Something very wrong with Windows XP home or maybe the hard drive?

MADWAD

n00b
So my parents computer is around 4 years old, I bought the newest anti-virus (Norton) and installed it on their computer. While installing i think it had some troubles unistalling the previous version. Anyways thats beside the point (i think?), now when i turn their computer on all i can't do anything.....And i mean NOTHING, I can't run misconfig to boot the computer in safe mode (f8 at boot doesn't work either on boot), None of the installed programs work, and everytime i try it gives me this message:

rundll32.exe
"This files does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel"

After frigging around trying to unistall Norton, theres no way i can get into my control panel. I've tried everything i know and NOTHING works except internet explorer and i can also get the task manager to pop up. It must be the hard drive? but would the computer still even boot if the hard drive was gone?

Anyways any comment,suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It has nothing to do with the hard drive, as the error messages are telling you what's wrong. There's a problem with some of the system files, so I would boot from the XP CD and follow the instructions for a repair install. Then you'll want to run Windows Update and re-install SP2.

djnes - looks like you were right. BUT

I did a repair install and everything seemed to be going well untill 13 minutes left in the installation. A warning poped up saying Norton Anti-Virus does not support the repair install. And continues on to say i have to unistall it, but the problem is i can't do anything in windows especially unistall or even get into my control panel. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I dont know for sure but maybe if you boot from the norton cd it will offer a uninstall option from there.. I personally dont use norton antivirus any more so I cant say for sure if this will work..but something to look into...

Thanks for the hint nomak, but i'm in the process of reinstalling windows. Stupid Norton Anti-Virus........
BTW - why don't you use Norton? And what do you use now?

MADWAD said:
Thanks for the hint nomak, but i'm in the process of reinstalling windows. Stupid Norton Anti-Virus........
BTW - why don't you use Norton? And what do you use now?
He's saying to boot from the Norton Cd, and follow the steps to uninstall Norton AV, and then continue on with the repair install.

I can't speak for nomak, but most people have stopped using Norton AV because it's bloatware that bogs down a system. Their business lines of products (Symantec) is much much better, but priced out of the budget for home users.

djnes said:
He's saying to boot from the Norton Cd, and follow the steps to uninstall Norton AV, and then continue on with the repair install.

I can't speak for nomak, but most people have stopped using Norton AV because it's bloatware that bogs down a system. Their business lines of products (Symantec) is much much better, but priced out of the budget for home users.

djnes hit the nail on the head for my reasoning for not using norton anymore...Im currently using avg free edition on my personal computer...but kaspersky and nod32 are also good virus software ...just my opinion...

Back