Some help from AMDroids.

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
I've been an ardent Intel follower for the last couple of years and I'm ashamed to admit that I've never given AMD a try. Until now, that is.

Now, my question I humbly ask of you AMD fans, please tell me the difference between the various sockets for AMD. This has always been the most daunting aspect of my conversion to the light side - I could never keep up with the socket changes of AMD.

I'm currently looking at 939 - will it at least last for a year or three?

Not a three, but a year at the most. Socket M2 will come out next year and replace it. It will be a 940 pin socket.

Basically...

940 for Opterons and A64 FX's
754 for A64's and Semprons
939 for A64's, Sempron 64's, A64 X2's, A64 FX's, and Opterons

Jason711 said:
interesting, what caused that?

Probably because people that only need 1xx Opterons dont want to pay for the extra costs that go with the 940 platform (i.e. registerred memory, expensive boards, and such.)

This allows for an inexpensive workstation platform. No idea why people can't just use a 3700+, but I assume there will be slower versions and low voltage versions.

To answer the original question:

No.

Socket M2 is coming out in Q1 or Q2 2006.

However, if the giant sticky thread is any indication, socket 754 seems to be surviving quite well. So don't be too worried about buying a 939 system now. If you wait six months and then go to build when M2 comes out, I'll come back and caution you to wait for Conroe, Intel's 65 nm dual-core desktop part engineered from the ground up with Dothan/Yohah-like performance in mind. Conroe is coming around Q4 2006. I'm sure if you actually wait until Q4 2006, I'll be able to find you something else to wait for.

I'm buying a 939 soon. I have no qualms about it.

Conroe interests me. However, I plan on being one of the first to get M2. I've a 939 system that will get here this week, but I still want to try M2 in spite of this. Since Conroe is a good 1.5 years away, I can enjoy some AMDness before Intel finally releases their first decent-for-the-price desktop CPU since the Northwood P4.

Socket 754 is now relegated to the budget end of things (e.g. Sempron). M2 probably won't show up for ~12 months, and S939 will be around for a good year after that. I would say if you went with a 939 board you are looking at a couple of years of support anyway.

Back