Someone please explain IL-2 Sturmovic 1946 to me.

redman223

Gawd
Is there a story to this game or is it all just a series of seemingly random skirmishes? How do you even know when you are done with the mission? When you are done with your objectives do you just exit? Also, how do you access the expansions that were included in 1946, like Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters? Everything just gets buried in the interface.

This game seems like it could be really cool...but it needs a lot of work in accessibility. Compared to the mission briefings in Descent Freespace, the ones in this game flat out suck, I don't see how anybody could defend them (isn't Freespace like 3 years older as well?). Unless I am missing something, which is why I am asking for help. I would like to enjoy this game, but if there is nothing more than random flying I will look elsewhere.

I played the hell out of the first one , I can remember it having mission mode and skirmish modes. I remember in mission mode having to take off and fly to the objective it was a really drawn out process but hitting the page up key sped up the time, sorry I can't tell you more, I usually just played in skirmish mode though.

Comparing the presentation and accessibility of literally any game to either of the Freespace titles is an exercise in futility. The integration of plot elements into briefings, the excellent voicework and exemplary soundtrack... They don't make games like that anymore.

On topic, however, Pacific Fighters suffered from the same issues and I found that just quitting after fulfilling mission objectives was sufficient iirc. It's been a while though so test it out on a quick mission so you don't waste your time.

Ok, I have done that a few times in missions but didn't know if that is how it is supposed to be done. Its a fun game, and the skirmishes are good, I was just wondering if I was missing something. I guess I was looking for plot elements being integrated into the briefings, hoping that they were there in one of the campaigns that came with the game but maybe wasn't advertised well. Are there any flight sim games that have that style of single player campaign? Maybe LOMAC, Falcon, DCS: Blackshark, Strike Fighters 2, etc? I just picked up an x52 pro and have been wanting to play some good games. So far I have only played IL-2 and Descent Freespace (a port of the original using updated Freespace 2 graphics, via the Freespace SCP).

Well the makers of IL-2 will be coming out with a new game sometime this year, so hopefully that will be able to replace this game on my hard drive.

I personally don't know of any real life flight sims with the kind of things you're seeking but if you're willing to try more fictional franchises I highly recommend the older lucasarts space shooters, specifically TIE Fighter and X-Wing: Alliance. You may have to overcome compatability issues depending on your OS but the payoff is more than worth the effort.

I always wanted to play TIE Fighter, I think I played X-Wing: Alliance back in the day. I realized that I have only really played space sims, and wanted to give some regular flight sim games a chance as well. HAWX doesn't really count, but I can't even play that until the 1.02 patch comes out, whenever that will be (supposed to fix DX10 issues and add joystick/controller deadzone adjustment).

There is also Lock On, and one of my favourite sim - Flanker 2.5 (with MiG 29 patch)

Tho I'd love to have Microprose making flight sims again, would love to see proper continuation of Gunship 2000 (and Gunship! ain't countin as it was crap) or F15 strike eagle :) Heck, I'd love even to see such a merc game like Strike Commander, as Hawx is just bad ripoff of that game :) That was fun game - where you actually had to pay for your planes and ammo :)

Ok, I have done that a few times in missions but didn't know if that is how it is supposed to be done. Its a fun game, and the skirmishes are good, I was just wondering if I was missing something. I guess I was looking for plot elements being integrated into the briefings, hoping that they were there in one of the campaigns that came with the game but maybe wasn't advertised well. Are there any flight sim games that have that style of single player campaign? Maybe LOMAC, Falcon, DCS: Blackshark, Strike Fighters 2, etc? I just picked up an x52 pro and have been wanting to play some good games. So far I have only played IL-2 and Descent Freespace (a port of the original using updated Freespace 2 graphics, via the Freespace SCP).

Well the makers of IL-2 will be coming out with a new game sometime this year, so hopefully that will be able to replace this game on my hard drive.

The online community is where it's at. There's a very active multi-player following, and many high quality user made campaigns and missions. If you want to play a campaign or missions, defintly check out the user made stuff, as it's much better than stock. Just go to SimHQ and look for the IL2:1946 forum, or the Ubisoft forum.

The Uber-Quick Mission Generator is also a good utility to have. It's a much more powerful skirmish generator.

I guess I was looking for plot elements being integrated into the briefings, hoping that they were there in one of the campaigns that came with the game but maybe wasn't advertised well. Are there any flight sim games that have that style of single player campaign?
Please stand-by for the mandatory "Play Crimson Skies!" injection: Play Crimson Skies!

You play it online with hyper lobby. That's what made it fun for me

Just reinstalled this weekend - Hyperlobby was a bit pissed with Vista x64 until I modified the default skin's .ini file.

yes as a matter of fact they are coming out with a new game this year.
Storm of War:Battle of Britain. comes out first week of June..supposedly the successor to IL2:1946...
look at some of the vids on youtube with "storm of war" as search.
The game looks impressive..

yes as a matter of fact they are coming out with a new game this year.
Storm of War:Battle of Britain. comes out first week of June..supposedly the successor to IL2:1946...
look at some of the vids on youtube with "storm of war" as search.
The game looks impressive..

Not a chance it'll be out in June, that's typical (r)etailer speculation and it's far more likely to be Q4 if it makes this year.

Back