Some advice pertaining to burning movies via quadcore/2 dvd burners

dwilson041781

[H]ard|Gawd
Im trying to burn/backukp movies the fastest way possible and currently use Nero, I was wondering since I have a quad core, is it possible to run 2 instances of Nero and install another Dvd burner and be able to have 2 cores set for each instance of Nero and thus burning 2 movies at once?

*If I cant use Nero for that purpose, Im willing to use some other software, suggestions please.

I've had 3 DVD burners in a single machine at one time and burned copies of files to all three simultaneously without issues. That was about 2 years ago, using XP Pro x64 (OS shouldn't really matter, to be honest), using Nero 6.xx something, with one of the drives attached (as Slave) to the same cable as the primary hard drive (where the source files were) and the two other drives attached to the same cable (Master/Slave) without issues.

I burned off 12 discs of backups that way (3 sets of 4 duplicate discs) without issues, and that was a P4 2.4 machine (Northwood) with 1GB of DDR 400 so, I know today's monster machines can handle it without issues. A few megabytes a second on today's machines is absolutely nothing... even 20x burners are only doing a max of ~35MB/s and that's incredibly rare to actually get that kind of speed anyway. The drives only reach those speeds at the very ends of the discs (outer edges).

I'd say burning two discs at the same time on a quad box would be one of the simplest things possible for that hardware. Nero doesn't need multithreading to burn, so there's absolute no reason to mess with the processor affinity for such purposes, just leave it alone, let it do its job without tampering and everything will work out great.

err I never tried, but just gave it a go and got the message this application is already running so it appears with Nero Vision I cant run 2 instances of it...for the most part Im burning/transcoding .avi's or mpeg's to DVD, any suggestions of other software that will let me run 2 instances? or maybe I can run Nero Vision and 1 other software burning program? thx in advance. :)

Yea, transcoding is a totally different ball game than burning. (Which Vision does both). Transcoding takes up a lot of CPU resources. So many that Nvidia has developed software to transcode using their video cards.

You might be able to use 2 instances of handbrake, but wouldn't recommend it.

You CAN however use 2 separate instances of nero burning rom and burn.

ATI has been doing h.264 trancoding acceleration for years now using their Avivo converter which leverages the GPU to do the calculations; Nvidia is just getting around to it over the past few months with the CUDA and other stuff.

Your best bet is not to do it "all at once." Transcode the files into a batch and then considering doing the burning as a secondary action, not from AVI direct to DVD. There's no real tangible benefits to doing that aside from saving a little bit of time, but with so much going on at one time, even with a quad core, you could be looking at wasting DVD media because of possible bad burns during all this activity.

thanks to everyone for the help, I guess the best thing I can do is build a cheap box solely for transcoding/burning.

joe if you could provide more info as to how to transcode without jumping to burning right away that would be awesome, with nero vision or w/e software u use, PIA sometimes Ill burn a movie twice and have to transcode it again, bleh!

Uhmmm... you transcode it to the target format, which would leave the files behind in a folder, then you'd burn them with software that can create the end-result target media.

Pretty simple stuff...

Why not create and image file, and then use Nero to burn using multiple burners?

Back