Some money to burn. Looking for some closed headphones.

Gmok Bonecrusha

[H]ard|Gawd
Sold a few things on Craigslist I wasn't using. Have 300 dollars to play with on some headphones. I currently own some HD650's, that I love, but I am looking for some closed cans.

Currently I am leaning toward the Denon AHD2000 headphones. Looking for some peoples impression on them. I am also open to ANY good closed headphones. Have dac/amp/soundcard...

http://www.amazon.com/Denon AH-D200...EC0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288813834&sr=8-1

I listen to 70-80's R&B, Jazz, little Hip Hop.

Thx in advance.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Corsair HS1

/thread.

LOL. :D

The AHD2000s are pretty amazing cans. Lots of bass, and just fun overall. When I had my pair, they were the headphones I listened to most (over AD700/900s, and K701s). I think they'd be a great purchase, especially as a compliment to the HD650s. ATH M50s and DT770s are also pretty respectable closed cans that may be worth looking into.

If you look around on Head-fi, you can get a pair of D5000 for about that much used. BTW, what dac and amp do you have? HD650's are really hard to drive properly. I own one myself. :)

How are you liking the A1/D1 set up? I've been debating upgrading to some HD-650's soon, and I'd need an equipment upgrade to go with it. We've got some music taste over lap, so your thoughts would be helpful :D

I'd probably get an SRH840 to actually have the benefits of a closed phone and keep the change.

The Denon's provide max ~10db of isolation if that, and sound quality superiority is debatable, even in a comparison with the D5000.

I think you could get some Ultrasone Pro 900s for close to that. Best under $500 dynamic closed cans period.

The Denon D2000's are my favorite headphone to date and a great bargain at around 200.00. Check out game-fi.com

Never heard of that brand. Really don't wish to take any chances.

How are you liking the A1/D1 set up? I've been debating upgrading to some HD-650's soon, and I'd need an equipment upgrade to go with it. We've got some music taste over lap, so your thoughts would be helpful :D

I love the setup. Especially for the cost. I use the RCA's and not the optical 90% of the time. Which means I am skipping the DAC on the D1. But the SS of the D1 works wonders with the Tubes of the A1. Nice little synergy. The versatility is a huge plus also. For less than 500 bucks for both pieces, and some nice upgrades to the tubes in the A1, it's a steal.

I think you could get some Ultrasone Pro 900s for close to that. Best under $500 dynamic closed cans period.

Funny you mention them. My bud owns them, and let me listen to them (On a much better setup than mine)...And they sounded totally beautiful. He told me he paid close to 600 though. Will try and find them online.

The Denon D2000's are my favorite headphone to date and a great bargain at around 200.00. Check out game-fi.com

Front runners for me thus far. There just does not seem to be any negative reviews on them that I can find. And that was at a higher price point!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 900s sell used on HeadFi for around $300 all the time. Might need to be patient but they are worth it. If you need any help there please message me here.

Are you using the stock cables on the HD650's or have you recabled already like I have? The Maverick was one my choices, but I decided to go full solid state with my KICAS Caliente amp while still retaining a "tube" sound. No tubes to replace and a quicker response time for gaming and videos. :)

The 900s sell used on HeadFi for around $300 all the time. Might need to be patient but they are worth it. If you need any help there please message me here.

What's your Head-fi handle? fenixdown110

Are you using the stock cables on the HD650's or have you recabled already like I have? The Maverick was one my choices, but I decided to go full solid state with my KICAS Caliente amp while still retaining a "tube" sound. No tubes to replace and a quicker response time for gaming and videos. :)

Stock cables. The prices they are asking for are kinda on the "They are just damn cables! You kidding me?!" side.

Replacing tubes is part of the fun with a tube amp!

Cables do not really make a huge difference. Modding the headphones does. For instance, part of the Ultrasone 780 Alo mod consists of removing the diode board and rewiring the drivers. Makes a damn big impact on the sound. They are STELLAR sounding with that mod and very meh without it. Too small for me though. The 900s are larger and more expansive sounding.

pmned my headfi handle

I would agree with you mostly, except for the HD650's. They're really dark and veiled with the stock cable. I noticed a difference right away with a silver recable. It brightened up and sounded much more forward.

I would agree with you mostly, except for the HD650's. They're really dark and veiled with the stock cable. I noticed a difference right away with a silver recable. It brightened up and sounded much more forward.

I wonder how many people who post stuff like this actually buy two HD650's and practice swapping them as fast as possible, instead of spending 5 minutes yanking the cables out and relying on their expectation-coloured sonic 'memory'.

Or buying cables from people whose cables actually do sound different because under that logo'd techflex they're made in the crappiest manner possible because they're trying to squeeze drainpipe-sized cables into standard enclosures - and as a result, occasionally end up being almost semiconductors.

I've been rocking the D2000s for a while after trying a lot of different cans-these are the ones I keep coming back to. They scale very well with source and amplification, and I've finally found a tube amp that brings the midrange alive on them (see sig). The sound signature is pretty "open" for a closed phone, and a good amp will reveal wide soundstage and depth. Bass extension is very low and crisp, and bass notes are creamy and rich sounding-much more refined than the DT770. They are pretty awesome, you won't regret getting them!

Last edited:
I wonder how many people who post stuff like this actually buy two HD650's and practice swapping them as fast as possible, instead of spending 5 minutes yanking the cables out and relying on their expectation-coloured sonic 'memory'.

Or buying cables from people whose cables actually do sound different because under that logo'd techflex they're made in the crappiest manner possible because they're trying to squeeze drainpipe-sized cables into standard enclosures - and as a result, occasionally end up being almost semiconductors.

This is the truth. No one can find a measurable impact on sound in regards to aftermarket cables unless they're extremely poorly made. It also doesn't cost that much to make a proper cable, look at monoprice for example.

I get really disappointed with tweako audiophoolery voodoo. You buy the product because you believe it was engineered and made well, but then basically proclaim you know more than the designers by screwing around with it. Why did you even bother buying it in the first place if you think it's made wrong? :eek:

Another factor is the amp...if it's not robust enough then changes in the inductance, capacitance or resistance of the cable can cause audible differences in sound. Most decently designed amps should handle the differences without issue, but the quality of an amp and the quality of a given "audiophile" cables are highly variable in my experience. I think it'd be interesting to see what the LCR measurements of "audiophile" cables are.

Another factor is the amp...if it's not robust enough then changes in the inductance, capacitance or resistance of the cable can cause audible differences in sound. Most decently designed amps should handle the differences without issue, but the quality of an amp and the quality of a given "audiophile" cables are highly variable in my experience. I think it'd be interesting to see what the LCR measurements of "audiophile" cables are.

Dude, we aren't dealing with 300ft headphone cables here.

True, not so much on the resistance side....but have you seen what some of the more wacky DIY audiophile cables look like? I wouldn't doubt that some of the solder jobs are worse than an inline resistor!

I love Amazon. My Denon's arrived this morning.

All Flac thru Foobar 2000. Flat EQ.

Jay Z's "Hard knock Life" "+++++ What, +++++ Who". James Brown's "Sex Machine" and "The Payback". The Beatles "Come Together" (Original). Frank Sinatra "New York New York". Commodores "Brick House" Credence Clearwater " Fortunate Son"...Songs I can listen to over and over are what I used to get an initial impression. (yes my music is all over the place, I just like good music)

1st thing I notice vs the HD650's is that the bass is just way more robust. More deep, and overall just nicer. Especially Jay Z. I REALLY can't wait to hear BC2 on these headphones and get next to a tank!

Not sure how to describe this, but the Denon's also have a sense that there is more space, and a grander band playing. I like it! "New York New York" really stands out so.

The highs and the mids on the HD 650's are just better IMO. James Brown, Commodores and Clearwater Credence just sound better. The Commodores, with the drum roll at the beginning of "Brick House" really stand out. James Brown I just hear him much clearer.

The Beatles "Come Together I preferred the HD 650's. Funny, because of the bass line, I thought I would prefer the Denon's.

I really like these headphones. They are not better than the HD 650's, just different. They do compliment each other pretty damn well. Can't wait to "burn them in" for a few weeks.

Thx for the suggestions everyone.

What are you driving the Denons with? They can be really hit and miss with certain amps

Yeah they have a sound stage well suited for gaming. The Senn 650 is known for being dark and needing a lot of power to get it to open up. They are pretty awesome balanced on a fat amp but that is $$$.

The D2000 is simply a decent, all around, works pretty great out of a soundcard but you can get more from an amp headphone. lol

Enjoy them.

Sweet. I have the Denon 1001's. I picked them up for like $80 new somewhere. They are awesome for the $$. I bet the 2000's are like ear candy.

for use for gaming, the beyer dt770 pro 80 ohm is unbeatable. the only can that can actually reproduce explosions without distorting. i LOVE Unreal Tournament 3 with them... SO good.

also, they are driven PERFECTLY from my creative sound blaster titanium. doesnt require an amp or a headphone-oriented sound card.

for use for gaming, the beyer dt770 pro 80 ohm is unbeatable. the only can that can actually reproduce explosions without distorting. i LOVE Unreal Tournament 3 with them... SO good.

DT 770 is a great set of headphones, but I personally feel the D2000's are better in every way.

DT 770 is a great set of headphones, but I personally feel the D2000's are better in every way.

That is because they are. The 770s are FUN and comfy but have serious sonic issues compared to other headphones in their price bracket. Still good headphones though. Much better than a "PC gaming" headset.

Clearly someone who hasn't used a G35 ;)

Clearly someone who hasn't used a G35 ;)

while i have never used the G35, if you head over to head-fi, many will tell you they find the DT770 (and many other sets) much better than the G35.

Question, would it be worth it to get the Denon 2000 to use on my laptop with on board sound and no amp or with an amp? I've been looking at a variety of headphones and amps to go with my new desktop when I build it but wouldn't mind getting them now since it will be almost before I build it. After reading the review of the Astro Mixamp I feel that's a good choice but would rather not waste my money if it's not worth using with on board sound.

Question, would it be worth it to get the Denon 2000 to use on my laptop with on board sound and no amp or with an amp? I've been looking at a variety of headphones and amps to go with my new desktop when I build it but wouldn't mind getting them now since it will be almost before I build it. After reading the review of the Astro Mixamp I feel that's a good choice but would rather not waste my money if it's not worth using with on board sound.

if you get the mixamp, it's like an external soundcard, you would bypass the onboard audio.

while i have never used the G35, if you head over to head-fi, many will tell you they find the DT770 (and many other sets) much better than the G35.

Head-Fi generally hates anything Logitech.

Head-Fi generally hates anything Logitech.

and most of them are snobs for doing so. logitech has put out some serious gear, but it is PRICED for the non-audiophile. I've never used the G35s but I also do not discount their quality.

With headphones is it hard to always say "you get what you pay for." I really like my X-Fi sound card for everything gaming and music. No amplifier necessary.

I generally use Sony 5ks.

Edit: I think my next headphone purchase shall be closed headphones.

Back