some athlon memory questions

cathode

2[H]4U
Hey, someone just told me that there's no way i can get 2GB of memory to work in an Athlon 64 system, this person said "Only
Intel has that capability or server boards from either company. "

I was also informed that Trancend brand memory is crap. Can anyone confirm this stuff either way?

You see, I bought the Gigabyte GA-K8VT800M (micro ATX), and Athlon 64 3400+, and 2GB of trancend DDR400... and I couldn't get iot to work very well together, so I RMA'd most of it to be safe. Am I screwed?

I appreciate any light that can be shed on this!

The AMD 64 bit systems can address 2gig of memory. As far as the Trancend brand memory I can't help you there as I've never ran any.

The cpu can handle that much memory...

But its a matter of your motherboard. There should be some tech documents on their site outlining what exactly can be used in the board.

It might even say in the manual how big of a memory stick you can use in the board. For instance, this shuttle board can only have 2 sticks and run at 200mhz memory, but can have 3 sticks and run up to 166mhz.

But, it can handle 1gig of memory on each slot. You might need to give it more voltage as well. Since that much ram I would imagine would need more power then a 128 stick.

Dunno about that name of ram, never heard of it before.

Hey,
THanks for the comments, The manual does mention that it supports 1GB sticks. I tried it stock, It didn't mention adjusting the voltage... good thought though... I might try that last

Remember the Athlon 64 very demanding of memory. Cheap memory is not the way to go.

Back