Some 10Gb love for the home lab!

NetJunkie

[H]F Junkie
New additions to the home VMware lab. Three Cisco 2960S switches w/ 10Gb uplinks. I had the 48-port already...the two 24-port PoE+ are new. Two Qlogic QLE8242 CNAs and a Qlogic QLE3242 10Gb NIC. And the little ASA5505...

cisco_gear.jpg

Do you get reseller/integrator samples?

Something like that. It depends on the partner but it's usually hard to get equipment outright. Licenses are easy...gear isn't. I have good contacts at Cisco and Qlogic because I help them out and also do things to promote their products. So they help me out when they can.

And thanks to the magic of VMware I just did a no-downtime installation of all 3 adapters...

GOD DAM SEXY STUFF!!

10g wow, so nice, to bad the cards are super loud :(

Very interesting... I wonder what kind of quality the drivers are, that'd be my only concern.

Very interesting... I wonder what kind of quality the drivers are, that'd be my only concern.

not sure, i have to say i know nothing about 10g, looks like it takes a special cable / cord....

I wonder if you could buy "2" and put on in a server and one in another storage server and link to gether for max link..

Ie windows 2008r2 running hyperV then run another machine with iscsi.

not sure, i have to say i know nothing about 10g, looks like it takes a special cable / cord....

I wonder if you could buy "2" and put on in a server and one in another storage server and link to gether for max link..

Those use CX4 connections..standard connector. You can connect them back to back but those are old cards.

Those use CX4 connections..standard connector. You can connect them back to back but those are old cards.

If some one was to buy the "proper 10g" cards could some one use them with out a switch, and direct connect them so they could link the hyperv server and the storage box using iscsi ?

I like 2008 storage server, works great and i like it, and i run 2008r2 hyper v with 6 virtual machines.

Sorry for thread jacking

Myrinet is horribly inefficient when running with a typical IP infrastructure...

Not 10Gb related...but new lab gear. Synology DS1511+ and 5x2TB Seagate Barracuda LP drives. I already have a DS1010+ that I love. This will be dedicated to media therefore taking the load off the other DS1010+ that I use for my vSphere lab.

DS1511.jpg

Not 10Gb related...but new lab gear. Synology DS1511+ and 5x2TB Seagate Barracuda LP drives. I already have a DS1010+ that I love. This will be dedicated to media therefore taking the load off the other DS1010+ that I use for my vSphere lab.

DS1511.jpg

Looks expensive :(

DS1511.jpg

I got one of those a few months ago. It's very solid.

DS1511.jpg

What kind of performance have you been getting from this setup?

Performance is very good for this type of setup. It's all limited by the (5) WD Black drives I have in it. For anything sequential I'll max the link no problem. It's been nothing but stable and reliable. Have to say, overall I'm very pleased.

Back