Some advise about viewing old CBT Nuggets videos

exchange keys

Limp Gawd
My boss found some old discs that he purchased back in 2006 from CBTNuggets.com. He was about to throw them away, but figured I could use them since it could help me learn. These are the following videos:

Cisco CCNA Certification Package (Exam Pack 640-801)
Cisco CCSP Series: Securing Networks with Routers and Switches (Exam Pack 642-502 SNRS)
Cisco CCSP Series: Cisco Secure VPN (Exam Pack 642-511 CSVPN)
Cisco CCSP Series: Securing Networks with PIX and ASA (Exam Pack 642-522 SNPA)
Cisco CCSP Series: Securing Networks using Intrusion Prevention System (Exam Pack 642-532 IPS)
Cisco CCSP Series: Securing Cisco Network Devices (Exam Pack 642-552 SND)

I can see burned data on these CD-Rs, but it seems that the videos/data are encoded with protected WMA/WMV. So, whenever I try to launch the videos from D:\files\videos\n700, it loads WMP11 and then I get this:

Code:
Media Usage Rights Acquisition

[lock] secure.cbtnuggets.com

Please login to your CBT Nuggets accounts with your registered e-mail address and password to activate this series

I can see an outbound connection to 128.242.116.240:80 and 72.247.212.13:443 trying to talk to send240.cbtnuggets.com and a72-247-212-13.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com, and what sucks is that I don't have a username/password set. My boss doesn't remember them either, and he's afraid that if I guess the credentials that he'll get charged. I can understand that.

However, there's local data on these CD-Rs and it seems like such a waste of knowledge to not be able to read them. So, now I'm trying to strip off the DRM; maybe convert the WMA/WMV files to something else, and see if that works.

I'm also trying to chat with the CBT Nuggets people and see if maybe I can just "upgrade" and get some sort of discount, or maybe help me out.

Either way, has anyone ever had a similar experience like this? I don't want to ask for ways to "break" DRM 'cause that's probably against the rules in the forum, but maybe I can get some direction on what to possibly do.

Contacting the company that made/sold the videos would be the best suggestion. The "strip off the DRM" part is something that can't be discussed here at this forum, it's against the rules to discuss such topics.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Sorry for posting about it. This thread should probably be closed/locked if not deleted.

Back