SOMA - SciFi Horror

I'm really excited to see more. I absolutely loved Amnesia; The Dark Descent.

Looks very promising. Hopefull they can pull through with this one.

I've been keeping an eye on this game ever since I first heard about it...reviews are mainly positive...I enjoy story-based gameplay and this sounds like a decent sci-fi game with a philosophical twist...

Destructoid review
http://www.destructoid.com/review-soma-311740.phtml

PC Gamer review
http://www.pcgamer.com/soma-review/

GameSpot review
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/soma-review/1900-6416245/

I think I'll wait for a price drop as I have too many games lined up plus I'm not sure it's worth $30

I'm an idiot and pre-ordered and I still need to walk through A Machine for Pigs.

I don't like to read reviews but going by what people are posting it looks like the reviews are good. I'll probably decrypt it tomorrow, run it for a few minutes, and then go finish Pigs.

I also have too many games right now. Hoping I get in the mood to play games when it's cooler out, for some reason I hate playing games when it's sunny and warm out.

I'll be picking this one up, I loved Amnesia. A Machine for Pigs was a miss for me, but I'm hoping SOMA can deliver.

Hey SHODAN buddy dont murder me ok? I think its time to replay System shock 2 again

System Shock Enhanced was just released on GOG. Might be time to play BOTH of them. :cool: (Just picked it up myself. Already had System Shock Portable, but this is even better, and no DOSBox underneath it.)

As to SOMA, I'll be grabbing this immediately as well. Looks REALLY fun.

SHODAN is good but getting some of an AM vibe. AM is from "I have no mouth but I must scream". An AI that took great pleasure in the torture of humans.

I still REALLY need to play that game. It came out while I was still playing Dark Seed if I remember correctly, and I never got around to picking it up originally. I've always wanted to play it. It's available everywhere again too, so really nothing stopping me now except time. I'll go pop it on my wishlist in Steam.

Edit: Wow, it was brought back by Night Dive. They're the ones that just acquired and re-released System Shock. Really starting to like these guys! :cool:

I still REALLY need to play that game. It came out while I was still playing Dark Seed if I remember correctly, and I never got around to picking it up originally. I've always wanted to play it. It's available everywhere again too, so really nothing stopping me now except time. I'll go pop it on my wishlist in Steam.

I played “I have no mouth but I must scream” for the first time about a year ago. I got it from GOG or Steam on sale dirt cheap.

Gameplay is very old school point-n-click adventure game. I use to love at one time but now I don’t seem to have the patience for it nowadays. So I pretty much had a walkthrough open the whole time.

Yet it hooked me. AM is so dark and twisted. The literal hell he puts these characters through, each of who are far from perfect people themselves. Very unique story.

So I have been playing it for a little bit and I'm enjoying it, lots of mystery and "intrigue."

It's not as darkly horror as Amnesia or anything, it's more sci-fi/creepy but not super scary or anything.

I still need to play Outlast which I picked up for cheap during the last Steam sale...I'm guessing SOMA is more psychological horror versus jump scares

Fired SOMA up last night, beautiful game very atmospheric, about two hours in and am intrigued. Nice to see a video game that has some polish and originality for 30 bucks.

Did you play Amnesia?

I have, and "A Machine for Pigs", similar gameplay obviously but the premise of SOMA is fascinating. Not sure where they will go with it but it seems to be trying to ask some interesting questions.

I've been keeping an eye on this game ever since I first heard about it...reviews are mainly positive...I enjoy story-based gameplay and this sounds like a decent sci-fi game with a philosophical twist...

Destructoid review
http://www.destructoid.com/review-soma-311740.phtml

PC Gamer review
http://www.pcgamer.com/soma-review/

GameSpot review
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/soma-review/1900-6416245/

I think I'll wait for a price drop as I have too many games lined up plus I'm not sure it's worth $30

No combat, I'll pass.

No combat, I'll pass.

While I don't see it black and white like that, I think some balance of the two styles of play would be cool. Not all game characters need to be walking arsenals, but the ability to pick up tools and hit something, or maybe have a small side-arm or something with extremely limited ammo, or something like that seems to round things out. Though, underwater science installations are hardly a place you'd see guns I think. :D

I think I'll enjoy this game. Though yeah, a little bit of combat would be cool.

While I don't see it black and white like that, I think some balance of the two styles of play would be cool. Not all game characters need to be walking arsenals, but the ability to pick up tools and hit something, or maybe have a small side-arm or something with extremely limited ammo, or something like that seems to round things out. Though, underwater science installations are hardly a place you'd see guns I think. :D

I think I'll enjoy this game. Though yeah, a little bit of combat would be cool.

I wouldn't care if there was one enemy that I had to drive off multiple times throughout the game in a similar situation as the reviews describe this one. But at the end I want to fucking kill the damn thing.

I couldn't do Amnesia the Dark Descent. I call it "Run like a Little Bitch." I dislike the idea that I don't have the option to fight back in a game of all things. I'd want to fight in real life if my life was actually threatened. I don't find the idea of running away or avoiding enemies in a game. That doesn't spell "entertainment" to me. I can understand the game not focusing on combat but if I can't kill the thing that's been chasing me, what's the payoff?

I wouldn't care if there was one enemy that I had to drive off multiple times throughout the game in a similar situation as the reviews describe this one. But at the end I want to fucking kill the damn thing.

I couldn't do Amnesia the Dark Descent. I call it "Run like a Little Bitch." I dislike the idea that I don't have the option to fight back in a game of all things. I'd want to fight in real life if my life was actually threatened. I don't find the idea of running away or avoiding enemies in a game. That doesn't spell "entertainment" to me. I can understand the game not focusing on combat but if I can't kill the thing that's been chasing me, what's the payoff?

Definitely see your point. I think I can change my play style to suit the game, but yeah, it's not really a reflection on how I would personally handle a fucked up situation either. I'd rather do my best to take control of the situation as well, rather than let the situation dictate everything.

It's a really good game. I've picked it up and although I'm only about 3 hours in I'm really enjoying it. But then I really enjoy games like this Amnesia was amazing and Alien: Isolation was simply insane. SOMA is just as good as those in my opinion.

This video really sold it to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvPVciGnkcM

It looked to be just my kind of horror. Some crazy thing skulking in the shadows that I have to avoid with some great backstory behind it. I'm loving it myself.

normally I would agree but games like Amnesia and SOMA are nice change-of-pace games for me...something new with a different playstyle...I wouldn't want every game to be like this where I can't fight the enemies but if the atmosphere and environment are creepy enough then it works ...plus underwater research labs are always cool!

It's a really good game. I've picked it up and although I'm only about 3 hours in I'm really enjoying it. But then I really enjoy games like this Amnesia was amazing and Alien: Isolation was simply insane. SOMA is just as good as those in my opinion.

This video really sold it to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvPVciGnkcM

It looked to be just my kind of horror. Some crazy thing skulking in the shadows that I have to avoid with some great backstory behind it. I'm loving it myself.

Alien Isolation has some combat in it doesn't it?

I agree, I fail to see the point of these "run for your life" games where you have ZERO ways to defend yourself. I tried Amnesia, but I just can't get into it. The millenials love this shit though, especially if Markiplier or PewDiePie is screaming like an idiot over it on youtube.

I weep for the future.

I agree, I fail to see the point of these "run for your life" games where you have ZERO ways to defend yourself. I tried Amnesia, but I just can't get into it. The millenials love this shit though, especially if Markiplier or PewDiePie is screaming like an idiot over it on youtube.

I weep for the future.

I'm no millennial but love Amnesia.

For the record I only know of PewDiePie because of South Park and have no idea who Markiplier is. Or care.

I'm no millennial but love Amnesia.

For the record I only know of PewDiePie because of South Park and have no idea who Markiplier is. Or care.

I didn't say that only millenials like this stuff, but amongst my small circle of younger friends they love stuff like Slender, SCP Containment Breach, Amnesia, Five Nights at Freddy's, etc.

I may not "get it", but I wasn't trying to put down those that do. It's just not for me. And as for PewDie or Markiplier, they are a disgrace to the LP trend that slowbeef started long ago. I really don't give a shit myself, just noting them as a reference to one reason why these games have become so popular with the youngins'.

I weep for the future.

You ever play an adventure game? You know, the games that were once the king of all games back in the mid 90's? The type of games like Myst that not only were the top seller but also brought about the wide adoption of cd-roms after floppies?

Yeah, most adventure games had zero combat, even though you had dangerous enemies or fail states. There were games even back then you couldn't fight back or had to simply out-think the enemy.

Gabriel Knight
Phantsmagoria
etc.

I enjoy these kinds of games because of the focus on story and puzzles, just like adventure games.

It has nothing to do with what some "youtuber" likes, and I've been playing games since the late 80's.

You ever play an adventure game? You know, the games that were once the king of all games back in the mid 90's? The type of games like Myst that not only were the top seller but also brought about the wide adoption of cd-roms after floppies?

Yeah, most adventure games had zero combat, even though you had dangerous enemies or fail states. There were games even back then you couldn't fight back or had to simply out-think the enemy.

Gabriel Knight
Phantsmagoria
etc.

I enjoy these kinds of games because of the focus on story and puzzles, just like adventure games.

It has nothing to do with what some "youtuber" likes, and I've been playing games since the late 80's.

I've been playing games at least as long as you. I never cared for the games you mentioned for the same reasons I mentioned.

I understand and agree with Stiler's point, though. He's making the point that these games were around long before Youtube "stars" like Pewdiepie and Markiplier became popular with the kids. It's a bit insulting to be equated with immature kids who like the screaming nonsense from those personalities with we older gamers who have an understanding and appreciation for more thoughtful, non-combat based games.

Dan, obviously no one is going to suddenly change your point of view or what you like to play. It's just that this is a valid and interesting type of gameplay for many people, not just the young 'uns.

I've been playing games at least as long as you. I never cared for the games you mentioned for the same reasons I mentioned.

That's fully your right, I don't expect everyone to like them, the same as I don't enjoy "racing" games (at least not the sims).

My point was to just point out that games similar to these have existed long before this generation and youtubers.

I HATE "five nights at freddy's", the jump scare focused type games that illicit cheap scares without a decent story.

I love games like this that invoke a much more powerful storyline , characters, and actually make you think.

Hell, the game actually makes you feel for non-talking characters simply based on what they do and how they behave/react to the player.

It's very hard to many games to make you care/feel for talking characters, let alone ones that have 0 dialogue.

To me storylines are important, it's why I like adventure games (Some of the best stories in gaming were from adventure games) and rpg's, both focus a lot more on story/characters then any other genre.

Also in Soma, there really isn't a LOT of "running from enemies."

Literally in my 10 hours played so far I have ran into enemies maybe a handful of times, you spend faaaaaaaaaar more time just exploring and puzzle solving things. It's not nearly as focused on this aspect as Amnesia was.

Back