Some lady responds to my craigslist ad looking for retro games...

i hope you kept calm and said , oooh well they are not worth that much :D

how much did you pay gooch?

FF III! epic win!!

now wait until her kid comes back from college and is like MOM! WTF! where are my games!

I'd be glad to take that Super Street Fighter II turbo off your hands :p

Last edited:
Phalanx's cover art on its own is worth the $60.00 - everything else is just icing on the cake.

Ah, Final Fantasy VI one of my absolute favorite games of the series. Super Metroid also a good catch, and I wasted plenty of time on Contra 3 back in the SNES days. lol

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, WHAT THE FUCK MOM?

nm those arent mine, didnt have phalanx

Yeah some kid is going to be PISSED.

On a side note, as that a sieken densatsu three map I see? If so, sell the game for 80? And are you going to sell any of it?

secret of mana?? yeah map and manual. I have the game too but no box :( will probably sell super metroid and castlevania but not sure if I'm gonna sell any of it. ths shit is so minty fresh. the boxes look like they jst got pulled out if shrink wrap!!:eek:

also concerning the "pissed kid" , the previous owner was a guy in his forties who killed himself. :(

Gooch3008 is more than simply "lucky", he knows what to look for. I personally watched him procure a copy of Secret of Mana on the cheap at a pawn shop, it was an adrenaline rush of a moment realizing that he found some treasure.

Once we left the shop, I became more appreciative of his acumen for ferreting out good spots to hit to add to his retro collection. That combined with the extensive research he's done on what exactly games go for and what he's willing to pay for them have combined to make him one really formidable force to be reckoned with when it comes to collecting games. By any reasonable standard, he's a cut above.

secret of mana?? yeah map and manual. I have the game too but no box :( will probably sell super metroid and castlevania but not sure if I'm gonna sell any of it. ths shit is so minty fresh. the boxes look like they jst got pulled out if shrink wrap!!:eek:

Mana was released in the US and thus is pretty much worth dog turds. American gaming sucks and is mostly crappy PC games with bench marks, it's shit gaming. Now Japanese games, those hold value.

SD3 is Secret of Mana 3, Japan only, and you can get a couple hundred for a mint sealed copy.

I've got a few sealed mana 2's (aka secrete of mana) so those aren't rare at all. Unless the game is still sealed with the japan plushies and the coth map, in which case yeah that's worth some cash and I'd offer you 1k for it. But short of that, SOM isn't that hard to get sealed or mint. The plush dolls make it or break it. But in general if it ever hit the US, it's worth shit.

Holy shit...goes to show you they're still out there waiting to be found, just gotta look methodically.

Mana was released in the US and thus is pretty much worth dog turds. American gaming sucks and is mostly crappy PC games with bench marks, it's shit gaming. Now Japanese games, those hold value.

SD3 is Secret of Mana 3, Japan only, and you can get a couple hundred for a mint sealed copy.

I've got a few sealed mana 2's (aka secrete of mana) so those aren't rare at all. Unless the game is still sealed with the japan plushies and the coth map, in which case yeah that's worth some cash and I'd offer you 1k for it. But short of that, SOM isn't that hard to get sealed or mint. The plush dolls make it or break it. But in general if it ever hit the US, it's worth shit.

a FEW?!? why more than one?? lol PM me if you are interested in selling/trading one.

Jesus, you practically robbed her at gunpoint if you only paid $60 for all that.

Now go play Super Metroid if you haven't already.

Oh yes, Metroid 3 is one of my absolute favorites. Although it may be impossible at this day and age, try playing it without any outside influence and just get lost in the world. Pretend speed runners never existed and the internet didn't exist. :D

You hitted a jackpot man. I wish I would encounter something like that here but thanks to the internet and Huuto.net (finnish ebay) in particular that is never going to happen.

Oh yes, Metroid 3 is one of my absolute favorites. Although it may be impossible at this day and age, try playing it without any outside influence and just get lost in the world. Pretend speed runners never existed and the internet didn't exist. :D

I dont think its impossible. The world is big but it goes forward quite logically. Where you are not supposed to go is usually quite well blocked, unless you are searching for secretes you usually dont have to wander far to find where you should be going.

Metroid on NES was much worse! :eek:

Last edited:
I dont think its impossible. The world is big but it goes forward quite logically. Where you are not supposed to go is usually quite well blocked, unless you are searching for secretes you usually dont have to wander far to find where you should be going.

Metroid on NES was much worse! :eek:

Yeah it's quite easy, intuitive and beatable without outside influence, but I imagine people will be "disenchanted" by video games when they start reading guides to find all the items or learn tricks (like wall jumping) to break the natural sequence of the game, etc.

Shit, back in the day, I sold HAND WRITTEN guides on how to beat Final Fantasy 7 and how to do the Chocobo Breeding portion at school.

a FEW?!? why more than one?? lol PM me if you are interested in selling/trading one.

A few of my friends buy/sell/trade games like that.

Japanese games, especially console get's nutzoid in value. Plus since old console spat out carts instead of CD's or digital downloads, people can zap the cart and reprogram the ROM for their own games. So the value holds a lot more. In the specific case of the SNES for some whack ass reason Nintendo made it so you can mash the Japanese games into a US SNES if you cut a few clips, but you can't do it in reverse without mangling the entire console into a FUGLY mess. Plus Japanese collectors editions tended to toss in cloth maps, dolls, all sorts of crazy junk (pillows for whacking off it seems in some cases).

So American games from that era are largely generic with no extras and thus worth less, or are PC games that have been reprinted a billion times with no "this is a reprint" on them, or were on CD instead of a cart that is no longer possible to manufacture and worth less.

The only American carts that really hold value are Ne-Geo anyways.

Go here for games/buy sell on console and arcade, most guys are hard on still sealed or Japanese versions.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?26-Everything-Else&

I know a few guys that stockpile them, I float between a few sealed of anything at a time.

Nice find OP. Remember playing a bunch of those games. Personally I found my classic system of choice not too long ago.

The only American carts that really hold value are Neo-Geo anyways.

Yes they can. That and just some of the more rare games. ACS games seem to hold their value a good bit more then the MVS versions as well. Still have my acs system sitting around. Figured out a nice way around the price hike without resorting to those expensive adapters that don't always work well.

img0787mediumy.jpg

Yes a real neo geo golden cab. Need to replace the el light panels for the mini marquee's but the control panel has been redone with new sticks and buttons.

WHOAOOA!!
I hate you, with a passion of grueling hate.
And 60$.... I totally hate you.... *fist in air*

But seriously nice find, wow the condition of them all. And no duds or sports games! I like everyone of those, and have fond memories of each. Lucky man, now go play some games!

That is an awesome trove and all of those games are classics, but are SNES carts honestly worth anything?

Back