Something happened to my MacBook speakers :(

Discussion in 'Apple Products' started by maverick786us, Apr 11, 2018.

1. maverick786us

maverick786us [H]ard|Gawd

Not sure if its because of the latest update. But Whenever I play youtube or any movie. There is this crackling sound in the speakers as if the speakers are bursting.

My MacBook is more than an year old I have started worrying that if the speakers are really gone, it will cost me a lot to get it repaired :(

The problem is with the right speaker, mostly related to bass

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

Apple aren't total jerks. Take it to the Apple Store. They can diagnose it. They can NetBoot it and test it in their environment. If it's something software, you'll know and they don't charge for the diagnostic.

maverick786us likes this.
  3. Farkle

Farkle Lurker

They wear out and tear around the edges eventually. It's an easy fix -- check iFixit.

4. maverick786us

I showed it to Apple Service Center. He said, the speaker is gone and needs replacement, with an estimated cost of 100$ and it will take 4-5 days.
    When i asked him, how the hell this happened, when i took extra care for my MacBook. He said VLC media player pushes speakers beyond the limit, and is not recommended. WTF

5. Farkle

Farkle Lurker

It's a $10-$20 part depending on if it's the left or right+subwoofer speaker. Only a few screws and some cable routing. VLC can clip the speakers because you can configure it for higher gain than it is meant to be played at, but I highly doubt this is the case. Quite simply, the surround on the speakers through humidity changes and use just wears down and eventually tears. Genius Bar and Service Center employees lie their asses off all the time to customers; they stripped three screw holes in my 2009 MacBook Pro 13" replacing the fan and blamed it on me for installing third party RAM and hard drive (which were replaced on day 1, and the screws were fine -- I even put new Loctite on them.) I never got resolution even from corporate on the matter, and just ended up sourcing bigger screws. When my trackpad in my mid-2012 years later went wonky on me, I got the thing back with a white pressure circle on the display, took it back to them, and they told me the reason for the trackpad failure was an impact on the MacBook hitting something or being dropped, that also caused the display problem and as a courtesy they repaired it without cost to me. After a long talk with the manager, he finally made it right by replacing the screen and acted like he was doing the ultimate favor and breaking some rule by not charging me for it. If it isn't a logic board failure, pretty much do the repairs yourself if it is out of warranty... at least you know it'll be done right that way.

maverick786us likes this.
  6. maverick786us

Strange. I also have a 2014 HP Envy 15 laptop which is crappy compared to this MacBook pro and nothing happened to it. This high quality MacBook speakers got affected simply because of humidity

7. maverick786us

Well I got the speakers replaced from a local vendor, for 50$. When i visited him and told him the problem, he said if I was using VLC Media player. He said he will provide 3 months warranty, but if I use VLC Media player, he cannot grantee anything. Few weeks before my speaker was damaged, i upgraded to latest version of VLC Media player to support H.265 compression format.

Anyhow VLC Media player is an open source product, its loudness and clarity is much better than quicktime I will remove it from my MacBook. Can someone recommend me a good player for playing movies specially H.265 format?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018