Some Stadia Features Won't Make Launch

Derangel

Fully [H]
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/mi...luding_4k_streaming_on_pc_-_google_confirms/1

Google has announced that a few promised features will not be ready when Stadia launches on November 19th. These features include:

Achievements: All the back-end tracking work is done but the UI and other user-facing elements are not finished yet. Google gave no ETA on when to expect it.

Streaming current Chromecast Ultra devices: Game streaming will be limited to PC and only the versions of the Chromecast Ultra that come with the bundles. Google promises a firmware update current Chromecast Ultras in the "near future".

4K, HDR, and 5.1 surround sound on PC: These features will all be exclusive to Chromecast Ultra devices until sometime next year.

Edit: More missing features!

Stream Connect, State, Share, and Crowd Play: Stream Connect "should" have its first title released sometime this year while games that support State Share and Crowd Play will come sometime next year. Yes, this means none of the launch games will support any of those features.

Family Sharing: This feature will allow you to share games with other people living the same household. It will be out "early next year".

Buddy Passes: The buddy passes they promised to Founders Edition buyers will not be given out at launch. Thankfully, this one has real information on when they should be sent out. Google hopes to get them ready within two weeks of launch, barring unforeseen issues.

And, as a reminder, not everyone is getting their pre-ordered hardware on release day. In a Reddit AMA someone commented that their estimated ship date isn't until between Late Nov and Early Dec. However, everyone that pre-ordered will be able to sign in on release day and play using their browser.

Last edited:
As far as I can understand it - Stadia is rental hardware right? You basically rent a server and stream the game. The actual games you have to buy separately anyway and apparently at full price too?

I beta tested it when Google gave Assassin's Creed Odyssey for free and it worked well enough but unless you are a normie with no interest in having a computer at your home (like some who live on just a smartphone or smartphone + console) - I can't see this being cost effective at all.

I'm especially concerned if the license doesn't transfer over to any other game store (Steam/Origin/Uplay/etc.) given Google's bad habit of starting a new service then after sometime, letting it die on the vine a short time later for no reason whatsoever.

As far as I can understand it - Stadia is rental hardware right? You basically rent a server and stream the game. The actual games you have to buy separately anyway and apparently at full price too?

I beta tested it when Google gave Assassin's Creed Odyssey for free and it worked well enough but unless you are a normie with no interest in having a computer at your home (like some who live on just a smartphone or smartphone + console) - I can't see this being cost effective at all.

I'm especially concerned if the license doesn't transfer over to any other game store (Steam/Origin/Uplay/etc.) given Google's bad habit of starting a new service then after sometime, letting it die on the vine a short time later for no reason whatsoever.
It's not meant to be cost effective for you, the end user, it is meant to be lucrative for Google, EA, Microsoft and the rest of the big companies.
This is just Google doing some testing, just like Microsoft with the new Flight Simulator. In a few years it will be impossible to buy games, you will need to rent them. The problems with fast shooters and movement will be "solved" by prediction and bigger hitboxes.

Where there is a will to make even more monies, there is a way....

Yeah, I don't know what will happen with this but for me, I like having my games in Steam. Maybe someday steam will die and I will lose all my games, but so far, and it has been a long time, it is still the best.

I have a chrome ultra, so i will check it out on a 4K tv, but I simply don't trust google.

It's not meant to be cost effective for you, the end user, it is meant to be lucrative for Google, EA, Microsoft and the rest of the big companies.
This is just Google doing some testing, just like Microsoft with the new Flight Simulator. In a few years it will be impossible to buy games, you will need to rent them. The problems with fast shooters and movement will be "solved" by prediction and bigger hitboxes.

It will be a lot longer than “a few years”.

I have a chrome ultra, so i will check it out on a 4K tv, but I simply don't trust google.

Streaming current Chromecast Ultra devices: Game streaming will be limited to PC and only the versions of the Chromecast Ultra that come with the bundles. Google promises a firmware update current Chromecast Ultras in the "near future".

Won't be able to test this on your existing chromecast until the "near future."

This Stadia train wreck is getting worse. So their top media features are limited to their Chromecast Ultra, but other other devices aren't available including PC? I do remember that Nvidia limited their Geforce Now service to Nvidia hardware at first, and Sony limited their PS Now service to the PS4 at first. That didn't go so well for them, and this won't go well for Stadia either. Also, only 12 games at launch? Pretty sure there's more free games available on PC than 12. They don't even have achievements working, which is something that should have been working from day 1.

Can we just agree that Stadia is a failure and focus on playing games local?

Depends entirely on consumers. While they love that idea, they will only do it if people play ball because as you note, they love money. So if streaming games bomb, well they'll keep selling them as they have in the past. They aren't going to only release on streaming platforms and make little to no money if consumers don't buy on them.

I think this will be like Ray tracing for most people where they try it and say nevermind that's not ready for primetime.

Depends entirely on consumers. While they love that idea, they will only do it if people play ball because as you note, they love money. So if streaming games bomb, well they'll keep selling them as they have in the past. They aren't going to only release on streaming platforms and make little to no money if consumers don't buy on them.
That's what will likely happen. I don't see many exclusives being exclusive to Stadia for very long, much like how Xbox exclusives aren't exclusive for very long either.

Found some more features that won't be making launch. Updated the opening post and added a new link. The Reddit AMA is worth reading for anyone interested in Stadia, bunch of questions answered there.

That's what will likely happen. I don't see many exclusives being exclusive to Stadia for very long, much like how Xbox exclusives aren't exclusive for very long either.

We can hope. I'm encouraging everyone to not get Stadia, even to try, not because of its flaws (of which there are many) but because we don't want to see game streaming take off.

From my understanding, subscription cost is only to stream at 4k. 1080p streaming is free, aside from cost of the game itself.

Your right about that, but I am so pessimistic that I feel pretty sure that given the choice of subscription or no games at all, people will choose subscription. So it is just for the industry to have a little chat, do a little testing and see that it works OK, and then one by one go over to subscriptions and cloud based gaming.

Windows 10 will become subscription based, there is no doubt about that, and it is not like that options has ever scored well in any polls.
Will they lose some customers?
Sure. But the amount of steady income will more than make up for that, so we might as well just find a pillow we can bite.

Sure. But the amount of steady income will more than make up for that, so we might as well just find a pillow we can bite.

See the thing is that is only true if we let it be true. Ultimately we, the consumers, have all the money they want. So if we refuse to buy something, it'll bomb and they really won't have a choice but to give us what we want. That is why I encourage people to not be defeatist, and to not give in. When something shitty like Stadia happens, just don't buy that shit. We can make a difference.

From my understanding, subscription cost is only to stream at 4k. 1080p streaming is free, aside from cost of the game itself.

Until "sometime" next year the only way to play Stadia games will be to buy the $130 bundle and pay the subscription price. The free 1080p option won't be ready until next year. So if its not ready to go in three months, everyone that bought the bundle will have to pay $10 a month in order to keep playing any games they've purchased.

Your right about that, but I am so pessimistic that I feel pretty sure that given the choice of subscription or no games at all, people will choose subscription. So it is just for the industry to have a little chat, do a little testing and see that it works OK, and then one by one go over to subscriptions and cloud based gaming.

Windows 10 will become subscription based, there is no doubt about that, and it is not like that options has ever scored well in any polls.
Will they lose some customers?

People have been screeching about how MS will go subscription for Windows since before 10 launched. To date there has been exactly zero proof that they intent to do this on the consumer side, despite all the conspiracy theories.

Google has announced that a few promised features will not be ready when Stadia launches on November 19th.
Why am I not surprised?

I like having my games in Steam. Maybe someday steam will die and I will lose all my games
Which is why I always look at GOG first. DRM free FTW, so it doesn't matter if their services stop or not.

I'm not being sarcastic with these replies, just honest.

See the thing is that is only true if we let it be true. Ultimately we, the consumers, have all the money they want. So if we refuse to buy something, it'll bomb and they really won't have a choice but to give us what we want. That is why I encourage people to not be defeatist, and to not give in. When something shitty like Stadia happens, just don't buy that shit. We can make a difference.
I know, we can stop it if we stay strong, no doubt about that. But I am convinced we will just cave in if the choice is between a subscription to Rockstar, or not playing GTA VII at all.

People have been screeching about how MS will go subscription for Windows since before 10 launched. To date there has been exactly zero proof that they intent to do this on the consumer side, despite all the conspiracy theories.
I admit it is just my theory, and fear, that they inevitably will end up milking it as hard as they can. I have no reason to trust Microsoft not to.

I thought I would read the Stadia Terms and conditions. I thought this was interesting....In fairness, I have not read the terms of other services like Steam or GOG or anything, but I think that at least in the case of Steam that they have proven themselves over many years. Google has a track record of dropping products they don't know how to profit from. Remember Google Glass? lol.
What I couldn't find is anything in the terms that say what your rights are if Google terminates the service altogether. However, if you are BANNED from the service for any reason it goes without saying you lose your "right" to access content.

License
The Content is licensed to you, not sold. Publisher grants you a limited, non-exclusive license to access
and use the Content for which you have an entitlement for your personal, non-commercial use through
Stadia. The Publisher reserves all rights in and to the Content that are not expressly granted to you under
this EULA.

I thought I would read the Stadia Terms and conditions. I thought this was interesting....In fairness, I have not read the terms of other services like Steam or GOG or anything, but I think that at least in the case of Steam that they have proven themselves over many years. Google has a track record of dropping products they don't know how to profit from. Remember Google Glass? lol.
What I couldn't find is anything in the terms that say what your rights are if Google terminates the service altogether. However, if you are BANNED from the service for any reason it goes without saying you lose your "right" to access content.

License
The Content is licensed to you, not sold. Publisher grants you a limited, non-exclusive license to access
and use the Content for which you have an entitlement for your personal, non-commercial use through
Stadia. The Publisher reserves all rights in and to the Content that are not expressly granted to you under
this EULA.

Valve can ban people from accessing their entire account, but they only due it for things like scamming or charge backs. GOG can do account bans but since games are all DRM free it doesn’t matter all that much. EA’s system will ban your account if you get banned on their forums.

Google’s is still pretty extreme considering how many different services they tie together with the account so any ban on any of them applies to the entire account.

I admit it is just my theory, and fear, that they inevitably will end up milking it as hard as they can. I have no reason to trust Microsoft not to.
There is no money in making an "OS" subscription based, but subscriptions to services are another thing entirely. As much as everybody hates Adobe their Cloud subscription delivery method for their products is working very well, EA's Origin Premire service is also rollin in cash, XBox live, Playstation Now, the list goes on, these subscription services are making money and that money is nice and consistent which keep companies happy. So for consumers MS can easily feed them an OS for "free" on the off chance they can get them to make purchases on one of their partnered platforms as a result. Business and Enterprise like always will shoulder the bulk of the costs there because they are paying for the support systems in place for said OS's not really the OS's themselves.

I looked at the article, noticed the author said he was on a 45 Mbps network. Honestly that is not that great, so lag is expected.

I did order one but it looks like it hasn't shipped yet and expected delivery is Nov 26 (kinda was hoping for launch day shipping).

But my network is ready, if it doesn't work at these speeds it doesn't work at all. I'll let you guys know.

SpeedTest.png

Last edited:
I looked at the article, noticed the author said he was on a 45 Mbps network. Honestly that is not that great, so lag is expected.

I did order one but it looks like it hasn't shipped yet and expected delivery is Nov 26 (kinda was hoping for launch day shipping).

But my network is ready, if it doesn't work at these speeds it doesn't work at all. I'll let you guy know.

View attachment 200810

Google calls 35 Mbps the "best" experience for Stadia, able to handle 4K HDR with 5.1 surround sound at 60 fps. If 10 Mbps over that isn't good enough than Google is clearly lying about the requirements.

Thing is, that's the reality for a lot of Americans, that or even less. What's more it is more likely to be the reality for those that Google wants to target: The people who don't want to spend a lot of money on a gaming system and who are frustrated by the time it takes to download games. I mean when you have a 1 gig connection, you don't give much of a shit about DL times. It's when you have a slow connection that it matters. This really isn't a product that has appeal for the high end gamer, at least not at this point. A current console or good PC is going to give you a better experience in basically every way. So if there's inroads to be made, it is with people that don't want to spend the money on that... Well those are also the people who will get the basic Internet package and call it "fine" because it is cheap and Netflix works. Telling them, "Oh this will suck less, just get a better net connection," isn't likely to be a successful strategy. Also if there's to be any hope of it working for mobile gaming as Google has liked to show off it'd better work well on less than 45mbps. Do a speedtest on your phone sometime. While it can get 50-100mbps on LTE... you are far more likely to see in the 15-30 range when in actual use with other people.

Google calls 35 Mbps the "best" experience for Stadia, able to handle 4K HDR with 5.1 surround sound at 60 fps. If 10 Mbps over that isn't good enough than Google is clearly lying about the requirements.
Maybe they were liberal with the requirements (or actively misleading).

I can tell you from my experience with YouTube and other steaming services that 35 Mbps is very low for 4K60.

Maybe they were liberal with the requirements (or actively misleading).

I can tell you from my experience with YouTube and other steaming services that 35 Mbps is very low for 4K60.

"Actively misleading" aka, lying through their teeth.

Yeah. Youtube 4K/60 does not work well on a slower connection. 4K/ 30 HDR Youtube (and many other streaming services) works fine on my shoddy 30 Mbps DLS connection, but 60 is a bit much for it.

Sycraft Yes, good points. I have 4G but my phone is fairly slow and doesn't get a good signal most the time. Would not even try game streaming on that, but I do pay extra for good home internet.

"Actively misleading" aka, lying through their teeth.

Yeah. Youtube 4K/60 does not work well on a slower connection. 4K/ 30 HDR Youtube (and many other streaming services) works fine on my shoddy 30 Mbps DLS connection, but 60 is a bit much for it.

you need 60 minimum and when you twitch you are going to have artifact hell. Of course twitch shooters are going to run like crap regardless.

Also if there's to be any hope of it working for mobile gaming as Google has liked to show off it'd better work well on less than 45mbps. Do a speedtest on your phone sometime. While it can get 50-100mbps on LTE... you are far more likely to see in the 15-30 range when in actual use with other people.
Where specifically did you see stadia advertised or shown off for mobile LTE? They're deliberately avoiding cellular data.

And the people with gaming PCs going on and on how stadia won't replace their gaming PC are also not shining a light on anything unknown.

They are aiming squarely for the living room console demographic, that's really all. The people that may play in a browser are secondary.

Last edited:
Back