(Solved)MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio fan curve and setting set speed fan issue

Grunt

Weaksauce
This past weekend I purchased a new MSI 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio. I am upgrading from a MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X. Prior to the MSI 2080 Ti I wanted to say with a hybrid card and went with a EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid. Since May of this year I have went through 2 EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid because of the noise emitting from the pump on the GPU. Both EVGA's were purchased new from Amazon and returned. My MSI 1080Ti hybrid is quiet.

Onto the MSI 2080Ti. The installation was a breeze. Using MSI Afterburner I was idling in the mid 50's Celsius and the fans on the MSI 2080 Ti were not moving. No problem I thought I would set a fan curve in Afterburner. When I first made a fan curve it would activate and quickly go back to 0 % speed. I cannot even set a constant fan speed (ie set 90% fan speed and when I hit apply it moves back to 0). Presently the only thing that works is adjusting the fan speed update time from 5000 ms to 100 ms. Even with this work around the speed of the fan keeps fluctuating from the fan curve speed to 0 and you can hear the fan speeds increase and decrease..

My MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X and both EVGA 2080Ti's did not have this issue and I had complete control over setting the fan curve and fan speed.

Things I have done:
- Used DDU to remove and install new GPU driver.
- Removed and installed current MSI Afterburner from MSI.
- Spoke with MSI support and they want me to send the GPU back to them or return to the seller (Microcenter). Support also said the fans do not come on till they hit 70 degrees Celius.

There are other owners on the MSI forum experiencing the same issue. That is were I found the partial workaround to adjust the fan speed update time to 100 ms and that does not work 100%.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update (9/2/19): Returned the MSI GPU and purchased a EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra. I have complete control of setting a fan curve and set fan speed. Problem fixed.

Last edited:
Do the fans turn off whilst gaming. If so I'd personally RMA it. When on the desktop is fine, but not whilst gaming.

There's nothing wrong with the default fan curve from what I am reading. Typically the card doesn't exceed 40% fan speed during gaming. The only goof you maybe are doing is not taking it off of auto? On classic mode you need to click the button to turn it off first.

The default fan curve has my GPU temp at 50 degrees Celsius when idling. Per MSI the fans do not come till the GPU reaches a temperature of 70 degrees Celsius. Gaming under load (The Division 2) temperature is in the high 70 and crested into 81 degrees Celsius with an ambient room temperature of 71 degrees Fahrenheit. My MSi 1080Ti Hybrid and both EVGA 2080 Ti Hybrids would idle in the high 20' to low 30's Celsius. Gaming under load was in the high 50's to low 60's Celsius.

Since applying the work around for the MSI 2080 Ti I am idling at 28 degrees Celius with the fan at 59 % speed. I cannot set a steady fan speed in Afterburner, I set it and it quickly moves back to 0 speed. The current work around fluctuates the fan speed, it will hold the fan speed curve for approximately 3 minutes and for the next 15 seconds it bounces from the set speed to zero speed and back to the set speed for 3 minutes.

MSI support suggest sending the card in for RMA or return it to the seller (Microcenter).

What is your ultimate goal? The stock fan curve has the fans off at all temperatures under 60c. Idling at this temperature will not damage your card, and under load the fans will turn on and keep the temperatures reasonable. I have defined my own fan curve in MSI, and I did not experience the issues you are describing, however I found there is no need for a custom fan curve as the stock curve works fine, even when overclocked to 2Ghz. About the only thing the custom curve did do is make more noise...

Update: MSI technical support recommended that I send (RMA) the GPU to them or return to seller (Microcenter). I elected to return it and I bought a EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra. The EVGA allows me to set a fan curve and set the fan at any given percentage speed. So I now have regained control of the fan speed. One other issued that has been resolved, since installing the MSI 2080Ti I have have to manually select G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel each time I started my PC. With the EVGA 2080Ti that is no longer an issue.

Back