[SOLVED} Bit of a Nightmare

OliverQueen

Limp Gawd
I have been running a legit version of Adobe CS6 for a number of years and happy with how it performs & functions. Works fine on my old system of i7 4770K, 32GB DDR3 & GTX 970 but if I deactivate it on that machine & move it onto my new machine - i7 8700, 32GB DDR4 & RTX2070 - any of the applications will open & allow me to use the menus etc, but if I create a new document or open an existing file, the application immediately closes to the desktop with no warning or entry in to the Event Viewer logs. I have even tried CC versions of the software on the new machine using a friends log in details & the same thing happens. I have changed m.2 & 2.5" SSD's in the system with fresh installs of legitimate W10 Home to the same issue.

I have tried resetting BIOS back to defaults, different driver versions, putting the RTX2070 in the old machine (Photoshop & Premiere all work fine still but with the GTX970 in the new machine they still crash to desktop).

Adobe Support are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard & I feel robbed after spending so much on licensed software only to be told that they won't help unless I pay for a CC subscription (which I am not going to do as CC apps do the same thing).

After uninstalling the applications, I notice that an Adobe Licensing Service is still running after subsequent reboots in Task Manager even after the software has been totally removed & CCleaner Registry tool run. If the service is manually disabled, it restarts again after a reboot.

I upgraded the machine so I could retire the old one as Photoshop, Dreamweaver & Premiere are the main applications I use a computer for (gaming is secondary & not as important to me) & so far, I am stuck with a bit of a "lemon" that runs everything else perfectly fine other than Adobe applications! Atfer spending so much money on the upgraded machine, spending lots of money on the CS6 license all those years ago & CC products not working on it either, I am at a loss to what is the problem other than Adobe 'blacklisting' my machine for some reason (no idea why as followed the procedure to the letter to remove the license from old machine on to the newer one). I have also tried a "dodgy" CS6 version of Photoshop which does the exact same thing as well (this was last resort!).

I have used search engines to see if I can find a solution, but every "solution" I have found online has also failed.

Anyone else had the same thing?

As a temporary stop gap, I downloaded GIMP but I am too used to the way Photoshop works & it is slowing me down (the purpose of the new machine was to speed things up!). I am almost to the point where I am going to sell the new rig & just stick with the old machine that has been working for numerous years. The main issue is that I don't want to spend any more money on software whilst I have already done so with the CS6 collection. It does the jobs I require it to do and the only thing holding it back was the hardware at the end of the day. I wasn't expecting rocket speed changes but more efficiency as well as newer technologies such as m.2 & DDR4.

I was hoping that someone else may have had a similar experience and a fix but not holding my breath at this time :(

What version of Windows are you running on your old system?

What release of Windows 10 is on the new computer?

It really should just work unless there is some bug preventing it working on whatever release of Windows 10 you are using on the new computer.

On a side note, my computer just updated to I think the 1903 release earlier today. I haven't had a chance to mess with it since I was only home for a little while.

I take it you already installed all the updates for CS6 on the new machine?

What version of the nVidia drivers are on the old machine? What version is on the new machine?

Last edited:
I had countless issues with adobe products over the years. You just get used to that. Adobe products are crap. Unfortunately other products are really not up to the job for many tasks.
Change software, go to the dark side with newer versions, use virtual machines with older OS... pick one. If an adobe product doesn't like your system, you could spend weeks and months trying to make it run. I had an issue with my previous system for years. Only with Adobe prod's. Fortunately the issue went away with the new hardware/OS, but there are new ones, of course.

What version of Windows are you running on your old system?

Currently 1809 on both but will be trying 1903 when it becomes available to me

What release of Windows 10 is on the new computer?

As old machine.

It really should just work unless there is some bug preventing it working on whatever release of Windows 10 you are using on the new computer.

That's what I have been racking my brains with over the past few weeks. Even went out & bought another new Windows 10 USB stick & key (just to make sure!)

On a side note, my computer just updated to I think the 1903 release earlier today. I haven't had a chance to mess with it since I was only home for a little while.

That's what I will be doing tomorrow if 1903 is available to me then.

I take it you already installed all the updates for CS6 on the new machine?

Tried with & without the latest updates to the CS6 appliactions just to make sure.

What version of the nVidia drivers are on the old machine? What version is on the new machine?

Latest available from GeForce Experience (both Game & Creator version just to see if that was the difference on the RTX card)

I had countless issues with adobe products over the years. You just get used to that. Adobe products are crap. Unfortunately other products are really not up to the job for many tasks.
Change software, go to the dark side with newer versions, use virtual machines with older OS... pick one. If an adobe product doesn't like your system, you could spend weeks and months trying to make it run. I had an issue with my previous system for years. Only with Adobe prod's. Fortunately the issue went away with the new hardware/OS, but there are new ones, of course.

I really do not understand what is causing the issue though as the only things different are the CPU, RAM & Motherboard (I have used identical 850 Pro SSD to the old machine in it originally, then tried a 860 EVO 2.5" vNAND version and then a 870 Pro m.2 nVME drive.). I even tried a clone of the old machines installation to see if that solved it, but same issue with Adobe products. I really do not think Adobe would put a block on an i7 8700, Corsair Vengence PRO RGB DDR RAM & Asus ROG Maximus X Hero as that combination is going to be a reasonably popular choice.

I have to admit that after 30 years experience in the IT/System Building world, I have never come across an issue as isolated as this. Usually if it happened with one piece of software, it would happen to most others as well, but as everything else is running as smooth as silk, I can only think that somehow Adobe have put the "kibosh" on this system. All 4 RAM modules pass MemTEST runs at both stock 2166Mhz (BIOS default) & at the SPD/XMP rated 3000Mhz. Disabling Hyperthreading makes no difference as does if the CPU is overclocked or not (all cores and package are running at less than 30C idle on the Corsair H115i Pro AIO).
The only actual difference in the Windows installation is the display resolution which is 3840x2160 (150% scaling) on the new machine's 28" UHD DisplayPort panels & 1920x1080 (100% scaling) on the old machines 24" VGA/DVI only panel.

Again - Adobe as any large and complex software is millions of lines of code, different technologies etc.. you could never know what it doesn't "like" in your (new or old) system, no matter if it costs $100 or $100,000, no matter if temps are 100 degrees or 10 or -10. There is always something particular in combination between software, hardware, drivers, etc. that makes Adobe soft malfunction in some area or functionality. Yes, most often only Adobe, as I said. Everything else works Ok but Adobe software shows some attitude.
Try newer(st) versions. I must admit they got better and some bugs got fixed between some versions in CC 2018-2019. Almost couldn't believe.

Try newer(st) versions. I must admit they got better and some bugs got fixed between some versions in CC 2018-2019. Almost couldn't believe.

Original post states I tried the latest CC versions using a friends details to see if it worked before plumping out myself, and same thing happens with them. Open up application & as soon as open a file or try to create a new file, the application closes to desktop.

OK. Spent the whole day trying to resolve this and finally got CS6 applications working again on the NEW machine!!!!

• Reset UEFI and overclocking back to Defaults and turned off Asus Multicore. Set the CPU min & max multiplier to the Intel specs (32 min & 46 max) as well as Bus Speed to 100 instead of the 103.2 that XMP wanted. Applications still did not work.
  • I disconnected ALL my SSD's & HDD's that are in the machine - other than the primary m.2 Boot Drive, & completely reinstalled Windows 10 Home off of a NEW shop bought Microsoft 10 USB stick.
  • Installed all the drivers one at a time with restart after each driver install (as it should be done instead of skipping and installing multiple drivers before restarting!).
  • Reinstalled Adobe CS6 Collection & activated.
  • Photoshop, Premier Pro, etc all open and allow respective files to open & be worked on.
Only thing I had not done prior to posting here for advice is to set ASUS Multicore to Disabled in the UEFI.

As they are now working fine, going to leave things as they are even if it means a slight hit on performance as it may as well be a pedal car than a Ferrari if what you need it to do doesn't work!

I spoke too soon...... Nothing changed & just went to edit a couple of JPG's & doing the exact same thing again! Has to be either the motherboard, RAM or CPU causing it as it worked with the RTX2070 on the old machine. I literally have no idea now as cannot return the new components now & not going to waste any more money on buying software.

OK, I *think* I have now finally resolved the issue!!!!

Checked Event Viewer & Asus GPU Tweak II was causing issues with other applications in them closing automatically from the Notification Area, so uninstalled that to fix those issues and Photoshop etc now all work again...... How long for, I do not know but not going to reinstall GPU Tweak II again!!! Will now look for another GPU Tweaking application that is not OEM compiled (such as Afterburner, GPU Tweak, etc)

Overclocking on your work/primary machine?

This was a brand new build & yes, the machine it replaced has been overclocked with no problems since day one.

Now things are working as they should be, it will be left as it is. It was not overclocking that was the problem though, just the Asus GPU Tweak II not playing nicely with the PNY RTX2070. It is installed on the old machine still with no issues at all but that machine has an Asus GTX970 in it.

Just done a few more checks overnight (insomnia is a bitch when you are in constant pain) & it is working fine still without GPU Tweak II installed (no more of the other applications that run in the Notification Tray are closing either now & Event Viewer logs show no further errors or warnings since the last "crash" before uninstalling GPU Tweak)

Last edited:
Almost 24 hours later & it is still working 100%! I have installed MSI Afterburner to "tweak" the GPU and so far, so good.

Back