Some people really need to get a MacBook!

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
I'd get a MBP for development work if I could afford it, I think they are great for that. But that's not really what this is about...

I have a friend who's been getting into photography recently. She now has multiple cameras costing $$$, DSLR etc, goes on photo trips etc. She's also a very non-techy person but for some reason she's also never owned an iPhone or Apple product, by choice, which is pretty rare :)

A while back she bought a hefty Windows laptop for ~$1400 for all her photo/video work, she also pays the monthly fee for Adobe Creative suite. Seems to think she needs the full power of Photoshop/Premiere etc but I know she only uses the basic functions. She's had issues with the laptop (driver related stuff, slowdowns in Adobe etc). I've helped her upgrade to Windows 10 which improved things. She's one of those people who don't take backups and lost data even after I bought her an external drive and showed her how.

All this is leading to - she's the perfect user for a MBP. She'd get all the photo/video editing tools for free/cheaper, would be easier to use. a much better screen, Time Machine for backups, and reduce my tech support burden :) But its a lost cause and makes me :mad:

If she wants to be a professional she is going to have to act like one.

If she can afford to hire someone to manage everything from the technical side, than she can 'afford' to not know how to do things. Otherwise, for her sake, and I suppose just as importantly: her clients sake, she'd better learn a workflow that protect her data and ultimately the data of her clients.
PC or Mac in that particular case doesn't matter, but I would say the tools are much more fleshed out in OSX than in Windows. Not just from a data backup and stability perspective, but also a productivity and workflow perspective. This is opinion, but opinion based on using both Windows machines and Macs for coming on a decade each. Although I guess technically that would make my Windows experience two decades, although I generally don't use Windows for much outside of gaming.

===

Edit: Also, cool story bro.

Edit 2: Pics of girl or shens.

===

Might as well go full blown meme on this thread...

In a lot of respects even if it isn't a user that isn't that great MBP's are absolutely great computers. We do development and consulting at my company. EVERYONE gets a MBP when they hire on, and then every 24-30 months they get new ones depending on what release cycles are. Lately I am on the oldest MBP in the company which is the latest one that doesn't have the touch bar, which I want badly. The issue is with all of the new ones I really want 32GB of ram on board. I was hoping in this last update cycle they would have done that, so I am holding off on getting these. I understand that with SSD's and the way MacOS is I really don't need it but I want it on these.

In my daily carry backpack I carry the small iPad 9.7 Pro, the MacBook 12" and my iPhone along with various Android devices so we can test almost anything. If I am going on a longer trip I will do the 15MBP.

I also really wish apple would put the discreet graphics in the 13" MacBook as well.

In a lot of respects even if it isn't a user that isn't that great MBP's are absolutely great computers. We do development and consulting at my company. EVERYONE gets a MBP when they hire on, and then every 24-30 months they get new ones depending on what release cycles are. Lately I am on the oldest MBP in the company which is the latest one that doesn't have the touch bar, which I want badly. The issue is with all of the new ones I really want 32GB of ram on board. I was hoping in this last update cycle they would have done that, so I am holding off on getting these. I understand that with SSD's and the way MacOS is I really don't need it but I want it on these.

In my daily carry backpack I carry the small iPad 9.7 Pro, the MacBook 12" and my iPhone along with various Android devices so we can test almost anything. If I am going on a longer trip I will do the 15MBP.

I also really wish apple would put the discreet graphics in the 13" MacBook as well.

Im right there with you on wishing Apple would offer discreet GPUs on the 13" MBP. Ive been on the fence about getting the 15" 2017 MBP for a while. Do I need it, no. But do I want it, very much so!

Anyone suggesting that you use a MBP for photo editing doesn't know WTH they're talking about. The screen real estate is just too small. Also, the storage options are super limited and any external drive usage will probably end up going over WiFi (lag).

I have Photoshop Elements on an Intel NUC running Windows 10 with dual mid-tier 25" displays and it works awesome. Much better than my wife's MBP with Photoshop Elements. I put all my pictures on a Synology NAS and it's perfect.

Anyone suggesting that you use a MBP for photo editing doesn't know WTH they're talking about. The screen real estate is just too small. Also, the storage options are super limited and any external drive usage will probably end up going over WiFi (lag).

I have Photoshop Elements on an Intel NUC running Windows 10 with dual mid-tier 25" displays and it works awesome. Much better than my wife's MBP with Photoshop Elements. I put all my pictures on a Synology NAS and it's perfect.

I didn't know that hooking a monitor up to a MBP was banned by Apple. Must not be able to use a dock with Ethernet built-in either.

My bet is that the MBP has better monitor support then the NUC anyways ;)

Last edited:
If the point of this post is about going cheaper with less bloat and with applications that can still do what she needs, then why not just get her a Linux system? There are tons of free photo editing software packages available on Linux, you can customize it without any bloat, and it will cost far less than your MBP or Windows System.

I only say Bibble labs (now AfterShot) , back in days used that for my raw workflow and still worked like a charm. Linux, mac, ok .

Not used too much in recent two years due to time constraint but worth looking at

WOW, I use a MBP all the time for editing photos. My BMP connects to UP3216Q's or UP2715K monitors usually and they are calibrated, I have more screen real estate than most and take my desktop with me.

I cannot buy another MBP after my bad experience with the 2011 model with the GPU problems. Even the replacement logic board had its GPU die after a few days.

Back