Something tripped breaker. Pc was on idle.

Improper wiring causes psu failures.
How many other times has something like this happened?
At my house in five years I've had 0. I also personally inspected the wiring and corrected several defects, then had a govt inspector approve my work per law in my area.

You need to understand it isn't things that trip breakers. Its too much current. This can be caused by many things. The likelihood it was a mfg defect in a psu is low. Especially as you're describing this as something that has happened before.
I would think it more likely that whatever your real problem is blew your psu

But an electrician can confirm that.

First time monitor ( psu ) burned and tripped breaker. Second time bulb blowed. For what are breakers then? happened 2 times but due failures of device.

Example of monitor:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...d-after-house-breaker-switch-tripped.2436754/
If things aren't wired properly, then safety devices like breakers and fuses wont always work. If you have power going through your devices before returning through the breaker, then the device will probably be damaged before the breaker trips, for example.

If things aren't wired properly, then safety devices like breakers and fuses wont always work. If you have power going through your devices before returning through the breaker, then the device will probably be damaged before the breaker trips, for example.
Not always true. Depends on the wiring issue. Could be more than wiring too. Voltage transients are bad.

Not always true. Depends on the wiring issue. Could be more than wiring too. Voltage transients are bad.
Yep, which is why I said "wont always", and "probably". I'm kinda getting the feeling there's a surge coming in from somewhere (another device, or from ground) which is flowing through another device instead of back to ground. The kind of thing that'd make you wish you hired an electrician if you touch the wrong thing when it happens.

Reactions: travm
like this
at this point, I've heard enough. Sounds like you're trying to blame devices for home electrical issues. Its not possible to remotely diagnose this.

1. If your PC turns on and doesnt blow breakers/fuses. Its not broken (yet), whatever broke your monitor PSU is likely still there.
2. If it was just fluke and your monitor actually failed due to mfg defect, which at this point I find unlikely, considering it obviously shares a circuit with your lights that failed (which might have been the cause of your monitor failure as well, we'll never know), you will only be out a couple hours of his hourly rate (around $100/hr in my area). If there is nothing wrong. If there is something wrong, how is your insurance? Imagine everything in your house burned or smoke damaged.
3. You appear have 0 understanding of electricity. You are not going to get that past 0 by asking dumb questions on internet forums. Buy a book, and read, or call an electrician.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwjKsbHS4NrrAhXRZTUKHVY0DhwQ8wIIpwM

Agreed with travm. You are asking the exact same questions over and over, and we can do nothing but give you the same exact replies right back. We've recommended hiring a professional because it appears you don't know the fundamentals of what you are asking. Without the fundamentals there is no way for you to actually troubleshoot anything.

As others have stated, the most likely issue is a problem with the electrical wiring in the house and it's frying your electronics.

If you want to ignore the problem, go ahead, but know that it's going to keep killing electronics. Eventually the bad wiring has a good chance of starting a fire and burning the place down.

So for you problem with electrical wiring fry bad halogen bulb and my monitor? sorry but i doubt. This happened 2 times and i am almost sure that breakers just react to faulty device.
, but a short-circuit in any PSU would trip the breaker - that's what the breaker's there for

So for you problem with electrical wiring fry bad halogen bulb and my monitor? sorry but i doubt. This happened 2 times and i am almost sure that breakers just react to faulty device.
, but a short-circuit in any PSU would trip the breaker - that's what the breaker's there for
It absolutely would. Electricity does funny things when things aren’t right. So not only do you have to have rules that make sure things work correctly, you also have to have rules to makes sure things fail safely when they do. That’s why the electrical codes in just about every competent jurisdiction is so complicated and constantly changing.

BTW, breakers are not there to protect your devices. Their job is to protect the wiring in your house. They work by heating up faster than the wiring does and breaking the path of current before the wiring starts to burn things. However, they do not react fast enough to stop current surges from blowing up bulbs and monitors. Even GFCI and AFCI breakers won’t react to a high current event any better than a standard breaker would.

Last edited:
like this
Mgty23, You have no idea what your talking about.
Go read a book. Seriously.

Or just stop trying to argue with us and hire a professional. We are well aware of what a circuit breaker is designed to do, you posting the definition of a circuit breaker isn't going to change anything.

Or just stop trying to argue with us and hire a professional. We are well aware of what a circuit breaker is designed to do, you posting the definition of a circuit breaker isn't going to change anything.
So go read book dude. I am asking on electrician forums ,i bet they are more experienced than you.

Buy a breaker, a few super capacitors, two halogen bulbs, and a switch and some 12ga wire.

Set switch to off, wire capacitors in parallel, then halogen bulb, then breaker, then ground. Charge capacitors to full, then hit the switch– enjoy the fireworks!

Next, wire the same, but put the halogen bulb after the breaker. execute the plan, and observe whether anything different happened.

Or go on youtube and see if someone else did it already. Would be a fun little experiment, if a bit dangerous...

A short circuit in the monitor's PSU would trip the breaker. (Not saying that's what happened, but a short-circuit in any PSU would trip the breaker - that's what the breaker's there for.)
It seems unlikely to me that a power surge that was enough to damage the monitor's PSU (despite the breaker tripping) would not damage other equipment.
Would say that the breakers were doing what they were supposed to do, cut out in the event of a fault condition.

So go read book dude. I am asking on electrician forums ,i bet they are more experienced than you.

And I bet they will give you the same answers we've been giving you.

I'm done here, and everyone else should be too. You are refusing to acknowledge any advice and information we give you and are stuck just trying to confirm your own belief. We call that living in denial.

You think electricians only post on electrical forums? Yes a shorted PSU will throw a breaker.... but it's a very rare thing for a (high quality) solid-state switch mode PSU to suddenly short out. They usually find other ways to die, like pop a switcher and feed line voltage to whatever it was powering. It's FAR FAR FAR FAR more likely that something external cause the PSU to die while simultaneously pushing enough current long enough to trip a breaker.... like a floating neutral or lightning strike.

like this
SO why i get message from shop that PSU was burned in monitor then?

Shop:"We changed PSU and sending back good monitor to client" :) So psu get shorted then.

" Yes a shorted PSU will throw a breaker.... but it's a very rare thing for a (high quality) solid-state switch mode PSU to suddenly short out. "

Rare?Ok rare,but it happens.

SO why i get message from shop that PSU was burned in monitor then?dude read please

You think electricians only post on electrical forums? Yes a shorted PSU will throw a breaker.... but it's a very rare thing for a (high quality) solid-state switch mode PSU to suddenly short out. They usually find other ways to die, like pop a switcher and feed line voltage to whatever it was powering. It's FAR FAR FAR FAR more likely that something external caused the PSU to die while simultaneously pushing enough current long enough to trip a breaker.... like a floating neutral or lightning strike.

You are the one that needs to read because we have already answered it multiple times. If it's too complicated for you to understand, hire an electrician. Nothing we say can help you any more than we already have.

I call to 4 electricians and they said that things like this can happens. So trust to you or to 4 electricians and other forum? Answer is simple.

Yes, the monitor PSU could have tripped your breaker when it failed. Not able to see how the PSU is built (would need pictures for that), we can only assume it was either due to:
a) design fault (bad caps maybe? or perhaps weak rectifiers or hot-running PSU)
b) manufacturing fault (marginal component installed from the factory and showing as a latent failure)
c) power surge on the line, which happened to kill only the monitor PSU.

From these, A and B are the most likely culprits and C is usually rare.

Blowed halogen bulb ( which is common ) external too? lol

I call to 4 electricians and they said that things like this can happens. So trust to you or to 4 electricians and other forum? Answer is simple.

Where are we saying things like this can't happen? We're explaining that it's not the fault of the devices. A halogen bulb can blow and trip the breaker doing so. A monitor PSU can blow and trip the breaker doing so. The fact that BOTH things have happened in what appears to be relatively short period of time is suspicious and we are only advising that you make sure there isn't a problme and that they were in fact just coincidental flukes.

Yes, the monitor PSU could have tripped your breaker when it failed. Not able to see how the PSU is built (would need pictures for that), we can only assume it was either due to:
a) design fault (bad caps maybe? or perhaps weak rectifiers or hot-running PSU)
b) manufacturing fault (marginal component installed from the factory and showing as a latent failure)
c) power surge on the line, which happened to kill only the monitor PSU.

From these, A and B are the most likely culprits and C is usually rare.

C is not rare at all. There is an entire industry built around selling products that protect from surges. And it's very common to have a surge destroy only one thing on a circuit, usually because that thing happened to be the easiest path to take. I have a TV that literally blew up from a lightning strike. That same circuit had a DVR, PC, modem, game consoles, and network switches plugged in at the time and not one of them were affected.

Blowed halogen bulb ( which is common ) external too? lol

You feed a 2,000V sub-millisecond surge into an aged halogen bulb, it's going to blow before the breaker has time to realize something is wrong.

Where are we saying things like this can't happen? We're explaining that it's not the fault of the devices. A halogen bulb can blow and trip the breaker doing so. A monitor PSU can blow and trip the breaker doing so. The fact that BOTH things have happened in what appears to be relatively short period of time is suspicious and we are only advising that you make sure there isn't a problme and that they were in fact just coincidental flukes.

C is not rare at all. There is an entire industry built around selling products that protect from surges. And it's very common to have a surge destroy only one thing on a circuit, usually because that thing happened to be the easiest path to take. I have a TV that literally blew up from a lightning strike. That same circuit had a DVR, PC, modem, game consoles, and network switches plugged in at the time and not one of them were affected.

You feed a 2,000V sub-millisecond surge into an aged halogen bulb, it's going to blow before the breaker has time to realize something is wrong.
Hey. ok. So why halogen bulb tripped breakers then?

A circuit breaker is an automatically operated electrical switch designed to protect an electrical circuit from damage caused by excess current from an overload or short circuit. Its basic function is to interrupt current flow after a fault is detected.

First time: monitor psu second time:bulb halogen

Yeah and read bro:
https://www.drax.com/technology/breaking-circuits-to-keep-electricity-safe/
You don't understand what you are posting. This does not prove your point in the slightest.

Hey. ok. So why halogen bulb tripped breakers then?

It probably didn't. The likely faulty wiring in the house caused a problem and your electrical stuff blowing up is the evidence.

Cause: Bad, old or faulty wiring. Effect: Electrical stuff blowing up and breakers being tripped on a regular basis.

Your constantly tripping breakers and dying electronics are trying to tell you something but you are refusing to listen.

Because being a douchebag to the people trying to help you and are clearly more knowledgeable than you will get you the results you seek. Bye.

Back