Some new Mass Effect 3 info

Yes.
Though I think you can get them by even if they aren't leader. Just make sure to give each a job they can handle or else don't give them a job. (i.e. tech jobs for hardcore techies, biotic roles for the super-biotics (but not the "pretty good at biotics" guys), leadership roles for those who have good experience leading in the past)
Crap got to rewrite it.

Yeah after I lost Miranda the first time I replayed about 5 times. Miranda was the only one unloyal, as she had gotten pissed about not taking her side and I was Renegade and couldn't convince her I was right. In the 5 replays I played around with who went where and I got 2 where no one dies and 1 as far as 3 deaths. It is possible with unloyals to keep them alive but they have to be made for the job you send them on but, its got to work that way and you can't have to many of them. It also works the other way, them being loyal boosts their chances but the reality is if you keep them on tougher jobs just because they are loyal, if they aren't made for then they die. Some of them you can't even really see coming. Like having Jacob take the tunnel. He kept getting shot because he is trying to close the door. If you pick the right guy on your squad, he tries to close the door and not Jacob.

Last edited:
I am a bit disappointed in hearing that you will fight Cerberus in ME3. What if I was a renegade and against aliens, and only pro-human and pro-Cereberus in ME2?

Also, I feel disappointed that if you let Shepard die at the end of ME2, you can't continue into ME3. Would be really cool if that happens, you could play as Garrus or anyone else as the main character in ME3, probably too much resources and work though. Maybe DLC?

I thought that if you saved the Reaper station you would be alongside Cerberus, now I'm guessing that it doesn't matter whether you blew it up at the end of ME2 or not

I like the bit about larger/more detailed environments. The jump from ME to ME2 was significant enough, but if they plan to expand environments even more.. That's amazing.

I'm starting to get excited...

Maybe they took a bunch of my suggestions to heart? I posted a lot of ideas for a variety of different things on the bioware forums after I beat Mass Effect 2.

One of the things I wanted was specialized upgradeable melee weapons for each character that fit their personality. For instance, Wrex might have a large war hammer.

You run up to a bad guy and click a button to begin melee combat. A "choreographed" fight starts (complete with flips, parries, thrusts, etc). Each "fight" may result in a gory finishing move.

I was inspired by "jacks" awesome introductory cutscene in which jack displays awesome hand to hand fighting skills where many a bad dude is easily dispatched only to find that that kind of awesomeness is reserved only for the cinematics (something that almost always happens).

I had quite a few ideas that I posted to their forums. Heck I pretty much designed the new game and the prologue to the new story.

Wow. I hope they aren't listening to you. Everything you just said is just awful. Mass Effect does not need finishing moves, it's not Mortal Kombat. And it certainly does not need choreographed fights.

I thought that if you saved the Reaper station you would be alongside Cerberus, now I'm guessing that it doesn't matter whether you blew it up at the end of ME2 or not

I thought that too. In fact, a few days ago I started a whole new ME playthrough to import to ME2 just so I could go pro-humanity and save it. If they have us working a certain way regardless of our playstyle that is a huge bummer to me.

I thought that too. In fact, a few days ago I started a whole new ME playthrough to import to ME2 just so I could go pro-humanity and save it. If they have us working a certain way regardless of our playstyle that is a huge bummer to me.

To me really it depends on how you view Paragon and Renegade.

To me renegade is essentially about "the ends justifies the means." When you created your character in ME1, it seemed the blurb was basically about getting the job done no matter the cost. It isn't being pro humanity or not. In this sense you would worked with Cerebus to further your goal of defeating the Reapers, not because you believe in them as an organization, but because they offered the means to combat the Reapers. Whereas as a Paragon, you worked with Cerebus reluctantly as a necessary evil. Really as a renegade it makes sense, because Cerebus has outlived there usefulness.

In fact the whole Paragon and Renegade thing is what I like about ME, it isn't so much good/evil, but more idealist vs. pragmatic.

There is of course the practical element of needing to have a very different design if you needed to incorporate working with Cerebus or not.

As a side it seems a bit silly to be worrying about spoilers for ME2, a game released over a year ago. I'd think if you didn't want spoilers about ME1 and ME2, you wouldn't read up about ME3?

Crap got to rewrite it.

Yeah after I lost Miranda the first time I replayed about 5 times. Miranda was the only one unloyal, as she had gotten pissed about not taking her side and I was Renegade and couldn't convince her I was right. In the 5 replays I played around with who went where and I got 2 where no one dies and 1 as far as 3 deaths. It is possible with unloyals to keep them alive but they have to be made for the job you send them on but, its got to work that way and you can't have to many of them. It also works the other way, them being loyal boosts their chances but the reality is if you keep them on tougher jobs just because they are loyal, if they aren't made for then they die. Some of them you can't even really see coming. Like having Jacob take the tunnel. He kept getting shot because he is trying to close the door. If you pick the right guy on your squad, he tries to close the door and not Jacob.

Hmm, I just checked the mass effect wiki and apparently there is a little randomization involved as well.

As a side it seems a bit silly to be worrying about spoilers for ME2, a game released over a year ago. I'd think if you didn't want spoilers about ME1 and ME2, you wouldn't read up about ME3?

I did that because I've read at least one post in this thread saying they've just started ME2 the other day, so I was playing it safe.

I did that because I've read at least one post in this thread saying they've just started ME2 the other day, so I was playing it safe.

Speaking just for myself, I only started playing ME2 recently due to it being free with the purchase of Dragon Age 2. I can't believe I had missed out on this franchise before, what an amazing game. Need to go pick up ME1.

Scanning system is terrible. I can't believe they're keeping that. I know everyone bitched about the MAKO being boring, but criminy, the scanning system simply sucks. At least I could hop around in the Mako. That was fun.

LOL at [H] members CyberCecil and Mayson. But I agree with CyberCecil.

I hope faster game speed does not mean shorter game in any way.

Finally, I'm glad to see that architecture has been done in greater detail. Some games get this and others don't. I'm happy that Bioware is at least going to try to improve in this area.

Wow. I hope they aren't listening to you. Everything you just said is just awful. Mass Effect does not need finishing moves, it's not Mortal Kombat. And it certainly does not need choreographed fights.

I was thinking more along the lines of the light saber fights in KOTOR. If your opponent dies while in melee mode, your character executes some gory special killing animation; maybe snapping a neck or slicing a throat.

Certainly that's better than the single punch they previously used for melee.

Last edited:
Scanning system is terrible. I can't believe they're keeping that. I know everyone bitched about the MAKO being boring, but criminy, the scanning system simply sucks. At least I could hop around in the Mako. That was fun.

LOL at [H] members CyberCecil and Mayson. But I agree with CyberCecil.

I hope faster game speed does not mean shorter game in any way.

Finally, I'm glad to see that architecture has been done in greater detail. Some games get this and others don't. I'm happy that Bioware is at least going to try to improve in this area.

Heh, mako wasn't so bad when there are sites like gamebanshee to tell you all the important sites for any given planet. I didn't have to waste my time searching around.

Oh god, not the scanning.

Please stop insisting on inserting a pointless grinding/farming component to the game. Even DAO, which was more traditional RPG elements focused, didn't have something like that.

Oh wait, but it will add a few pointless few hours to the game length, since it doesn't matter what you do in those hours of game play as long as they are there. :rolleyes:

We petitioned Deus Ex to not have yellow shit everywhere. Can we petition Bioware to LEAVE SCANNING OUT OF THE FUCKING GAME?!

Sounds like he's usually the one behind Bioware's greater successes.

Yeah, real smart dude and seems very down to earth as well. Graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and wanted to be a pilot but ended up working in the game industry; strange, yet very cool turn of events.

Back