Someone affordable quad gigabyte nic?

Ncage

n00b
Hey guys just bought a quad port gigabit nic off of ebay and this is the most trouble i've ever had with hardware with windows. Its a rebranded "Intel Pro/1000 VT Quad Port PCI-e" which is rebranded as a dell YT674. I found out that this adapter wouldn't work with my server 2012 r2 install :(. I chose an intel adapter because i though for sure if my cheap $30 intel adapter i bought off newegg would work with just about anything then so would this. Boy was i wrong. The newest driver dell has is 2012 (for 2008R2) which doesn't work and intel doesn't even have a driver for it. I was quite surprised a driver wasn't bundled with windows.

They only somewhat helpful thing i found was this:
http://danieljloughlin.wordpress.co...-port-server-adapter-and-windows-server-2012/

Which he doesn't tell you "exactly" what driver to use other than the hardware id which isn't that useful. There is a huge list of them which i had to find scouring in the temp files created during the install.

Anyways it looks like it will be resold. Does anyone know of a quad port gigabit nic that won't cost and arm & a leg that you could get for a descent price from somewhere like ebay? Hopefully its HIGHLY supported in case i try to repurpose it for something like linux.

I have a Hotlava 6 port (Intel) gigabit card that I got off eBay for $100. Works great in ESXi, not sure about Windows, but I'd imagine it'd work fine.

I have a Hotlava 6 port (Intel) gigabit card that I got off eBay for $100. Works great in ESXi, not sure about Windows, but I'd imagine it'd work fine.

Thanks but i just went to their site and its pretty barren. When you click on support all there is an email contact form. I'm probably going to wait until i can find a card that the maker actually has a driver download for server 2012 (r2)..though i'd feel somewhat safe if it was only server 2012.

Did you try the x64 2008 R2 driver? Quite often they will work but you need to manually install them.

I have one of those intel cards as well, works fine in Linux and in ESXi, FWIW. I haven't touched Windows 2012 though.

Did you try driver update? The card itself should work, driver support was probably ended with 2k8r2/Win7. Have you tried downloading a 2012/2012R2 version of Intel ProSet?

Did you try driver update? The card itself should work, driver support was probably ended with 2k8r2/Win7. Have you tried downloading a 2012/2012R2 version of Intel ProSet?

Yep and i actually had problems trying to remove the drivers after they didn't work.

Lol ESXi and Linux better driver compatibility then Windows.

I know right? I bought the card because i've never had a card that wouldn't work with the most recent version of windows. Apparently dell & intel has abandoned the card. It looks like i'm going to have to spend about $200 for a used card from ebay to be assured it will work with server 2012 which is very suprising since it was shipping with new dell servers in 2009. Intels chepo card that i got off of newegg works with everything (and i can still download drivers from them). Why would the abandon a card that they made LOTS of more money on.

No it doesn't, it's just that Intel differentiates which chipsets (controllers) that are server hardware and not. It's clearly stated in the Intel Ethernet Unified Driver for Windows Server OSes which ones are supported.
//Danne

Necro.

I'm running a Pro 1000 VT in 3 Windows Servers and all I had to do was select each "Unknown Network Adapter" in Device Manager, Update Driver, search for the driver I want to use, browse to Intel, Pro1000 VT, and use that built in driver. Works great!

Necro.

I'm running a Pro 1000 VT in 3 Windows Servers and all I had to do was select each "Unknown Network Adapter" in Device Manager, Update Driver, search for the driver I want to use, browse to Intel, Pro1000 VT, and use that built in driver. Works great!

Hi, have you guys tested it with ESXi 5.5? I'll be getting two of these and I'm already getting ready for the worst :)

My apologies OP, I think that it was me who recommended said Pro1000VT card in the first place. Didn't realize that there were compatibility issues with Server 2012.

I've gotten it to work in Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, XenServer 6.2 and ESXi 5.5

Back