“Solo” Box Office a Historic Failure for “Star Wars”

Deadpool IS pansexual, and nobody gives a shit. You know why? Because he is Deadpool, and it makes sense. The problem we have is that some fuckwad Star Trek assholes decided to infect Star Wars with their bullshit. Star Wars is not the place for political statement bullshit. That is the realm of Star Trek. All we want to see in Star Wars is space wizards and space battles.

Holy shit people. Him being Pansexual (or not exclusive to gender or race) was made off to FIT the character! Holy crap. Get a damn grip the movie was good. Stop looking for reasons to hate... oh wait nevermind this is the internet.

Reactions: odoe
like this
I have been told for all disney 3 they are great movies and they been shit to me... Although in TLJ i laughed a lot so i liked it in that sense, but it was still crap overall... Forgive me if i can't believe this one will be any good.
Sorry my first post was snarky, too much coffee or kids getting on my nerves.

Either way, it’s up to people to find out what they like. The original SW series weren’t good movies they just had something that no other movies had; good sound/visual effects, standard prerequisites for audio and visual to ensure good playback, gigantic galaxy fights, and space wizards.

I like Star Wars because I like the universe, if you don’t like the movies you probably don’t like the story but don’t let others decide for you if something is good or not. It seems like you already don’t like SW so this wouldn’t be a good movie.

Star Wars is just dead for me. I don’t care enough to hate it or to argue about it. After JJs movie TFA - I just don’t care. I would rather just go see Infinity War again.

-Life long Star Wars fan

Star Wars was dead with 1, 2, and 3. Everything that was so mythical, awesome, and mysterious (midi-fucking-chlorians) was completely thrown away with the prequels. One of the greatest franchises converted into weezah gannah dye, roger-roger, and a religious order that created Darth instead of preventing it. Also to note, the saber battles were really shitty with too much influence with modern theatrical martial art techniques instead of better proper sword fighting like the originals. The true aberrations are 7, and 8. I saw 7 and was like "this is nothing but shit." Shiny iTroopers and iBlasters, retarded useless characters, action that wasn't necessary, and my favorite "No, this is the Death Star and this is Starkiller base (do that in a South Parkian accent). Everyone around me was "I like it"-they said that too with 1 and later admitted that it sucked. No one says they "like it" with Star Wars....Star Wars was about the awe; the fucking jaw dropping to the floor! Not anymore..............

Rogue One was the last decent Star Wars. Even though it had some writing issues, character weakness, and a little shitty plot writing it was directed extremely to the faith. It felt alien, gritty, and had the best droid ever in Star Wars. Still had SJW shit, but not shoved down your throat in such a very unforgivable manner. Yet, almost everyone pissed on it.

George lucas bought the rights to EE. Doc smiths lensman. That's why the prequels were so terrible. Lucas is a hack and the prequels prove it. JAR JAR BINKS. JAR JAR FUCKING BINKS.

Last Jedi's disappointment definitively contributed but the main thing is that nobody asked for a Solo origin story...sometimes it's best to leave things to people imaginations...no need to give us every detail about his past...I am interested in an Obi Wan or Boba Fett standalone movie...hopefully Episode 9 can give fans some sort of decent ending to the Skywalker trilogy...I'm most looking forward to what David Benioff and Dan Weiss (the Game of Thrones showrunners) come up with as they are apparently writing a new SW trilogy

I just wish they had made the Thrawn Trilogy into movies... Heir to The Empire etc...
Dark Empire would have been cool.. much better and "believable" as sequels to ANH, ESB, and TROTJ, and at least more believable as a progression from the Empire after Return of the Jedi than "The First Order". So much material to work with that had IMO "GOOD" stories that might have been able to be brought to the screen at one point.

Holy shit people. Him being Pansexual (or not exclusive to gender or race) was made off to FIT the character! Holy crap. Get a damn grip the movie was good. Stop looking for reasons to hate... oh wait nevermind this is the internet.
No. Him being anything other than a womanizing sleazeball is just as fucked up as Greedo shooting first and fucking midichlorians. Just shut the Hell up, and let them fly around in space ships. We don't give a fuck about Disney'a bad fanfic take on Star Wars.

Disney Star Wars is to Original Star Wars as 50 Shades of Grey is to Twilight. (Difference being that Twilight sucked to begin with)

Disney has given every little asswipe kid with a stupidassed take on Star Wars free license to shit all over the franchise. You know that stupid little kid that everyone hates? That's who grew up to be known as Rian and Kathleen.

trust me when I say that is the least of what they messed up. They have essentially made Solo "always a good guy" RATHER than the anti-hero he was in ANH looking out for himself to then turn good.

You haven't seen the movie. He's lying, arrogant and can kill if he needs to.

Funny though, according to Boxofficemojo, Solo was still the most seen movie in the US over the weekend.

I personally have franchise fatigue. I have intended to keep up with the Star Wars franchise but I haven't been able to.

I did watch Episode 7, but I may ahve had too much to drink, as my recollection of the end is a little hazy.

I never got around to watching Rogue One. It's still in my to do list, but just haven't watched it yet.

Same with Episode 8.

I'll get to them at some point though!

I think part of my problem is that I hated th eprequels so much that they permanently broke my love for Star Wars. I just have a difficult time getting excited about anything new now.

Solo also has other problems. People always hate re-imaginations of their favorite characters by newer younger actors. This ought to be no different.

Yes that is true but nobody could tell it the way Lucas did. It was his campy, pure over the top fantasy version that made it great. He'll never win any screenwriting Oscars but he did literally change the world with a movie.

You seem to have forgotten that he wrote the prequels...

You haven't seen the movie. He's lying, arrogant and can kill if he needs to.

Funny though, according to Boxofficemojo, Solo was still the most seen movie in the US over the weekend.
Actually I have...

maybe, maybe not. HOWEVER holiwood did go out to say this is the 1st star wars film with a female droid.... they must have forgotten PhantomMenance on the trade ship at the begining
Pretty sure the silver 3cpo in the old one with lando was female too.

After TLJ I lost any interest in Solo.

I really don't understand the hatred for the sequel trilogy/TLJ. Despite all the nonsense about Rey being a 'Mary Sue' it's actually a pretty interesting story arc with lots of direct ties to KOTOR. I will agree that the OT is 'better,' Episode VII has a great first half and meh second half, TLJ has weak sequences with Finn and Rose.

People are natually going to like the original trilogy the best. The original trilogy is a typical epic hero's journey with clear good and evil factions. The sequel trilogy is a tragedy/revenge story with a more complex thematic clash between nihilism and existentialism. The prequel trilogy is a mess.

I'll go see EP9 in theaters with the small hope that Kylo Ren just fucking kills everyone and sits on his throne Riddick style.

They've left open a lot of possibilities. I'm expecting to see a Star Forge and/or Kylo Ren's plans to kill the Force itself.

Well said naib... Disney management's total disdain for fans coupled with their idiotic social agendas has all but destroyed the franchise and now the fans have spoken. ... with their wallets.

I really don't understand the hatred for the sequel trilogy/TLJ. Despite all the nonsense about Rey being a 'Mary Sue' it's actually a pretty interesting story arc with lots of direct ties to KOTOR. I will agree that the OT is 'better,' Episode VII has a great first half and meh second half, TLJ has weak sequences with Finn and Rose.

People are natually going to like the original trilogy the best. The original trilogy is a typical epic hero's journey with clear good and evil factions. The sequel trilogy is a tragedy/revenge story with a more complex thematic clash between nihilism and existentialism. The prequel trilogy is a mess.
What in the actual fuck movies did you watch? You completely missed everything about what was wrong with TLJ.

TLJ was a steaming pile of shit from beginning to end. EVERYTHING that happened between the previews and the credits was an utter shitstorm. The entire plot was completely absurd. It was insultingly bad.

The fact that you use words like nihilism and existentialism means you have zero understanding of Star Wars. You are as bad as Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy. You're looking at the world's greatest strawberry cupcake, and your analysis is that people like things that are pink. You completely missed the point of what made the first three films great.

There is no formula aside from the following: Tell a fun story that leaves room for the audience to imagine what might happen if they were there.

There is no politics. There are no real world issues at play. There is only imagination and a story that makes at least a little bit of sense. TLJ failed on all counts.

TLJ was freaking boring and padded to hell and back. Over half the movie could have been cut out and nothing would have been lost. It's late so just some quick comments:

The entire central plot was about the slowest fucking chase in cinema history and it seemed like Johnson thought the audience were idiots because the dialog kept talking about fuel all the damn time.

Holdo was a moron. There was absolutely no reason for her not to at least vaguely mention her plan. Or to do something to make sure Poe wouldn't interfere.

Poe was a jackass. He went from a fun, interesting, character in TFA to a character that just did what the plot demanded.

Rose was an abysmal character. The actress tried her best to make the character more, but the writing was so bad and she had so little to do that there was nothing redeeming about the character.

The fuck did Johnson do to Finn? He was the best character in TFA and now he's useless and annoying.

What is with Disney wasting Bencio del Toro in thankless roles?

Nice to see all that renewed hype for Phasma resulted in fuck all, yet again. Just keep her dead this time, the character is worthless.

This is the movie where Rey did become a Mary Sue. She has zero faults and never falters. She is instantly perfect at everything and it doesn't seem like she is even tempted by Ren.

Snoke was completely pointless.

Ren's betrayal of Snoke makes no narrative sense. It was a cool scene, but it comes out of nowhere and seems to be just a cheap trick to fool the audience into thinking Ren turned to the light side again.

Johnson took any element of TFA that might have been interesting, characters included, and either entirely discards it or makes it utterly boring.

The few good things I can say about the movie are:

This was probably Carrie Fisher's best performance. She was never a good actress but she showed some heart and emotion this time around. That "meeting" between her and Luke was so good.

Ren become a much better villain here. Adam Driver seems more comfortable in the role and the movie moves away from the temper tantrums of TFA. Having him not just be a bad imitation of Vader was the right move.

Holdo's sacrifice was pretty badass. Thinking about it for more than a few minutes brings up some pretty serious questions and it does kind of ruin space battles for the franchise, but it was a great moment in the movie.

It was a well shot movie. Rogue One is still my favorite looking of the Disney Star Wars movies, but TLJ's behind-the-scenes crew did a great job with the movie.

Then look at the bad guys. No longer are they an intimidating and imposing force that can crush the galaxy, now they're a bunch of bumbling idiots led by a pouty emo dude like the one kid that gets picked on all thru high school.
It seems that hollywood decided to model villains on high school bullies. And make heroes invincible.

This means there is no tension left in the movies. Villains are pathetic and completely inept. And the hero survives anything without a scratch. How can you root for a character that had a building come down on it, and then just stands up and walks away?

The dramatic curve is also gone. The typical hollywood movie doesn't look anything like.
  1. Exposition
  2. Escalating action
  3. Climax
  4. De-escalating action
  5. Conclusion
Instead we get:
  1. Climacting but ultimately meaningless action sequence
  2. Filler exposition that will lead nowhere
  3. Meaningless action sequence
  4. Exposition that will lead nowhere
  5. Someone dies for no reason, and for the fault of the hero, becaue that's what makes it dramatic, right?
  6. Someone becomes a traitor just for kicks, which hasn't been set up in any meaningful way
  7. Outrageously overdone action sequence where everyone seems invincible, but eventually the bad guy's ankle is dislocated or gets defeated by an equally banal reason.
And no, there is no de-escalation and no conclusoin at all, it all just ends abruptbly without tying loose ends, or ever mentioning the plot points brought in during those filler expositions.

That's it.

TFA = "Let's remake ANH, only dumber, with less likeable characters."
TLJ = "Let's try to remake only the worst parts of TESB, but lacking any comprehension of what TESB was about or why anyone did what they did in that movie."

You completely missed the point of what made the first three films great.

There is no politics. There are no real world issues at play.

I think you missed the point... let me guess you where a kid in '77 when you first watched it or you where not born and again watched it first through the eyes of a kid.

No politics... are you kidding what movies did you watch ?

Why did Luke want to leave home again... oh right to fight the oppressive regime in control of the universe.

Why does HAN have a bounty on his head... oh right cause even he gets boarded sometimes.

Right in the first movie... "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic"

How about imperials wondering out loud about their actions causing sympathy for the rebel cause in the senate.... to which Tarken says, "The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever." In 1977 it was only a little over 40 years after the Nazis dissolved the power of the Reichstag.

I guess as a kid you can be forgiven for just seeing the good guys and the bad guys and not the subtle political allegories. I suggest watching that flick again as if you had never seen it.

If we are talking about the prequels (which I get you where not) they are even more political... Lucas based the entire plot of Episode one around the political intrigue of the SW galaxy. Palpatine is a direct stand in for Hilter... Palpatine first tricked his way into power. Palpatine staged a false flag to get emergency powers. Palpatine staged another false flag to justify war. Heck storm troopers really are shown to be actual storm troopers... fanatical programmed to follow their leader, and apart from the old army tasked with protecting the people. The story directly parallels world history of the 30s and 40s. Lucas was making a very political statement.

Another great and I'm sure not a statement in anyway from the prequels;
“Wake up, Senators…you must wake up! If we offer the separatists violence, they can only show us violence in return! Many will lose their lives. All will lose their freedom. This decision could very well destroy the very foundation of our great Republic. I pray you, do not let fear push you into a disastrous decision. Vote down this security measure, which is nothing less than a declaration of war! Does anyone here want that? I cannot believe they do.” — Senator Padmé Amidala

Of course to believe that isn't a statement you would have to forget that... Episode 2 was released 7 months after the passing of the Patriot act.

Also btw as kids in '77 we may not have thought much of it... but a Princess who picks up a gun and saves her male rescuers asses, was very much a statement.

Last edited:

They've left open a lot of possibilities. I'm expecting to see a Star Forge and/or Kylo Ren's plans to kill the Force itself.
Kotor, as in the game? Even in your own post you are adding stuff to Disney's movies that just ain't there ( to me anyway). I know there is a lot of starwars literature, i don't know most of it, i did play Kotor the game, but forgot it mostly... By now I've seen original 3, prequel 3, and Disneys... Disneys mess... The plots are a mess, but i can only take them at face value, i cant add stuff with my imagination, i i just don't have enough info to work with, no books no cartoon or anything like that.... TFA and TLJ, what a mess.. TLJ to me was Spaceballs 2, but very few see that. Rogue One for many is like ohh, ahh.. only probably becuase it tells a bit of a story, you know with a bit of structure and everything!, otherwise that movie was a literal snooze fest to me, and scifi is what i i am inclined to follow btw.

I think you missed the point... let me guess you where a kid in '77 when you first watched it or you where not born and again watched it first through the eyes of a kid.

No politics... are you kidding what movies did you watch ?

Why did Luke want to leave home again... oh right to fight the oppressive regime in control of the universe.

Why does HAN have a bounty on his head... oh right cause even he gets boarded sometimes.

Right in the first movie... "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic"

How about imperials wondering out loud about their actions causing sympathy for the rebel cause in the senate.... to which Tarken says, "The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever." In 1977 it was only a little over 40 years after the Nazis dissolved the power of the Reichstag.

I guess as a kid you can be forgiven for just seeing the good guys and the bad guys and not the subtle political allegories. I suggest watching that flick again as if you had never seen it.

If we are talking about the prequels (which I get you where not) they are even more political... Lucas based the entire plot of Episode one around the political intrigue of the SW galaxy. Palpatine is a direct stand in for Hilter... Palpatine first tricked his way into power. Palpatine staged a false flag to get emergency powers. Palpatine staged another false flag to justify war. Heck storm troopers really are shown to be actual storm troopers... fanatical programmed to follow their leader, and apart from the old army tasked with protecting the people. The story directly parallels world history of the 30s and 40s. Lucas was making a very political statement.

Another great and I'm sure not a statement in anyway from the prequels;
“Wake up, Senators…you must wake up! If we offer the separatists violence, they can only show us violence in return! Many will lose their lives. All will lose their freedom. This decision could very well destroy the very foundation of our great Republic. I pray you, do not let fear push you into a disastrous decision. Vote down this security measure, which is nothing less than a declaration of war! Does anyone here want that? I cannot believe they do.” — Senator Padmé Amidala

Also btw as kids in '77 we may not have thought much of it... but a Princess who picks up a gun and saves her male rescuers asses, was very much a statement.
No. Wrong. You are 100% incorrect. None of Star Wars was a political statement. Lucas was just a hack who took existing themes and mashed them together in a space setting. There are plenty of examples in much earlier literature of strong female characters. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ma-larson/10-grimms-girls-who-would_b_6017816.html

You're looking at a child's drawing, and trying to analyze its artistic styles. You're like the teacher from Back to School who said Kurt Vonnegut knew nothing about himself.

I saw Star Wars on release night in 1977. Star Wars was a story about really cool toys you should buy.

No. Wrong. You are 100% incorrect. None of Star Wars was a political statement. Lucas was just a hack who took existing themes and mashed them together in a space setting. There are plenty of examples in much earlier literature of strong female characters. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ma-larson/10-grimms-girls-who-would_b_6017816.html

You're looking at a child's drawing, and trying to analyze its artistic styles. You're like the teacher from Back to School who said Kurt Vonnegut knew nothing about himself.

I saw Star Wars on release night in 1977. Star Wars was a story about really cool toys you should buy.

https://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-rise-of-an-empire
https://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-imperial-officers
https://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-stormtroopers

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DLT-19_heavy_blaster_rifle was in fact... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_34

https://www.history.com/news/the-real-history-that-inspired-star-wars

“I love history, so while the psychological basis of ‘Star Wars’ is mythological, the political and social bases are historical,” Lucas told the Boston Globe in a 2005 interview.

https://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-History-Lucasfilm/dp/0470602007
Lucas helped write this book....

SW is about the repeating of history, and repetition is a running theme. He based the story directly on the bits of history he felt kids should grow up to not repeat. How very social justicy of him. Too bad it seems so many didn't get the msg. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: odoe
like this
Or... perhaps we cut $250 million in half since they filmed two complete movies (nearly) and see it for the success that it was.

You seem to have forgotten that he wrote the prequels...

Not at all. I loved the prequels but they didn't change the world like the first 3 did.

And all this prequel hate is something that just recently started. I don't know why but within the last several years it became trendy to hate them. Don't get me wrong, EVERYBODY hated Jar Jar Binks from the beginning and didn't care for the over-use of CGI but the movies themselves were pretty well liked and made a shit ton of money and they "felt" like Star Wars.

Deadpool IS pansexual, and nobody gives a shit. You know why? Because he is Deadpool, and it makes sense. The problem we have is that some fuckwad Star Trek assholes decided to infect Star Wars with their bullshit. Star Wars is not the place for political statement bullshit. That is the realm of Star Trek. All we want to see in Star Wars is space wizards and space battles.
The only part of Star Wars that's salvageable for me is X-men vs Tie fighter.

Last Jedi's disappointment definitively contributed but the main thing is that nobody asked for a Solo origin story...sometimes it's best to leave things to people imaginations...no need to give us every detail about his past...I am interested in an Obi Wan or Boba Fett standalone movie...hopefully Episode 9 can give fans some sort of decent ending to the Skywalker trilogy...I'm most looking forward to what David Benioff and Dan Weiss (the Game of Thrones showrunners) come up with as they are apparently writing a new SW trilogy

If they're writing it, there will definitely be more pansexual content in future SW films. :LOL:

So people love the originals with a whiny homosexual robot but lando can’t be “pansexual” in solo or everyone loses their minds ... sounds consistent.

Back