Someone backup Windows 10 DVD player

pinoy

Limp Gawd
It's true Windows 10 does not play DVDs. But Microsoft will give you a coupon for a free download of Windows 10 DVD Player via Update. Free only applies to upgrade Windows installations. If you do a clean install you forfeit or pay $15 for the privilege.

I was wondering if there is a way to backup the installation files of the DVD player so it can be manually reinstalled after doing a clean Windows install?

Are you talking about the "N Edition" that has no windows media player?

You can download 3rd party media players which are better than windows players.

OP should also have mentioned that only Windows installs that had Media Center installed will get the free DVD player crap from Microsoft.

Don't want readers here who don't know that to freak out if their upgrade doesn't get the free download.

Yeesh.. an absolute ton of crap you don't need in there.
All you really need is LAV Filters and a copy of Media Player Classic-Homecinema. That or VLC, it brings it's own codecs to the party.

Actually that's one of the better ones, the standard version is just LAV Filters and xy-VSFilter. It just also has a GUI for changing common registry keys to get the codecs to work better in Windows Media Player, and how to undo some damage caused by some of the other crappier packs. It's more than what the average person needs but it's not going to mess anything up.

I tried VLC on two computers with Windows 10 and could not get DVD hardware acceleration to work with Geforce 8400GS and a Radeon HD 6870. It just kept crashing. The Windows Store version of VLC looks very promising but buggy. Media Player Classic did enable hardware acceleration so I'm sticking with them for now.

Last edited:
download madvr plugin and install only 32bit of MPC-HC if you haven't done so.

it's the best thing since sliced cheese (or something like that).

most avsforums.com/hometheater forum l337 HTPC users use this combination and it's great.

Back