Some Iphone questions

note235

Supreme [H]ardness
Will the iphone be unlocked? Can you i mean?
Can i use the Iphone if i buy a contract with sprint over seas?
Do you buy the iphone from apple and buy the contract later?
since i have an apple giftcard i want to use.

Will the iphone be unlocked? Can you i mean?
Can i use the Iphone if i buy a contract with sprint over seas?
Do you buy the iphone from apple and buy the contract later?
since i have an apple giftcard i want to use.

no
iphone is cingular
iphone is only available with two year contract
go to the apple site for all the iphone info.:D

iPhone is Cingular only - for right now - I am guessing there is a contract between Apple and Cingular to be the only company to sell the phone for a while.

Even if you were to unlock the phone - you would not be able to use it with Sprint - as Sprint is not a GSM carrier.

You WILL be able to buy the iPhone at an Apple store, take it home, turn it on and then configure the Cingular acount. Not sure if it would work without Cingular service - or what it would do??

oops i typed in the wrong question. I meant if i buy the iphone and have to get the cingulary service then i go overseas can i use it>
since my mom wants one and so do i.

I had to laugh a little when I saw "some iphone questions" because, it seems like everyone has questions about iphone. I kinda want one, but I don't need the phone part of it, I thought you could get the iPhone without a contract.

I don't get it. If Apple wants to sell iPhones at Apple stores, shouldn't they be the unlocked version? I mean, if not, then Apple has to set up cingular counters/systems at all Apple stores to set up/register new customers for Cingular. I'm really hoping that Apple stores will sell the unlocked version, just like Sonystyle stores selling unlocked SE phones.

I don't get it. If Apple wants to sell iPhones at Apple stores, shouldn't they be the unlocked version? I mean, if not, then Apple has to set up cingular counters/systems at all Apple stores to set up/register new customers for Cingular. I'm really hoping that Apple stores will sell the unlocked version, just like Sonystyle stores selling unlocked SE phones.

As 99% of Apple stores are in malls, and any mall in the US worth having an Apple store is going to have at least one Cingular kiosk in it (the mall in my hometown has an Apple store, three Cingular kiosks and a full out Cingular store) I doubt that would be an issue.

I doubt you will find unlocked iPhones from Apple directly.
Why?
~I would assume it is in the contract with Cingular so neither side gets screwed on the deal.
~Also, I would assume if you unlock the phone right when it is released and go somewhere else you will not get all the features that Cingular will provide. So why spend the money then?

There are going to be 2 ways to get the phone.

Apple Store - you buy it and go home. Turn it on and then activate the Cingular service from home.
Cingular Store - you buy the phone and get it activated while standing there in the store.

I doubt you will find unlocked iPhones from Apple directly.
Why?
~I would assume it is in the contract with Cingular so neither side gets screwed on the deal.
~Also, I would assume if you unlock the phone right when it is released and go somewhere else you will not get all the features that Cingular will provide. So why spend the money then?

To add to that - I believe that Apple / Cingular have an agreement that Apple gets part of the monthly revenue for subscribers using the iPhone.

The only features that might be provider specific is probably only the visual voice mail, and I don't really care about that.

Apple Store - you buy it and go home. Turn it on and then activate the Cingular service from home.
:( I have a feeling we would have to wait for an international version of the iPhone, and then import it to get an unlocked version without getting chained to 2 year with cingular. Simply sad.

I know the unlocking questions have been asked thousands of times, but I must ask it once more, but more specifically.

I know that all of Cingular/AT&T's current cell phones are locked, just as the iPhone while be. However, they give subscribers (only!) the ability to unlock their phones with special instructions and a per-IMEI code. I do believe that you must be a customer for many months or a year before they grant the ability to do this. (I have been a Cingular customer for about a year and a half.) They do this for those who want to use their Cinglar phones overseas with other SIM cards (since pre-paid is so much more prevalent in most other places of the world). Of course, they don't expect you to cancel your service soon after, but that's a risk they are willing to take on customers with a long history with them.

So, to my question. My family has been, is, and will be Cingular customers for a long time. However, I plan to study overseas (France) for a year. Obviously, purchasing a pre-paid French SIM card would be much cheaper than Cingular's international roaming, which is why they give the aforementioned ability. Thus, while I am there, our Cingular service will still be active. So, does anyone know if they will continue this unlocking practice with the iPhone or is it still way to early to tell?

Thanks.

I know the unlocking questions have been asked thousands of times, but I must ask it once more, but more specifically.

I know that all of Cingular/AT&T's current cell phones are locked, just as the iPhone while be. However, they give subscribers (only!) the ability to unlock their phones with special instructions and a per-IMEI code. I do believe that you must be a customer for many months or a year before they grant the ability to do this. (I have been a Cingular customer for about a year and a half.) They do this for those who want to use their Cinglar phones overseas with other SIM cards (since pre-paid is so much more prevalent in most other places of the world). Of course, they don't expect you to cancel your service soon after, but that's a risk they are willing to take on customers with a long history with them.

So, to my question. My family has been, is, and will be Cingular customers for a long time. However, I plan to study overseas (France) for a year. Obviously, purchasing a pre-paid French SIM card would be much cheaper than Cingular's international roaming, which is why they give the aforementioned ability. Thus, while I am there, our Cingular service will still be active. So, does anyone know if they will continue this unlocking practice with the iPhone or is it still way to early to tell?

Thanks.

Still way too early to tell. We won't know until it's in stores and in our hands most likely.

hmm excellent question since i am traveling to my home country for summer vacation and would also like to know

Back