Some doubts about cooling, psu and case on a i7-8700K build

im_shadows

n00b
Hey guys, I made my mind about my future setup, but there are some specs on on my list that I wish you could help me:
*MOBO: ASROCK Extreme4 Z370/ASROCK Fatal1ty K6 Z370/Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Gaming/Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7
CPU: i7-8700K
**CPU Cooling Unit: ?
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 16GB 3200Mhz CL16
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 850C 250GB
***CASE: ?
****PSU: ?

*I'm almost 100% sure I'm taking the ASROCK Fatal1ty K6 Z370, but I want you guys opinion. I want a solid MOBO capable of reaching high clocks if needed. (I don't care about Wi-Fi/Bluetooth)

**On CPU Cooling Unit, I thought about getting a cheap CPU FAN (under $100,00), that would allow me to use the computer normally (probably gaming would be the most stressful task I would do), without overclocking it. And maybe I could get a WaterCooler on Black-Friday or next year's Black-Friday. Anyway, I want a CPU FAN capable of lasting until a I buy a WaterCooler someday in the next months/year. Some people suggested to me the DC Gammaxx 400, which I think is cheap, but don't know if it could handle this setup well. What CPU FAN would you suggest?

***About Case, I don't really have much knowledge. I've looked into 3 models, the CM Masterbox Pro 5 (supports 3 front fans and 1 back), the Cougar Archon Mid Tower (supports 2 front fans and 2 side) and the CM Haf 912 (supports 2 front fans, 2 top fans, 1 back fan and 1 side). So, are any of the three good Cases? As I already sad, I'm not an expert at Cases, actually I don't know s*** but the CM Haf 912 looked the best of the three for me. What would you suggest besides the ones listed above?

****And lastly, the PSU. Would it be possible for me to maintain my CX600 and get a 750W/850W PSU on Black-Friday (obviously wouldn't overclock until there).

Before I forget, this PC will used just for gaming, I don't stream/work on it.

What CPU FAN would you suggest? -> I'd recommend something from https://noctua.at/ -> they're very quiet quality coolers and if you buy one of the more beefy ones, you can absolutely overclock with ti

What would you suggest besides the ones listed above? -> this is a crapshoot, what are your case requirements? quiet, tons of airflow, size... too many variables to give you a suggestion

You're CX600 will be totally fine for your future setup, I don't see a need to upgrade unless you plan on doing multi-GPU

What CPU FAN would you suggest? -> I'd recommend something from https://noctua.at/ -> they're very quiet quality coolers and if you buy one of the more beefy ones, you can absolutely overclock with ti

What would you suggest besides the ones listed above? -> this is a crapshoot, what are your case requirements? quiet, tons of airflow, size... too many variables to give you a suggestion

You're CX600 will be totally fine for your future setup, I don't see a need to upgrade unless you plan on doing multi-GPU

one that's not doa, or stuff might quit in a couple months I don't know...This apevia looks all good, that other one was good too but bad cord/plugging it up fried it....

Hey guys, I made my mind about my future setup, but there are some specs on on my list that I wish you could help me:
*MOBO: ASROCK Extreme4 Z370/ASROCK Fatal1ty K6 Z370/Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Gaming/Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7
CPU: i7-8700K
**CPU Cooling Unit: ?
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 16GB 3200Mhz CL16
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 850C 250GB
***CASE: ?
****PSU: ?

*I'm almost 100% sure I'm taking the ASROCK Fatal1ty K6 Z370, but I want you guys opinion. I want a solid MOBO capable of reaching high clocks if needed. (I don't care about Wi-Fi/Bluetooth)

**On CPU Cooling Unit, I thought about getting a cheap CPU FAN (under $100,00), that would allow me to use the computer normally (probably gaming would be the most stressful task I would do), without overclocking it. And maybe I could get a WaterCooler on Black-Friday or next year's Black-Friday. Anyway, I want a CPU FAN capable of lasting until a I buy a WaterCooler someday in the next months/year. Some people suggested to me the DC Gammaxx 400, which I think is cheap, but don't know if it could handle this setup well. What CPU FAN would you suggest?

***About Case, I don't really have much knowledge. I've looked into 3 models, the CM Masterbox Pro 5 (supports 3 front fans and 1 back), the Cougar Archon Mid Tower (supports 2 front fans and 2 side) and the CM Haf 912 (supports 2 front fans, 2 top fans, 1 back fan and 1 side). So, are any of the three good Cases? As I already sad, I'm not an expert at Cases, actually I don't know s*** but the CM Haf 912 looked the best of the three for me. What would you suggest besides the ones listed above?

****And lastly, the PSU. Would it be possible for me to maintain my CX600 and get a 750W/850W PSU on Black-Friday (obviously wouldn't overclock until there).

Before I forget, this PC will used just for gaming, I don't stream/work on it.
Forget about the HAF 912 or any other case that does not have front USB 3.0 ports for any modern PC build. (The front USB ports on the HAF 912 are only USB 2.0 compliant.)

Also, only one of the two USB ports on the Cougar that you mentioned is USB 3.0; the other is only USB 2.0.

As for the CX 600, I'd actually recommend replacing it: It is not a very good 600W PSU, and is in fact an older design than the newer CX650M. Newer PC platforms are more picky than ever about PSU output quality. But forget about getting a decent "750W " or "850W" PSU at a decent price on Black Friday: The models that are typically on sale that day can barely handle even 550W - and some can't cut it at even 350W - despite such high wattage claims.

Last edited:
Back