some questions about LCDs

Cthulhu

Limp Gawd
I can't seem to get a straight answer about this... I currently have a 19" CRT that is going out. So I'm in the market for a new monitor. I'd like to get a LCD, but I have some concerns about gaming in particular. I've been looking at the 2001fp and 1600x1200 native res is fine for windows... but I normally run games at under that res. Can any of you with this monitor tell me how much the quality ACTUALLY suffers when you don't run games at the native res. I mean is it completely noticeable and unplayable? Also, is this something that varies from monitor to monitor? Are some better at scaling down?

Any other suggestions on monitors? I'd like to get a 20"...

yes, it varies from monitor to monitor and will depend on the panel used. Some are better than others at interpolating outside native resolution. Generally games are fine to be run outside native resolution, you will lose some crispness, but nothing horrible. In windows, the resolution is definitely better at native, but games is not so much a big deal. For 20" then the 2001FP is very popular. There aren't really many "fast" 20" models around tbh, and that size range isn't aimed at the gamers market so much at the moment.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend getting an LCD with a native res above 1280x1024 if you're concerned about quality and can't afford shelling out for the latest greatest video card every 6 months. I'm very picky about image quality in games and can't handle playing outside native res just because it gets blurry and you lose a lot of the sharp lighting effects and such that are in newer games.

Going below the native res on a 2001FP is a noticable drop in quality during gaming , it doesnt look horrible but even the motion blur is worse,I wouldnt recommend it.

To be honest I just returned my 2001FP to dell for a refund , It didnt cut it for me as a gaming monitor ,especially with my 21" Sony G520P sitting next to it. the LCD's black level output was very poor (washed out).

mathesar said:
Going below the native res on a 2001FP is a noticable drop in quality during gaming , it doesnt look horrible but even the motion blur is worse,I wouldnt recommend it.

To be honest I just returned my 2001FP to dell for a refund , It didnt cut it for me as a gaming monitor ,especially with my 21" Sony G520P sitting next to it. the LCD's black level output was very poor (washed out).

I thought the 2001fp interpolated *extremely* well....I couldn't see any interpolation artifacts. I even took screenshots at different resolutions and compared 'em. Regarding motion blur after interpolation, I didn't notice any but then again, maybe it's because my interpolated games weren't fast motion (Silent Hunter III, Vampires, etc.).

In the end I did the same as you. The 2001fp went back after two tries. Blacks are just awful and the dam* panel is just too fricken bright. Cool factor only goes so far before the problems become too much to ignore (I'll add smallish text, borked web pages to the list).

thanks for the replies!

Sounds like I may have to change my choice to a 19" LCD due to the native res of the 20". 1600x1200 is just too high for games on my box. The native res on a 19" is 1280x1024, which is what I've been running my CRT at for years now.

So I've been doing some searching on the forums and have found what seems to be a very good 19" panel, the Viewsonic VP191. Can anyone recommend this monitor? Any other good 19" suggestions? Thanks again.

Back