Someone tell me how to fix this problem please!

newster

Gawd
Everytime I install new ATi drivers, my computer refuses to run any 3d applications and everything runs like a slideshow is 2d. I ran dxdiag and all my direct x files are there and stuff and it recognizes my video card. It doesn't recognize how much ram it has, and says directx functionality isn't available. When I go to display properties, it recognizes the card, and ATiTool recognizes the card, but I still can't run anything 3d.

I am currently on the 4.8 cats, and even when I reinstall the 4.8s it happens. The only way is to restore my system back to before I installed any new drivers. I don't want to be stuck with these old drivers when HL2 comes out, so if anyone can tell me what I can do, or if I'm just fubar.

Video card is an X800Pro.

Well that certainly qualifies as an odd problem. I'd recommend you download driver cleaner from Driver Heaven and then do the following:

1. Install Driver Cleaner
2. Download the latest Catalysts + fix
3. Reboot your system and press F8 while its loading and boot into safe mode.
4. Use the ATi driver uninstall utility found in the add/remove section in the control panel.
5. Once the driver/control panel have been removed, run Driver Cleaner and remove any fragments of the previous drivers.
6. Reboot your system and once Windows is loaded, install your new Catalysts drivers + fix.

After that simply reboot your system one more time after installation of the drivers and you should be good to go. Make sure you also have the latest AGP chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Ok, here is the stumper! I do all that, but this still happens. 4.8's for life? Please tell me it ain't so!

Well I guess your recourse would be to reinstall Windows and then make sure you have the latest mobo drivers, those are crucial. Then do a clean install of the drivers as well. If you've done all that and STILL have a problem then I dunno what it could be. Try reflashing your card, might be a bad bios flash but I doubt it--but worth a try anyway.

That's what happens when the SMARTGART doesn't initialize (or hasn't initialized yet), pretty common problem. Basically you lose all DX functionality plus acceleration (hence the slow 2D effects). I've had this happen a few times but another reboot has always been the solution for me.

Is there a way to force smartgart to initialize? Even after rebooting multiple times, the problem remains.

I have actually tried that too and its the same thing. DirectX is installed, but the card cannot use it.

P.S. I thank everyone who has responded for giving me time of day.

Well you'll know if the GART has initialized usually since your screen will flicker black and back, right at start-up. Plus you should see a SMARTGART tab for the video card's control panel. Sometimes problems with this can be related to AGP issues (boards), and also fastwrites and other similar features (BIOS, and you can also access them with other programs like RivaTuner).

Back