Solutions for my 32TB dilemma...

Z F S .....

And alot of drives and ECC and your data will stay 100% consistent error free sweetness for 100's of years.

So chatting with some friends this weekend I got a line on a Norco RPC-4020.

After some haggling I got it for $180 plus he wants to copy a bunch of my movies and tv shows. It was funny how excited he got when I told him I had every episode of Sandford and Son and all the original A-Team episodes plus a whole bunch of 1970s shows.

It has all the hot swap bays and all 6 fans. It's a bare case really but since my current set-up is working well I have time to just piece the rest together.

This should be fun as I have no clue really what i'm doing but I will learn alot from doing this.

The stock fans in the 4020 are screaming loud. You'll want to get (or make) a midplane bracket to hold 3x 120mm fans to tame it. Lots of info available in many threads here and on other forums.

Other that that I think you'll be quite happy with that case.

The stock fans in the 4020 are screaming loud. You'll want to get (or make) a midplane bracket to hold 3x 120mm fans to tame it. Lots of info available in many threads here and on other forums.

Other that that I think you'll be quite happy with that case.

Thanks for the suggestion

Slowing the existing fans with a fan controller probably works OK. Won't ever be as quiet as using 120mm fans, but you may be satisfied and it will cost much less.

As designed, the midplane fan board on the 4220 is really poor. It has too many gaps on the sides and for the multiple cable holes to be effective. What you really want is to have the compartment in front of the midplane sealed as well as reasonably possible from the back compartment so that the majority of the airflow comes in through the drive bays and out through the holes in the back. As is, most of the air will just circulate around the midplane through the holes and not do you any good. This will be much worse if you lower the static pressure of the case by slowing the fans...

Its pretty simple to fix. Just find some convenient blocking materiel (cardboard works) and block off all the holes in/around the midplane so that all the air has to go in the front, through the fans and out the back. Your cooling efficiency will go WAY up and those Delta fans running slow will be as efficient as they were screaming loud (maybe more).

Also - block the square holes along the lower-side corners of the front compartment. No idea why anyone from Norco thought those would be useful. All they do is allow intake air to go around the drive bays...you want/need the intake air to flow over your drives to keep them running cool.

Again - I think you'll be very happy with your case. Especially given the price you scored it for!

^^^^^^

Thanks for those tips. I am going to consolidate as much as I can on the 3TB drives than fill up the remaining bays with the 2TB drives. I will eventually move to all 3TB drives.

Back