Something very wrong with my OS (Vista x64)

blade52x

2[H]4U
So today I turned off my computer for a few hours (I never turn it off, just lock it and leave it running constantly pretty much). I turn it back on and everything seems to be alright, except nothing loads in Windows. Some startup programs load, such AV, Logitech Profiler, and etc, but when I try to open a program, literally nothing works! Everything is there, but trying to execute ANY installed program will not happen. No Firefox, no Outlook, no games, no nothing. System related tools seem to still work, as loading the Event Viewer showed me about 10 services that failed to load. I ran chkdsk, windows memory diagnostics, and restored my system to about a week ago, but nothing works.

I'm posting from "Safe Mode" as programs work in safe mode.

Does anyone have idea what could be happening? I really need my normal OS up asap, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
[Testing the RAM]
Download Memtest86+ v2.11 or whatever the latest version is, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately as well as test the RAM all together. Go for a full 24 hours if you want to be completely sure that the RAM is not a problem. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is defective or you have incorrect settings for the RAM.

[Testing the Hard drive]
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

[Testing the CPU]
Use Prime 95, OCCT, Orthos or Intel Burn Tool to stress test the CPU

[Testing the PSU]
Buy and use a digital multi-meter to monitor the voltages coming from the PSU. Follow the instructions for "Using a multi-meter to check voltages": http://www.bfgpower.com/troubleshooting.html#DMM

First off, you have a huge OC. I've heard Vista x64 is more sensitive to OCing than other oses. I've experienced this in the past where the OS starts taking a lot longer to load up after I oced my cpu.

Finally found an exact case elsewhere. Turns out it was Ad-Aware. For some reason the program was doing something during boot, causing services to fail. I'm not sure why I installed the program because I really never needed it. I just routinely run multiple scans on my system once in a while to be safe. Because it was about 2 weeks ago when I installed it before I finally rebooted, it didn't jump out at me when troubleshooting.

Don't install Ad-Aware if using Vista x64.

Back