Solved: LG 27GL850-B & Asus TUF VG27AQL1A both are not seen on boot by motherboard

kamikazi

[H]ard|Gawd
Final Edit: nVidia BIOS update took care of the problem. Apparently, there was an update for cards to make them compatible with v 1.3 and 1.4 versions of DisplayPort. What is odd is that the Asus VG27AQL1A is a displayport 1.2 monitor, but still had the issue. My old Acer Predator was v1.2 and didn't have an issue. Oh well, all's well that ends well I guess.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: I'm kind of changing direction with this thread to figure out why two new monitors both are not detected by BIOS when connected by DisplayPort.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I recently purchased an Asus TUF VG27AQL1A and while I'm happy with the way it works and games and looks, it has a nice annoying feature. Displayport is so slow to turn on that when I boot the computer, my motherboard see it as a vga error and lights up the error light. Even after the monitor finally "turns on", the error light stays on. I can't see the BIOS launching, so if I want to enter BIOS, I have to guess when to hit F2 and it seems like it's actually altering boot up, so I can't get in. I have another monitor connected to the only hdmi port on my 1080ti. So, to get to BIOS, I have to disconnect the new monitor and boot to the other monitor or disconnect the second monitor and connect the new monitor with hdmi. I didn't see anything about this in any reviews, but after I found the problem, googling shows me that I'm not the only one. To me, it's ridiculous to deal with this, so the monitor is going back.

I've narrowed down the replacement to either the LG 27GL850-B or the Gigabyte FI27Q-P. This site has a quick run down comparing the two (It compares the FI27Q (non P version) which is close, but not quite as good as the P version which includes HDR and some better overdrive settings for VRR). RTINGS.com head to head LG 27GL850-B v. Gigabyte FI27Q-P This site has a long write up of the Viewsonic gsync version that uses the same panel as the LG PCmonitors.info Viewsonic Elite vs. the FI27Q-P PCmonitors.info FI27Q-P. I've been reading lots of reviews and it seems it's a mixed bag on which one is better. Forum posts are interesting to say the least. The LG has lower contrast, but some people say you really don't notice it. It has better response times because of the nano whatever screen from LG. The Gigabyte has better contrast while being slightly slower on response times. It also has a lot more gamer extras, but I don't really care about those. I want the monitor that will work best right now with my 1080Ti, but in the future work well with a Radeon 6800XT for gaming. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, the new LG 27GL850-B has the same behavior as the Asus TUF VG27AQL1A. Although it does seem more responsive and wakes up more quickly than the Asus, on boot, it still times out and the motherboard throws a fault for no VGA that persists even after the monitor is active. I can't see the BIOS splash screen and the monitor warns that it's going to sleep due to no signal while the computer is booting. After a few seconds, the screen will wake to the Windows Login Screen. Perhaps this is video card related or motherboard related? However, my old Acer Predator 165 G-Sync connected via Display Port didn't have this problem. Anyone have any ideas? Are all newer monitors super slow to auto negotiate with computers now?

Back