Some questions about m0n0wall

Spades45

Limp Gawd
I'm in the market for a new router and I've been thinking about building a m0n0wall box. How does it compare to something like this? Specifically, that router has 3 antennas, doesn't this mean it has better coverage than an old PC-turned-router with only 1? Can any old NIC just broadcast a wireless signal? As for the two NICs requirement, will the onboard NIC built into the motherboard work for one of them, or do you need two dedicated NICs?

Also, if I download an IP blocklist using Blocklist Manager, can I export it into m0n0wall and have it block a range of IPs? specifically I would be looking at the malware, adware, and bogons blocklists.

What are wanting to accomplish?

Any old wireless nic will not provide the same coverage as the 66U, not nearly so. Most people with a monowall, pfsense, untangle, will use a separate AP dependent on the coverage needed.

2 NICs are required WAN/LAN, yes most NICs will work best performance as always is going to come from intel NICs.

For the IP blocklist, well someone else can answer that for m0n0wall, I am more familiar with pfsense and untangle.

What are wanting to accomplish?

Any old wireless nic will not provide the same coverage as the 66U, not nearly so. Most people with a monowall, pfsense, untangle, will use a separate AP dependent on the coverage needed.

2 NICs are required WAN/LAN, yes most NICs will work best performance as always is going to come from intel NICs.

For the IP blocklist, well someone else can answer that for m0n0wall, I am more familiar with pfsense and untangle.

I was just looking for a good, stable SOHO router. I don't really need that much coverage, building is 2-story 3500 sq ft get 5 bars all around with a crappy isp-provided dsl modem / router combo. If that is the case - that m0n0wall and similar aren't generally used as APs - then I'm likely not going to go through with it. I was originally looking at tomato, dd-wrt, or openwrt but they seem like too much hassle to get all the compatible hardware and flash it etc.

as for the blocklist would pfsense or untangle be able to accommodate it? I am open to suggestions on other software, m0n0wall is simply the first one I read about.

At the end of the day I may end up simply going with the most expensive Linksys or D-Link router I can find.

Back