[SOLVED] Suddenly, Win 10 desktop won't wake from sleep via USB keyboard/mouse

mb91

n00b
All of a sudden, my 64-bit Win 10 Pro (v 1511) desktop will no longer wake up from sleep via my USB keyboard or mouse. It worked perfectly for the last year until yesterday, no matter how many power cycles it went through. I shut it down last night, but after I booted up this morning and later put it to sleep, it would no longer wake up no matter what I do. There were no changes whatsoever since yesterday; no installs and no updates. I've tried a few power cycles since then, but the problem remains.

I made no changes to my power profile. I do NOT have "fast start" or hibernation enabled, and I've made no changes to my BIOS settings. All of the HIDs have "Allow this device to wake the computer" enabled as well as all USB devices. No devices are set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" enabled.

The machine is a home-built desktop based on an ASUS Z87-A mobo with an Intel i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz. Along with it's built-in Intel HD Graphics 4600 video adapter connected via HDMI to an HD monitor, it has an AMD Radeon HD 6450 connected via an HDMI switch that's usually unswitched (i.e., not connected/not active). When active, it's connected to an HDTV, but again, that's usually not the case, and I haven't used it that way in at least a month.

The USB-2 keyboard and mouse are separately connected to a USB-3 hub that's connected to a USB-3 port on the computer. I've since tried using different USB-3 and USB-2 ports, but that made no difference.

All that being the case, since there's been NO changes whatsoever, it's truly bizarre that it just suddenly stopped working! What can I do?

Additional Info-- output of "powercfg –devicequery wake_armed" command:

HID-compliant system controller (002)
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device (008)
HID-compliant vendor-defined device (022)
Logitech USB TrackMan Wheel (009)
HID Keyboard Device (027)

Similar problem with an aging Phenom II setup...no wakey. Pretty much have to pull the plug and reboot.

Some time ago I ran across a command line op that seemed to fix things for some months. Like a dumbass I didn't bookmark it or write it down and I need to try it again to see if it'll work its magic once more.

Reactions: mb91
like this
Not sure if it will do any good, but you may try to change your power settings, then revert them back.
I had an issue with... something... I can't remember exactly what now. It wouldn't sleep maybe?
At any rate, somehow the power settings went TU, despite nothing visually changing.
I changed settings to something else, saved, then reverted the settings back. All was good again.

Similar problem with an aging Phenom II setup...no wakey. Pretty much have to pull the plug and reboot.

Some time ago I ran across a command line op that seemed to fix things for some months. Like a dumbass I didn't bookmark it or write it down and I need to try it again to see if it'll work its magic once more.

Thanks, EchoWars! I hope you can find it.

Not sure if it will do any good, but you may try to change your power settings, then revert them back.
I had an issue with... something... I can't remember exactly what now. It wouldn't sleep maybe?
At any rate, somehow the power settings went TU, despite nothing visually changing.
I changed settings to something else, saved, then reverted the settings back. All was good again.

Thanks, gimp! I'll give that a try and report back

BINGO!

That fixed it! It doesn't make any sense that these settings would suddenly change and prevent wake-ups without any changes whatsoever, but I don't care about that now that it's working again.

Enormous thanks, gimp! :)

Hmm... Easier than trying to find the bloody needle in the internet haystack. I'll try it.

Back