some link me to install order?

doug_7506

2[H]4U
i know it posted on here somewhere but i cant find it.

can someone link me to the order you should install like driver security and so on,

thanks
doug

Install windows
Motherboard drivers, video drivers etc
Antivirus
Firewall

*Connect to the internet*
Update windows
update antivirus
update firewall

I usually update antivirus first though

Thats the steps i do, never gotten a virus or had any problems with windows.

Use Autostreamer to slipstream SP2 into your XP disc, if it isn't already.

There's no set order for doing things, as it varies from person to person, and with different hardware. You should load your motherboard chipset drivers first, just because other hardware often requires it, or works better once those are loaded. Then load your NIC driver if needed, and update windows.

hity645 said:
Install windows
Motherboard drivers, DirectX video drivers etc
Antivirus
Firewall

*Connect to the internet*
Update windows
update antivirus
update firewall

I usually update antivirus first though

Thats the steps i do, never gotten a virus or had any problems with windows.

I read somewhere (MaximumPC maybe?) you should install DirectX before the video card drivers.
I haven't noticed any difference myself though. I doubt it matters all that much. Unless you're replying to a thread about what order to install things in. :p

That's true, but at this point, there's no excuse not to have SP2 slipstreamed into the install disc. Assuming everyone has this done, then DirectX 9c is installed right away. It's just another step that's saved by having SP2 installed during the install.

AHhh 9C is on SP2 then cool. I was just realizing I haven't had to manually load DirectX in awhile and I should go home and do that. Oh wait I have SP2 I'm ok :)

djnes said:
That's true, but at this point, there's no excuse not to have SP2 slipstreamed into the install disc. Assuming everyone has this done, then DirectX 9c is installed right away. It's just another step that's saved by having SP2 installed during the install.

Ahh, this is good to know. I didn't realize DX was slipstreamed in. :eek:

Thanks for the tip. ;)

It's a good thing that it's built in to SP2. DirectX was always one of those updates that had to be done by itself, and required a reboot.

and would give me hassle previous to my SP2 slip with a lot of games. I got strange corruption issues.

thanks guys, i had just got in my copy of windows media 2005 and i know it has SP2 with it so thanks again

Back