Someone talk me out of it, quick...

madmat

2[H]4U
Newegg has the Crucial M500 256GB for $79 right now and it's killing me wanting to get it when those funds are earmarked for something else. Right now I need to hear all the reasons to not buy one.

Hahaha, well you definitely don't want me in this thread then. :D

Amazon has it at $79.99 as well, if you prefer AMZN. On newegg, use masterpass on mobile checkout (mblmaster15), and get another $15 off...

I don't like Crucial SSDs as much as Samsung SSDs. Crucial has a higher return rate than Samsung on hardware.fr survey, and also, if you look at latency statistics for Crucial for a large number of IOs, Crucial has some IOs that drag on for a long time, and Samsung has almost no long ones (techreport.com has benchmarks on that sort of thing).

I don't like Crucial SSDs as much as Samsung SSDs. Crucial has a higher return rate than Samsung on hardware.fr survey, and also, if you look at latency statistics for Crucial for a large number of IOs, Crucial has some IOs that drag on for a long time, and Samsung has almost no long ones (techreport.com has benchmarks on that sort of thing).

So, when you say drags on for a long time are we talking comparable to mechanical hard drives long or just not as quick as other ssd drives long? I've never had an ssd so if certain operations are going to only be marginally faster I can't see bothering.

So, when you say drags on for a long time are we talking comparable to mechanical hard drives long or just not as quick as other ssd drives long? I've never had an ssd so if certain operations are going to only be marginally faster I can't see bothering.

You should read the SSD articles on techreport.com. They are long articles. Do not even considering purchasing until you have read every word.

You should read the SSD articles on techreport.com. They are long articles. Do not even considering purchasing until you have read every word.

By the time I finish all of those the price of SSD drives will be at the same level as mechanical drives. I did peruse their review of the older M500's though but going off a review of drives that aren't the drive in question is like trying to figure out if I like tangerines based on the flavor of a mandarin orange. Yeah, they may look similar but they're just not the same thing.

Still, I think I'm going to hold off for now, I've got other rats to kill so to speak.

Why do you want an SSD? They are faster, quieter, and will make you smile when your computer boots so fast. If your money is budgeted for food, just go to the cheap store and buy some off-brand Ramen :)

Why do you want an SSD? They are faster, quieter, and will make you smile when your computer boots so fast. If your money is budgeted for food, just go to the cheap store and buy some off-brand Ramen :)

Money is earmarked for water cooling gear and a CPU. Food is already taken care of.

If backed into a corner with only either or to choose, I would get the SSD over water cooling. It will make you smile big. And you can always add WC later. ;)

Get the SSD. Who knows how long it will be before a decent 240-256GB capacity SSD pops up at this price again.

Best way to get rid of temptation is to give in to it.

SSD > WC. Get your priorities straight, man!

There are better SSD's. Just wait, save your money, and get one that you'll be extra proud to have versus getting "the convenient one on sale".

Definitely get it. I have bought 4 crucial ssds and they are all awesome

while this isn't Intel 730 / Sandisk Extreme Pro and Samsung 850Pro performance class for sustained writes, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with M500 for $79.

Unless you are doing HEAVY, I mean really heavy databases, virtualization stuff with extreme queue depths and three-hour long writes in a row, you would be hardly pressed to actually NOTICE a difference between SSD A and SSD B. There is no comparison to spinning HDDs as of performance.

Feel free to get it. Don't have to debate too long. I know, I didn't talk you out exactly as you might have expected but so didn't other guys :)

So you've had a few days, why haven't you come back and scolded us for talking you INTO it yet?

Back