[solved] Linux and NTFS. read only volume which is an encrypted container

postcd

Weaksauce
Hello,

my windows computer frozen (literary, no error, no reaction) and no longer start i am going to bring it for repair.

The issue is that the drive which is a full disk encrypted drive using VeraCrypt was not cleanly dismounted and now in Linux the Veracrypt volume mounted, but files editing not working and even to root is shown error that this is read-only filesystem.

veracrypt on /var/tmp/.veracrypt_aux_mnt2 type fuse.veracrypt (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other)
/dev/mapper/veracrypt2 on /media/veracrypt2 type fuseblk (ro,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)

VeraCrypt shows that it is not Read only in the volume properties. So i think the problem is with some NTFS thingy which may be automatically fixed by mounting the volume on Windows (user here in comments fixed it like that), but unsure how to fix it on Linux?

"ntfsfix /media/veracrypt2" shows the tool works only with devices not with "folders"
and "ntfs-3g /media/veracrypt2 recover" seems to me similar

If no one will have idea, i will have to try to use Hiren boot cd

I fixed it my friends!

Command: ntfsfix /dev/mapper/veracrypt2
Code:
Mounting volume... The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors...
Processing $MFT and $MFTMirr...
Reading $MFT... OK
Reading $MFTMirr... OK
Comparing $MFTMirr to $MFT... OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
Setting required flags on partition... OK
Going to empty the journal ($LogFile)... OK
Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
NTFS volume version is 3.1.
NTFS partition /dev/mapper/veracrypt2 was processed successfully.

then close terminals and file explorers that are using the mounted volume and unmount using Veracrypt, mount again and system is writeable.

Back