Someone help I have a unknown device in my Comp..

Jasonx82

Supreme [H]ardness
I just reformatted with win xp x64 pro.

Everything works fine. I check the hardware manager and see there is a device that hasnt been installed. I cant figure out what it is..

Hardware I have:
A8n-Sli-Deluxe - Nforce 4 x64 driver *installed
BFG 7800GTX - Nvidia 77.72 x64 driver *installed

Everything is recognized, hard drives, sound, monitor, network card..

thats the 2 things i installed. I dont have any other add in cards installed. Anyone know. I was thinking I go home and ask the unknown device to search drivers from my Asus CD.. :eek: Anyone know what it is?

This is more of a Windows question, belongs in a different forum. But who knows, it could be anything .... I wouldn't worry about it unless you're having problems with something. With the plethora of devices that come on these new motherboards it's amazing you don't have 2 or 3 unknown devices by the time Windows is done installing.

Could be a RAID controller ... do you have RAID disabled in BIOS?

i hate it when that crap happens. i once installed a cd drive in my comp and for months, on startup, my computer would pop up and say there was an unrecognized device. the cd burner worked perfectly fine, but that message was always there...until one day, it just stopped popping up. no reason, i guess it just took windows that long to get its shit together. ah, memories... :D sorry, just wanted to share.

I have that damned problem as well. I just reinstalled XP only thing different is that I am using an IDE drive to boot off of instead of the SATA drive. It did not do this before. I am suing 32bit XP Pro, installed the 6.66 driver rebooted then installed the 77.77 drivers. Everything works, it lists the device as an Unkown Device and it is located on the PCI bus. I can not figure it out either. I have the PRemium version of this board.

Psyco :confused:

just a guess here, but if its a A8N-SLI Deluxe and you have the latest nforce drivers installed, then i would look at what isn't part of the standard nforce package; the sillicon image SATA controller and the second NIC. Just a guess tho, unidentified hardware is no fun.

Psst, you've got that aluminum foil hat ready??

OK, lean close and listen carefully....

It's the hidden device that reports all of your internet activity to the Government. It's been successfully hidden in prior versions of the OS, but they didn't count on the power of 64bit code :D

Make sure to not tell anyone else, and to delete this post after reading it. Otherwise, you'll be chased just like in "Conspiracy Theory" ;)

actually, i have an A*N-E board with the same problem, until i fixed it. afaik what it was for me, was that when you have the raid function enabled, you have to disable the hard drives in the first screen in the bios (just set them to none) and whatever drives you aren't using, do this to also....then in the ide setup or whatever, disable any drive which you aren't using (i mean, like, port or whatever, disable whatever ones aren't in use) and when i rebooted, that worked...afaik

there might have been something to do with power, but i dont think so, im 99% sure thats all id id

I had that problem too. The fix was to put your support cd (m/b drivers and software)in the cd drive and then in device manager, select update driver and let it search the cd drive automatically. It will find the driver and update.

I believe installing AiBooster from the Asus download area will take care of that. Searching the CD for the (older) driver also works.

Back