Some Video Card And CPU advice

Yamaguchi

Weaksauce
I am going to buy a new computer very soon. I am deciding between a 4870 and gtx260, from what i hear both cards are good but i am unsure of which to get. I am going to but a 21.5 inch monitor. One of my friends says dual core is better for CPU because more games support it and another friend says quad is better, what do i get ?

Quad and GTX 260 over 4870...IMO. You can't go wrong with either but the 260 has better minimum FPS which is important to me.

What is your budget exactly? I can give you a better idea of what to shop for if I know how much you have to spend.

well first of all thanks, i live in Canada and my budget is like around 1000 dollars, ill be playing Farcry 2, Fallout 3 and Diablo 3, Startcraft 2, WoW all maxed. I want a good card and processor that can support all those games now and in the future.

Is that Canadian dollars? I assume it is. So that translates to roughly ~$825 to spend.

When you say you are going to buy a new computer soon are you planning to build it yourself or are you looking at prebuilt comps? Also, will you be using anything from your last build or do you need a complete system from the ground up?

i know all the parts i need to buy just for the video card and processor
so you can figure out all the other parts but the video card and cpu have you stumped? you might want to list those parts because based on the questions you are asking you might need some help.

If you buy an Intel chipset, you should buy an ATI graphic card because you will have the option to add another one later. Just get a quad core and overclock it. If you are planning to get a HD 4870, get the 1GB version because 512MB is not quite enough for the card.

If you buy an Intel chipset, you should buy an ATI graphic card because you will have the option to add another one later. Just get a quad core and overclock it. If you are planning to get a HD 4870, get the 1GB version because 512MB is not quite enough for the card.
he doesnt have to get an ATI card just so he will have the option to add another one. it makes more sense just to get the best card for the price. plus by the time he decides to add another card it would make more sense to sell that card and just get a new faster single card with new tech.

yeah my friend recently got a gtx 260 with a dual core i think i am leaning towards quad core now from what i hear. And i think 4870 is better for the price

you might want to list those parts because based on the questions you are asking you might need some help.

I agree. Please list the parts you have already decided on so we can provide you with better options to choose from.

HD 4870 and GTX 260 have about the same performance and price. He can't be wrong by going with either of those cards. Having an upgrade option is always a positive thing eventhough he would probably not get another one later.

$1,000, is this the total amount for the whole computer build or just the cpu/video card? The 21.5" lcd you want to buy has a native res of 1920 x 1080. You should get at least a GTX 260(216) or Radeon HD 4870 1gig.

its for the whole build im buying.
The monitor has the rez of a 24 inch but pushed into a 21.5 inch monitor so it has amazing quality. This is it here, http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=437251

For the Ram my friend told me this would work pretty good. Its 4g
http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=350715

For the Hardrive im buying this. It's all i really need
http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=335826

This is the motherboard that i am getting.
http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=410768

This is the 4870 that i am leaning towards buying at the moment.
http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=441183

For the Processor i am leaning towards this.
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=411138

And also, i am not sure that my 450 watt power supply is enough for all of this.
Would i need to buy a 520 watt ?

its for the whole build im buying.
The monitor has the rez of a 24 inch but pushed into a 21.5 inch monitor so it has amazing quality. This is it here, http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=437251

For the Ram my friend told me this would work pretty good. Its 4g
http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=350715

For the Hardrive im buying this. It's all i really need
http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=335826

This is the motherboard that i am getting.
http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=410768

This is the 4870 that i am leaning towards buying at the moment.
http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=441183

For the Processor i am leaning towards this.
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=411138

And also, i am not sure that my 450 watt power supply is enough for all of this.
Would i need to buy a 520 watt ?

Go 4870, you are getting an intel board and you may want to xfire later. Get a larger PS for xfire support. Even if you are not ever going xfire, a new vid board later on will need the watts. 650W min. 850W is better.

Go 4870, you are getting an intel board and you may want to xfire later. Get a larger PS for xfire support. Even if you are not ever going xfire, a new vid board later on will need the watts. 650W min. 850W is better.
he doesnt need anything remotely close to 650 watts much less 850 with that system. also crossfire or sli is usually a useless upgrade path.

he doesnt need anything remotely close to 650 watts much less 850 with that system. also crossfire or sli is usually a useless upgrade path.

SLI and Crossfire "usually" useless!? LMAO!

So in what scenarios is is not usually useless?

SLI and Crossfire useless!? LMAO!

I said they are usually a useless upgrade path. if he gets a 4870 now and then in 6 months newer and faster single cards cards come it would make more sense to get new tech then to stick another older card in there.

think how stupid having 2 3870 cards would be compared to 1 4870.

I see your point however when you consider that 4870's are already under $200, and will more than likely be $100-150 six months from now, it doesn't make sense to me to stay on the bleeding edge for a few more fps when you will spending a decent bit more money for those last few fps.

The 4870X2 is still selling for over $500, at least 90% of them.

So in six months he could have a 4870 Crossfire setup with approx. $350 invested vs the new faster single card that will no doubt be $500+ and barely be off the pace.

well if if you think having two slower oudtated cards makes more sense then faster one single card with newer features then perhaps you should be laughing at yourself.

That's NOT what I wrote so don't try and twist it around bert.

I see your point however when you consider that 4870's are already under $200, and will more than likely be $100-150 six months from now, it doesn't make sense to me to stay on the bleeding edge for a few more fps when you will spending a decent bit more money for those last few fps.

The 4870X2 is still selling for over $500, at least 90% of them.

So in six months he could have a 4870 Crossfire setup with approx. $350 invested vs the new faster single card that will no doubt be $500+ and barely be off the pace.
what? I never said anything about an expensive card like a 4870x2. just look at the 3870 analogy. you could buy a 4850 for cheaper than you you buy 2 3870 cards. in 6 months when the 5870 comes out it will likely be 300 bucks and be almost twice as fast as 2 4870 cards. it make more sense to sell the 4870 at that time and buy a 5870. why is this so hard to understand?

in 6 months when the 5870 comes out it will likely be 300 bucks and be almost twice as fast as 2 4870 cards. it make more sense to sell the 4870 at that time and buy a 5870. why is this so hard to understand?

Because your sense and my sense don't jive. Dig?

You're smoking something really good over there if you think ATI is going to release a card within 6 months that is almost TWICE AS FAST as a Crossfire 4870 setup for under $300. Seriously? Did you mean to type that? So you actually think ATI is stupid enough to release a card within six months that will trump the 4870X2 with double the performance for half the price?

Get a grip.

The motherboard he is getting has one (1) PCI-E slot, so arguing over SLI vs Crossfire is irrelevant. Seriously guys, stop it with the derail. It's not helping the OP.

With that in mind, I'd go with the GTX260 instead.

To the OP, what 450W PSU are you thinking of using? If it's good quality you're fine.

Because your sense and my sense don't jive. Dig?

You're smoking something really good over there if you think ATI is going to release a card within 6 months that is almost TWICE AS FAST as a Crossfire 4870 setup for under $300. Seriously? Did you mean to type that? So you actually think ATI is stupid enough to release a card within six months that will trump the 4870X2 with double the performance for half the price?

Get a grip.
how many examples do you want? I can list as many as you need that shows in MOST cases its better to go with the next gen fastest card then to add a second older card and thats a FACT.

Just stop with your bs - please.
the same thing I just told him goes for you too.

how many examples do you want? I can list as many as you need that shows in MOST cases its better to go with the next gen fastest card then to add a second older card and thats a FACT.

Now you're back to using absolutes again and using the word "fastest", yet when I mentioned the 4870X2 earlier you freaked out and said no, no, no...that's not what I'm talking about here.

Why don't you just stop with the claims and provide examples? Did you really need another reply from me requesting that you do so? If you really could provide multiple examples you would have done so already.

Feel free to try and list three examples that prove your point as FACT. :rolleyes:

Now you're back to using absolutes again and using the word "fastest", yet when I mentioned the 4870X2 earlier you freaked out and said no, no, no...that's not what I'm talking about here.

Why don't you just stop with the claims and provide examples? Did you really need another reply from me requesting that you do so? If you really could provide multiple examples you would have done so already.

Feel free to try and list three examples that prove your point as FACT. :rolleyes:
how is using the word MOST have anything to do with absolutes? you obviously need to read more carefully because I even put that word in all caps just to emphasize that. of course there are scenarios where upgrading to another card makes sense.

okay heres a few random ones for you that show getting a new single card would be the smarter choice. this doesnt even cover the hassles of multi card setups. this is simply example of if you had one of these cards that it would make sense to sell it and buy a new rather that fool with crossfire or sli. also these scenarios also revolve around the same price brackets. for example I had a 9600gt but it more sense to sell it and buy the gtx260 that was on sale for $165 at the time.

3850 in crossfire compared to 4850
3870 in crossfire worse than 4870
3870x2 worse in crossfire than 4870x2
3650 worse in crossfire than a 4670
8600gt sli worse than 9600gt
9600gt sli worse than gtx260 for about the same price

you will find that in most case it makes more sense to upgrade to a new card rather than add another one. the cost is usually about the same in the long run and you will have an overall better gaming experience.

Guys,

Can we get along ?

I was thinking about to get new 4780 but I changed my mind and spot MSI GTX260 (192) for $184 at Egg.

ATI just release 8.12 borked cause black screen on Vista, right now ATI release hot-fix.

ATI video cards are more hotter than GTX version. mine is idle 45

I am glad I did picked Nvidia card over ATI card.

===================================================

4780 is very strong, old, hotter, buggy driver, powerful.

GTX is new, powerful as 4780, better driver lots support plus beta to try it out, cooler.

Just my 2 cents.

phatbx133

well first of all thanks, i live in Canada and my budget is like around 1000 dollars, ill be playing Farcry 2, Fallout 3 and Diablo 3, Startcraft 2, WoW all maxed. I want a good card and processor that can support all those games now and in the future.

I'm almost positive diablo 3 and sc2 will run have multicore support. I say go with a quad and a 260.

Guys,

Can we get along ?

I was thinking about to get new 4780 but I changed my mind and spot MSI GTX260 (192) for $184 at Egg.

ATI just release 8.12 borked cause black screen on Vista, right now ATI release hot-fix.

ATI video cards are more hotter than GTX version. mine is idle 45

I am glad I did picked Nvidia card over ATI card.

===================================================

4780 is very strong, old, hotter, buggy driver, powerful.

GTX is new, powerful as 4780, better driver lots support plus beta to try it out, cooler.

Just my 2 cents.

phatbx133

The Vista black screen is only for 4850 X-fire users in general, so that is hardly the issue you paint it to be. And I just sold my 9800GTX+ and jumped to a 4870 and so far, I'm having fewer driver issues with the ATi card than I was with my nV card. Purely anecdotal of course, but my 4870 is making me pretty happy for $170 and with all the board makers doing custom coolers my card never gets above 45c with the fan locked at 40%

whatever you do dont get that q8200, its heavily crippled in cache and overclock. if you dont mind getting a 65nm quad get a q6600 and OC the hell out of it, plus its cheap at around 180 dollars US. if you must have 45nm id get a q9550 if you could and also OC it, or maybe a q9400, but just stay away from the 8200!

yup im getting the quad and the 4870, the 4870 is better then the gtx 260, not the 280. It beats it on high res crysis graphics and other games as well.

Back