Something tripped breaker. Pc was on idle.

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello. Today first time something tripped breaker in my house. I mean i was sitting on Windows 10 desktop ,like always and i hear BUM from fuse box. And power go down. Pc turned off.
I have that pc almost 1 year and something like that never happened. I think there was not circuit overload,because all devices was off,like tv,washer etc. Only pc was on. And nothing get damaged. Anybody have clue why it happened?

To turn back power again i change breaker to up of course. And its fine again.

PC:
Aorus AD27QD
AORUS PRO Z390-PRO GAMING
Aorus 2080 Ti waterforce stock
2x16GB DDR4 GSKILL XMP
9700K STOCK
Seasonic TX-750W TITANIUM PLUS PRIME

Never happened with that pc in whole year. Also pc is stable during full load etc.
Today i just browsing internet and power goes down with tripped breaker.
Pc working like before again. Weird any clues?

Its not big deal i am selling that pc to get 10900K and 3090 Rtx. But asking if nothing happened ? I want to sell good parts of course.

Last edited:
I figured out. Bulb get burned in bathroom !!!!LOL and that caused trip breaker. So pc is ok if its running?

AFCI tripping from the arc an incandescent bulb makes when it burns out, maybe?

PC should fine physically. Could be some data corruption if there’s file system activity going on when it went down, but since you said it was idle at the time I doubt that.

So propably that halogen bulb tripped breaker? Is this possible?
Somebody said that burned bulb shouldnt trip breaker.

Because 2 halogen working , third not.

So propably that halogen bulb tripped breaker? Is this possible?
Somebody said that burned bulb shouldnt trip breaker.

Because 2 halogen working , third not.
A regular breaker wouldn’t trip from a bulb burning out, but an AFCI (arc fault circuit interrupter) could because of the arc that’s created when the filament breaks.

Reactions: travm
like this
Or maybe something on pc it caused that?
Nah. The power supply has its own built protection - if anything in the PC failed to cause this, the power supply would have shut it down before the circuit breaker tripped.

Your machine is fine. Test all the components like you would with anything you intend to sell as working, and then carry on.

Had a new walmart branded LED shop light blow up in my newly built garage. Kicked the GFCI/ AFCI breaker off the sub panel. I thought it was something with the circuit. nope, just Wallyworld crap short circuiting

Last question. Is this possible that my pc on idle ( psu ) tripped breaker and power goes off? But like i said now its fine no issues,and in past nothing happened like that.
Only one bulb no lightning actually in bathroom. Thx.

Unless something was built incorrectly in your PSU, which is extremely unlikely given the manufacturer and how long it has been working, your PSU did not trip the breaker.

So if that happened once propably because of that bulb, no worries?

There have been issues with electronics tripping certain AFCI and GFCI breakers, but it would have been a something that was problem from day one. It having worked for a year without issue tells me you don’t have that problem.

Replace the bulb and pretend it never happened. Sell the components and sleep well at night.

Somebody said this to me:" You just confirmed your main (not just a circuit breaker) was tripped while using your computer. This should virtually NEVER happen unless you are fully overloading your main breaker (which by your description you are not). Computers and bulbs shouldn't ever blow a main breaker, just the breaker they are on. If your whole house breaker tripped, either something is wired very very wrong in your house and can cause a fire or shock (kill) someone OR your main breaker needs to be replaced which definitely needs an electrician to fix. " I am worried

Somebody said this to me:" You just confirmed your main (not just a circuit breaker) was tripped while using your computer. This should virtually NEVER happen unless you are fully overloading your main breaker (which by your description you are not). Computers and bulbs shouldn't ever blow a main breaker, just the breaker they are on. If your whole house breaker tripped, either something is wired very very wrong in your house and can cause a fire or shock (kill) someone OR your main breaker needs to be replaced which definitely needs an electrician to fix. " I am worried
This issue is completely separate from your computer.
Your PSU protects your components from damage. If the computer is working normally, it's fine. At very worst, you might need to replace the PSU if it suddenly becomes unstable.
That person is right. Call an electrician to investigate the panel and house wiring. That's the only way you'll relieve these worries.

Call an electrician. This has nothing to do with your PC.

If in fact your main breaker tripped, it could be many things. None of them are related to your PC. And it would require an electrician to identify the problem. However if it's only happened once, and doesn't happen again, call it ghosts and carry on with your life.

There was 2 breakers go to down. One for power in house,second for lightning in house. Then i push them up and all back.So i guess it was not the main,but two.

I ask my mother. She told that 2 breakers went down. 1 one for power for sockets in house,2 for lighting in house. But not RCD. So its normal?

I ask my mother. She told that 2 breakers went down. 1 one for power for sockets in house,2 for lighting in house. But not RCD. So its normal?
Not normal, a device that shorts is not on two circuits at the same time. If it happens again call someone to look at it and take note of which breakers are tripping /see what's on that circuit.

Reactions: travm
like this
The weirdest is that i call to 3 local electricians and they told me that this could happen if halogen bulbs will burn.So i dont know to who i can trust. Heh. But yes i am really greatful for answers.

It's still really weird that 2 circuits went down at the same time, and inidicates a potenitally serious electrical problem.

They could if they're both part of an MWBC and are tied together as they should be, at least in the US.

The weirdest is that i call to 3 local electricians and they told me that this could happen if halogen bulbs will burn.So i dont know to who i can trust. Heh. But yes i am really greatful for answers.
Trust the electricians on this one. They sounds like good honest people with that kind of reply.

Yep, if it happens again, without the halogen lights burning out be concerned. Otherwise carry on.

Last questions. Just why power in wallsockets go out and lights at the same time? RCD was not tripped but two small breakers,near each other. So power to wall sockets went down and lightning at the same time. So maybe my pc tripped that or it was that bulb?:) Thx

Last questions. Just why power in wallsockets go out and lights at the same time? RCD was not tripped but two small breakers,near each other. So power to wall sockets went down and lightning at the same time. So maybe my pc tripped that or it was that bulb?:) Thx
Lights and "wallsockets" are almost always on the same circuit. Its possible you have a common neutral wire. These questions are a little much for someone on a random internet forum to answer for you.

When something on a circuit overloads the breaker, every outlet on that circuit goes down as well. Different areas have different design codes as well, so what is done in my area may not be the case in yours. Typically both safe unless you try to mix rules.

Buy a book from Amazon on residential wiring, educate yourself.

I have an question. Its on my mind really,i am worried. So i never had an problem with pc ,computer ,its very expensive.
Maybe my pc tripped breaker,not that bulb? But like i said it happened once and pc is running fine now,like before.

Nah. The power supply has its own built protection - if anything in the PC failed to cause this, the power supply would have shut it down before the circuit breaker tripped.

Your machine is fine. Test all the components like you would with anything you intend to sell as working, and then carry on.
Last question. You said:" The power supply has its own built protection - if anything in the PC failed to cause this, the power supply would have shut it down before the circuit breaker tripped".

But 2 months ago my monitor get burned i mean something inside, it was fuse inside monitor, tripped breaker. Then monitor not turned on and i rma it.So why then monitor tripped breaker then? So if bad monitor tripped breaker why not pc psu ( seasonic ) short time ago? Or this is other situation?

I guess The power brick for the monitor likely did not have the same protection as the PC's PSU. ?

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe your monitor tripped a breaker.
You really should have an electrician look at your wiring.

I find it hard to believe your monitor tripped a breaker.
You really should have an electrician look at your wiring.
yes because monitor not turned on after outage only monitor. Everything else was working fine.

After rma they repaired PSU inside monitor and send be back good monitor.

Shop:"We repaired PSU and sending back good monitor to client" :) So can monitor psu blown a breaker?

Last edited:
So can monitor psu blown a breaker?
Yes. Any failure that creates a short between the hot wire and neutral wire coming out of the wall will cause the breaker on that circuit to trip. It is possible for this to happen inside any switching power supply, whether it's of the brick type that monitors use, or an ATX type like you'd see in a PC.

If you're having power supply failures and frequent tripped breakers, it actually might not be so bad an idea to have an electrician check the wiring in your house out.

Yes. Any failure that creates a short between the hot wire and neutral wire coming out of the wall will cause the breaker on that circuit to trip. It is possible for this to happen inside any switching power supply, whether it's of the brick type that monitors use, or an ATX type like you'd see in a PC.

If you're having power supply failures and frequent tripped breakers, it actually might not be so bad an idea to have an electrician check the wiring in your house out.
Just happened 2 months ago with monitor. And 2 weeks ago with bulb. Now its fine again. So ok?

If it's happened multiple times (twice now) and you haven't rewired anything or replaced any breakers, outlets, switches, then I'd say it's most probably not fine, and you should definitely get someone to look at it.

Back