Sometimes, I hate my computers... (My inspiration)

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't know. Sometimes, I just want to smash my computers with a hammer. I get so sick of them, they don't work right, they can't connect to the net, they get loud (I have 3 machines, and the noise is BELOW 20 db in here, w00t), or something dies. But then, I remember as I reach for the plug in the wall, that these really aren't my computers anymore.

There is some little girl somewhere, or an old man, who is dieing from a disease, and I can help prevent or lessen it. My computers don't belong to me, they belong to those people. Then I realize that I could actually hurt them, in a sence, by pulling this plug. I haven't invested thousands of dollars into F@H machines, but I have just about every machine possible running for it. Hell, if I had the money, I would rent out some storage somewhere, buy 200 machines, set something up... But, really, I can't do that. So, I'm going to be content to have my 3 (4 later this evening, I really hope) machines up, and my girlfriend's laptop and desktop, and be happy with that. :)

I hope this is inspiring to someone who wants to stop folding, or get rid of their farm (send it to me :D). After all, I've invested sweat, blood (I posted a picture about what my smartfanII did to my finger), and lots of expletives into putting this stuff together, not to mention almost a grand (a LOT of money for me). So I'm going to stick with it, until F@H isn't necessary anymore, or until I can't afford the power bill anymore. :p

If anyone wants to send this to someone in an attempt to whore, er, borg, please feel free. ;)

It's funny how the realization of what you're doing just hits you every now and then. Usually you just keep everything running without a second thought, but every now and then you're sitting there swearing at a PC trying to figure out what's keeping it from booting and everything about folding comes into focus. You think about the people that you know with cancer or alzheimers and then you start to worry about those that you don't know about or haven't been afflicted yet and the possibility that it just might hit you some day. Then you take a deep breath, renew your troubleshooting efforts and get that sucker folding again.

Originally posted by Mattman
It's funny how the realization of what you're doing just hits you every now and then. Usually you just keep everything running without a second thought, but every now and then you're sitting there swearing at a PC trying to figure out what's keeping it from booting and everything about folding comes into focus. You think about the people that you know with cancer or alzheimers and then you start to worry about those that you don't know about or haven't been afflicted yet and the possibility that it just might hit you some day. Then you take a deep breath, renew your troubleshooting efforts and get that sucker folding again.

Exactly. Sometimes, its a project for school that doesn't work right.

Something tells me I'm going to be going through this again tonight... ;) I'm going to be setting up 2 PCs instead of one. I think I need more cabling though, but I definatly have more ports on my switch. :)

I highly suggest not beating old computer cases with a hammer or anything else for that matter. It hurts.;)

See this thread.

Thats me BTW.

Oh and be warned!

Originally posted by mmonnin
I highly suggest not beating old computer cases with a hammer or anything else for that matter. It hurts.;)

See this thread.

Thats me BTW.

Oh and be warned!

That is absolutely nothing. A friend and I had the dubious task of dismantling and parting a room filled with JUNK computers, from the odd 286 to a fileserver. The dead computer husks were piled up on the floor, nearly to the roof. WE would have to climb onto the pile to get stuff, and then tear it apart. I used to carry a bandaid box, because in the corse of things, we could just tear our hands apart. That work probably took 10 years off my life (you know, 3 guys working in a small enclosed space, when a monitor would hiss... We would freeze and glance nervously at eachother), but those years are shitty and at the end.

Anyway, a HP server case fell on my hand, and pinned it to the ground... After I got my hand out from under the case, I picked it up (it weighed a good 50 lbs) and just chucked it across the room into a table and a pile of monitors. That was nuts. I still have scars on my hands from those computer piles... :p

Edit: Also, I read further down that thread... :p I have a PIII sitting in a board with 2 ISA slots, that thing is going to make deadlines. ;) (Going to be a PIII 616, or a 550 overclocked at the FSB from 100 to 112). ;)

We have a nice pile of beat up cases. One still has the motherboard in it. The metal sheet under the motherboard was bent inwards past 90 degrees...with the motherboard still in it.

We have a nice pile of beat up cases. One still has the motherboard in it. The metal sheet under the motherboard was bent inwards past 90 degrees...with the motherboard still in it.

Does it still work? :p

I salvaged a 386 from the pile. I still have it. Unfortunatly, I destroyed the hard drive... 20 megs wasn't enough, though. :p

Hehe no I dont think so. Dont want to know. Most likely not tho.;)

You'd be surprised what mobos can take. I got pissed at one board and chucked it on the ground, then chucked it up on the roof. 3 months and snow, rain, wind, and other terrors later, it still worked. ;) Well, sorta... :p

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ:

After all, I've invested sweat, blood (I posted a picture about what my smartfanII did to my finger), and lots of expletives into putting this stuff together, not to mention almost a grand (a LOT of money for me).
I still have the large drop of blood spilled on the inside of the door of my main computer from my first venture in DC, a couple of years back. I left it there as a token of all the hard work and bad times I endured and still enduring to get my computers up and working. Believe me, I know exactly where you're coming from. In the end, all the effort is worth it.

Originally posted by APOLLO
I still have the large drop of blood spilled on the inside of the door of my main computer from my first venture in DC, a couple of years back. I left it there as a token of all the hard work and bad times I endured and still enduring to get my computers up and working. Believe me, I know exactly where you're coming from. In the end, all the effort is worth it.

When I took PC Tech at school, I was working on a Slot 1 machine with a PIII 667 in it. I cut my finger on a PCI card, and bled all over the mainboard while it was running. I shorted something out, and fried the machine... It was interesting. :p

When I was setting up the Dell for folding, I needed a new HSF for it. I put a SmartFanII in there, and well, when I was working on it, the damn thing cut my finger pretty bad. There wasn't any blood in the case, but man... It took almost 3 hours to stop bleeding. o_O I was afraid it cut me to the bone...

Back