Something I notice about Windows 8...

I was looking at pics of old online services when I saw something from AOL 3.0 that reminded of Windows 8. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. :D

Windows-8-Demotivator.jpg

That's "AOL Kids Only" edition. The dumbing down of America is complete. Walk down your street & look at the f'in zombies walk in front of buses, into open manholes or fountains in a mall because they're so totally engrossed with their facebooked or tweeter postings. Darwinism can't work fast enough to keep up with these assclams. History is the new future & we're all doomed. YEAH ;)

What's sad is that the AOL version is actually more creative in some ways

What's sad is your trolling abilities.

Please enlighten me, how is that trolling? They obviously put some creative thought into the design they used and it seems pretty advanced for the level of graphical technology available in 1996.

I'm sorry, but the Windows 8 tiles are really not pushing the envelope here in terms of 21st century graphical creativity.

Please enlighten me, how is that trolling? They obviously put some creative thought into the design they used and it seems pretty advanced for the level of graphical technology available in 1996.

I'm sorry, but the Windows 8 tiles are really not pushing the envelope here in terms of 21st century graphical creativity.
What Microsoft is trying to achieve is to make it VERY simple, they argue that classic windows interface is complicated and difficult to work with. For basic people to use. I don't believe metro or windows 8 will offer anything to any more advanced user and especially users of desktop computers.

I'm running Win8 Preview as VM under Linux, I found a simple registry hack to disable the mickey mouse menu and get a regular desktop /w Start menu. Just google.

people dont seem to understand Metro - tablet / touch screens

this is MS trying to meklt the desktop / mobile OS together as Apple is trying to do.

windows 8 to me only has metro and a new sta\rt button, once you pin your apps in your super bar... life goes on.

I'm running Win8 Preview as VM under Linux, I found a simple registry hack to disable the mickey mouse menu and get a regular desktop /w Start menu. Just google.

Thats for the developer preview, not the customer one. They removed that option because having less options and less customability is a good thing...

Thats for the developer preview, not the customer one. They removed that option because having less options and less customability is a good thing...

Yes it IS the developer preview, I can't even change the color scheme. Exported scheme from Win7 registry and imported into Win8, it worked for only a few settings. Ugh, Ima sticking with Linux, at least their Mickey mouse distros are free.

I know you're trolling, but for those who aren't aware... RPEnabled refers to "redpill" - as in the red pill from the Matrix. Early builds don't have all features enabled by default. When Developer Preview was released, the build was essentially a "red pill enabled" tech preview given to customers. Shortly after Developer Preview was released, since all of the features were enabled in a build available to the public, the redpill was removed and the task of cleaning up old code was started. As part of this, the legacy start menu code was pruned, as well as the code referring to the rpenabled registry key.

As for options and customability [sic], I really like Raymond Chen's opinion on this. In "The checkbox: The mating call of the loser", he lays out why such customization is both cowardly and dangerous. It's cowardly, because it never paves a path forward (sometimes we have to make the hard choices to find out what really works or does not). It's dangerous, because the exploding test matrix of including checkboxes to enable whole code paths becomes unsustainable over the course of multiple products.

I wonder if that includes the latest versions of Direct X....
They've been mum on the subject, but the landscape of DirectX as a whole is changing significantly. You won't be able to grab the SDK separately from the Windows SDK, which may very well mean no more DirectX updates of any kind for Windows 7.

We'll see what happens, but their silence is not reassuring.

They've been mum on the subject, but the landscape of DirectX as a whole is changing significantly. You won't be able to grab the SDK separately from the Windows SDK, which may very well mean no more DirectX updates of any kind for Windows 7.

We'll see what happens, but their silence is not reassuring.

To quote the great Professor Farnsworth:

...I'm sad now.

Back