Some questions about the AMD Fury cards.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, before you read this keep this in mind i am NOT!!! a fanboy from any camp, no AMD, no Intel, no Nvidia no Playstation, no Xbox, no apple etc etc i just buy whatever i think is the best product for the price at the moment that i need/want a new product.

So yesterday we had a presentation from AMD with some painfull silent moments. However i am quite excited about the fury cards specifically. I really like the fact amd went the extra mile and made a true enhausiast product with the watercooled Fury X

So we will know the fury X will be in stores for 649 dollar on 24 June.
We also know the Fury will be in stores for 549 dollar on 14 July, but why havent we seen the fury card? I wanna know what air cooling solution they are using.

And about the nano, when is it in stores, how much will it cost? And what performance can we expect from it? They said the power to watt performance is 2x that of the 290x, but could just aswell be only a 10 watt card and not aimed for gaming at all?

And about Project Quantum, what is the extra box we see next to the case itself in this video https://youtu.be/1RdISWkIUmM?t=1m45s ?

We also know the Fury will be in stores for 549 dollar on 14 July, but why havent we seen the fury card? I wanna know what air cooling solution they are using.

And about the nano, when is it in stores, how much will it cost? And what performance can we expect from it? They said the power to watt performance is 2x that of the 290x, but could just aswell be only a 10 watt card and not aimed for gaming at all?

Fury Pro, the $549 one, if it even has a "reference design" will likely use one of the AIB's 3fan heatsink designs. I have a feeling they will just allow AIBs to use custom designs.

Fury Nano will likely not show up until the end of July at the earliest, I'm guessing it will probably be sometime in August. As for the price, it really depends on performance.
If they get it out shortly after Fury Pro, we might see $499. I'm guessing between $449-$499. They said it performs better than a 290x, so that means the minimum power consumption would be 125w-150w. ~150w seems about right, maybe a little more, and it will likely slot into the gap between the GTX980 and the GTX980Ti.

[speculation] We probably have. Much like the 290 vs 290x they probably have the same PCB and cooling as the Fury is most likely a die harvested Fury X [/speculation]

Unknown. Unknown. Unknown. Unlikely.

And about Project Quantum, what is the extra box we see next to the case itself in this video https://youtu.be/1RdISWkIUmM?t=1m45s ?
Unknown.

I did some frame capturing of the quantum video and you can see more here
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041671086&postcount=418

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, before you read this keep this in mind i am NOT!!! a fanboy from any camp, no AMD, no Intel, no Nvidia no Playstation, no Xbox, no apple etc etc i just buy whatever i think is the best product for the price at the moment that i need/want a new product.

So yesterday we had a presentation from AMD with some painfull silent moments. However i am quite excited about the fury cards specifically. I really like the fact amd went the extra mile and made a true enhausiast product with the watercooled Fury X

- Retailers maybe stocking them up now I guess?

- It might be that powerful but could mean a bigger TDP like 200-250W or just 150W single 6 or 8 pin power connectors maybe. Could be for the HTPC folks to Small gaming PC builds

Looks like the power supply.
Looks like that external thing is a RAD or a PSU, not sure really just my 2 cents

it could be both the RAD and PSU as per this image;

DSC01970-980x653.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like that external thing is a RAD or a PSU, not sure really just my 2 cents

it could be both the RAD and PSU as per this image;

Like already said the radiator is in the top half.

If you look at under the sleeving it looks like just a bundle of wires. Combined with, at least what I've seen so far, how available images don't show any sort of PSU in the bottom or top half it's likely the PSU.

Looks like it could just be something off the shelf with custom cabling (so it's one external bundle).

So Nano is ~175w typical power consumption.
So if it ends up beating GTX980, that is pretty damn good.
AMD-Radeon-R9-Nano-1.jpg

[speculation] We probably have. Much like the 290 vs 290x they probably have the same PCB and cooling as the Fury is most likely a die harvested Fury X [/speculation]
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041671086&postcount=418

I don't know if it's just leaks, but I thought it was pretty well known that Fury is air cooled and Fury X is water cooled, so likely not the same cooling, right? The boards might be similar though - not sure if they would change the layout to optimize for water cooling exclusively on the Fury X, seems likely to be something that works for air or water.

If Fury pulls 275W (or more) then that's just the PSU. I would assume it has fans as well. Kind of a large box to try an hide if you are using this in your living room.

I thought the box contained the Dual Fury X card. That would make the box on the floor the PSU as everyone said.

lI1PJWD.jpg

Trying to recall what the rumors were about this (sucks that we are STILL having to guess stuff)...

The Fury X was going to be mostly AMD only, whereas if any AIBs wanted to do their own card design they would be under extremely strict parameters and oversight by AMD.

The non-X Fury was pretty much open for whatever they wanted to slap onto the chip. AMD may have a reference Fury, but probably don't expect to sell many going on the history of the reference 290X.

As for the Quantum, I'm trying to figure out how they would get that dual card in there. It would have to be a custom motherboard with a riser card (Compaq style) to get the card to squeeze in horizontally. Did we get any shots of the rear ports?

I don't know if it's just leaks, but I thought it was pretty well known that Fury is air cooled and Fury X is water cooled, so likely not the same cooling, right? The boards might be similar though - not sure if they would change the layout to optimize for water cooling exclusively on the Fury X, seems likely to be something that works for air or water.

My guess is that both will show up with water and air cooling. Just a guess though.

As for the Quantum, I'm trying to figure out how they would get that dual card in there. It would have to be a custom motherboard with a riser card (Compaq style) to get the card to squeeze in horizontally. Did we get any shots of the rear ports?

AMD did use a riser and a heavily modified Asrock Z97E-ITX/AC. You should take a look at Aibohphobia's illustrated observations here.

Thanks for the link. Pretty much answered my question.

Now I'm just wondering if it is all for naught if the reports of no HDMI 2.0 support on the Fury is true. Would make a hell of a statement in the living room, but not if it can't do 4k@60 on a big screen.

Thanks for the link. Pretty much answered my question.

Now I'm just wondering if it is all for naught if the reports of no HDMI 2.0 support on the Fury is true. Would make a hell of a statement in the living room, but not if it can't do 4k@60 on a big screen.

I guess I will wait for the first full reviews to hit before writing it off. After looking some more I only found the HDMI 1.4 mentioned on Ars Technica and several other places (forums) that question it.

Oh the drama!

Back