Solve my dilemma: Would you upgrade to 780 Ti for 86$ more?

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story short, due to a promotion I am getting an EVGA 780 GTX Ti for 86$ more than the money I spent on an MSI 780 GTX lightning, which does 1306 / 6.5Ghz. Earlier I had already purchased a 780 GTX Ti from Amazon but changed my mind (mainly due to the huge price difference). However, this time around I am giving it a serious thought.

The EVGA SC version of the 780 GTX Ti seems to have a 10% faster core clock than the default version. And reviewers have already been able to hit 1200 Mhz on the core very easily since the 780 GTX Ti is based on GK110B (a highly binned version).

What do you guys think? Would you upgrade to the Ti and return the lightning or keep what you have and wait for the next generation; bearing in mind that the lightning currently meets the performance of the 780 GTX Ti's default configuration at it's current overclock.

Sure if you want to. Its totally up to you. The coolers on the lightning are much better though.

Yea I really love the lightning and it's hard to give up the card. But the Ti can yield 20% higher performance once overclocked. An overclocked lightning barely beats the EVGA 780 GTX Ti SC.

Tough call. $86 is not a bunch extra for the additional performance. I personally would likely go ahead and do it, as much as I think the Lightning is a fantastic card.

I think it's worth it, but the question is do you need the additional power right now? If not I would just wait.

Shit man, I blew 90 bucks on comic books the past 2 weeks so 86 is nothing, its only money - you'll make more.

Card's going to come to me tomorrow. Will see how the performance measures against the highly overclocked 780 GTX lightning!

Pfff I would DEFINATELY not do it if you have a 780 that does 1306 with a way better cooler. Like winning the lottery then just saying awww screw it ill spend it all ill win again lol. Could get a 780ti that only does 1202 or less than your probably about the same performance and out $90. Maybe worrh it if u wait for a 780ti lightning.

Usually upgrading a high end card is either a question of a more performance needed, or a desire for "more and better."
Definitely a great choice to be, from reports so far.

Back