son, I Am Disappoint. (Sandy Bridge Custom P-state Management)

So- after searching high and low for a good number of hours- my finding is that the only people who have managed to hack their DSDT tables/customize SpeedStep are the dudes not running Windows.

How disappointing.

Being a Phenom II owner in a previous lifetime, I found much joy in being able to idle my unlocked 960T at 0.750v at 800mhz. Easily configured using k10stat- and it was a snap to define a custom voltage for each p-state.

The only thing I've found that is even in the remote vicinity for any core i3/5/7 processor is a motherboard dependant feature known as "offset voltage". The primary problem with this is that the voltage required for higher frequencies generally increases in a non linear fashion. It's fairly obvious that lopping off 'x' amount of volts per increase in p-state (frequency/vid goes down as p-states go "up") is an extremely inefficient way of saving power.

I suppose most people who own Intel processors have enough dosh to cover the extra cost of electricity, but I'll be damned if no one has ever seen the need to develop an application to modify these mystical DSDT tables in Windows.

Back