Something Strange with Steam

KillerButler

Limp Gawd
I can browse the internet, Download file, and Talk on TS with blazing speeds. The minute I try to log into Steam and do a server refresh, my web broswer goes offline. The verizon guy just left and said I have amazing speed in my area. But still Steam drops my web browser. No matter what browser I use. IE, Firefox, and netscape.

I searched the steampowered forums for this problem and can not find the answer.

Here are system specs.

AM2 X2 4600
ASUS M2N-SLI Motherboard
2 X 1GB PNY DDR2-800 Ram
7950 GTX2
150GB Raptor Drive
Onboard Giga-Net

Verizon Service:
15MB/s Down
2 MB/s Up

Speedtest from Speakeasy and Verizons service is saying I am getting what I should get. But steam is busting my Web browser.

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post. Please move to proper forum section if this is the wrong one.

This happens on many routers out there, when you refresh browsers and it starts throwing 100's of pings out and the router falls over.

I was given this POS ActionTEC router. I tried to have them give me a regular DSL modem, but since I have the TV service as well. I have to use this POS.

That used to happen to me on my linksys router. It's a fairly common problem and as far as I know valve still hasn't fixed it. It's one of those valve says "it works on most routers so it must be your router" and the router companies say "our router works for everything else so it must be steam".

There may be some workarounds you can find on the forums www.steampowered.com, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. The problem is that you're pinging too many servers at once. Your best bet is to get a group of about a dozen favorites on your server list and only ping those.

if its possible its not steam or router, maybe its a windows setting that refers to a limit of incoming or outgoing connections or something along those lines and forces the NIC to reset, anyways just an idea, not a big problem just more of an annoyance.

XP with Servicepack 2 should have the tcp connections limited to about 10. Considering the things Im doing, I replaced it with another DLL I found through google, that changes it from 10 to 50 connections.

Back