“Solo” Box Office a Historic Failure for “Star Wars”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It’s official: Han Solo’s origin story is a huge flop for Lucasfilm and Disney. The latest standalone Star Wars film only managed $29.3 million in ticket sales this weekend, a 65 percent drop-off from last weekend's opening at $84.4 million. Due to reshoots, the movie cost over $250 million to make.

Some have suggested that Solo's box office troubles can be pinned to the backlash that followed The Last Jedi's release in 2017. Others feel it's a case of franchise fatigue; too many Star Wars movies in too short a period of time.

or maybe just maybe RAMMING SJW concepts down the throats of people that just want a damn good starwars film isn't a good idea...
my wife, 11yo son and 7yo daughter did not like TLJ and were confused by the rewrite of history of solo ... This is before I start going on a rant BUT If I did it would just be racist or misogynistic "because I am a white male"

So this agenda in hollywood needs to end otherwise they will end.

Some have suggested that Solo's box office troubles can be pinned to the backlash that followed The Last Jedi's release in 2017. Others feel it's a case of franchise fatigue; too many Star Wars movies in too short a period of time.

No such thing as Star Wars franchise fatigue. It's a story that's been beloved, worshiped and obsessed over for 40 years.

It is obvious that the problem is the SWJ bullshit that Kathleen Kennedy is trying to shove down out throats. They killed off Han, made an abomination out of Luke and turned Lando gay. Then tried to replace them with Mary Sue who's perfect at everything and already more powerful than the most powerful Jedi ever before even being trained.... The fat Asian chick, the purple haired feminist and so on.

Then look at the bad guys. No longer are they an intimidating and imposing force that can crush the galaxy, now they're a bunch of bumbling idiots led by a pouty emo dude like the one kid that gets picked on all thru high school.

Let's face it, Star Wars will never be Star Wars without Lucas. Campy dialouge and plot wholes aside, nobody can tell a space fantasy story like Lucas.

They could have a field day with tons of ideas and different plots in the star wars universe but instead they approach it with the usual Hollywood cookie cutter, zero critical thought, boring predictable etc formula.

Fire the old heads in the upper ranks and bring in new talent.

With that in mind, keep Lucas out of it too.

In general I hate star wars, it's fucking horrible.

That said, I thought Solo was the only good star wars film I've seen. It was like a western set in space.

Soooo, if you think star wars is dumb as fuck, then maybe you'll like this one despite what the critics amd fanboys say.

or maybe just maybe RAMMING SJW concepts down the throats of people that just want a damn good starwars film isn't a good idea...
my wife, 11yo son and 7yo daughter did not like TLJ and were confused by the rewrite of history of solo ... This is before I start going on a rant BUT If I did it would just be racist or misogynistic "because I am a white male"

Oh FFS, who cares about SJW stuff except the people that keep crying about it. Wahh wahh wahh..

The movie failed for a few simple reasons and it has nothing to do with your political agenda.

It was a great movie, but there weren’t any space wizards :( plus people were turned off by the directing problems.

I also don’t know what people think is “SJW” about the movie and if Lando is gay they really hid it. Unless his love for capes means he’s gay then he was always gay. Sounds like people making up shit so they can say they don’t like stuff on the internet.

No such thing as Star Wars franchise fatigue. It's a story that's been beloved, worshiped and obsessed over for 40 years.

It is obvious that the problem is the SWJ bullshit that Kathleen Kennedy is trying to shove down out throats. They killed off Han, made an abomination out of Luke and turned Lando gay. Then tried to replace them with Mary Sue who's perfect at everything and already more powerful than the most powerful Jedi ever before even being trained.... The fat Asian chick, the purple haired feminist and so on.

Then look at the bad guys. No longer are they an intimidating and imposing force that can crush the galaxy, now they're a bunch of bumbling idiots led by a pouty emo dude like the one kid that gets picked on all thru high school.

Let's face it, Star Wars will never be Star Wars without Lucas. Campy dialouge and plot wholes aside, nobody can tell a space fantasy story like Lucas.

Plenty of people can tell a great space fantasy, problem is that none of those are working on Star Wars films now.

The whole thing is not just Kennedy either, she has a supporting cast of other SJWs... Lynwen Brenna is the General Manager of Lucasfilm and President of ILM and recently said this...

"At the moment 75 percent of the people in visual effects are men and that’s unacceptable,"

That’s right, don’t bother to look at stats or anything for who has degrees and experience with programming visual effects, it’s just plain unacceptable to only have 25% of them be female.

It was a great movie, but there weren’t any space wizards :( plus people were turned off by the directing problems.

I also don’t know what people think is “SJW” about the movie and if Lando is gay they really hid it. Unless his love for capes means he’s gay then he was always gay. Sounds like people making up shit so they can say they don’t like stuff on the internet.

The screenwriter for Solo said he was pansexual. Really the issue is the people doing PR for the movies don’t know how to shut the fuck up and stop pushing their agendas.

Great video, I agree 100%.

I haven't seen Rogue One, Episode 9 or Han Solo & I could care less.

1. Avengers
2. Deadpool
3. Stagnant wages, I saw those two, my disposable income is gone.
4. The Last Jedi kinda sucked, Luke went out like a bitch, so disappointing.

I love star wars, I gave the force awakens a break because it was a reset. Rogue one I really liked. The last Jedi really disappointed me so I'll probably just wait to torrent any future films. The animated series have been better then 2 of the last 3 movies.

Star Wars was dead with 1, 2, and 3. Everything that was so mythical, awesome, and mysterious (midi-fucking-chlorians) was completely thrown away with the prequels. One of the greatest franchises converted into weezah gannah dye, roger-roger, and a religious order that created Darth instead of preventing it. Also to note, the saber battles were really shitty with too much influence with modern theatrical martial art techniques instead of better proper sword fighting like the originals. The true aberrations are 7, and 8. I saw 7 and was like "this is nothing but shit." Shiny iTroopers and iBlasters, retarded useless characters, action that wasn't necessary, and my favorite "No, this is the Death Star and this is Starkiller base (do that in a South Parkian accent). Everyone around me was "I like it"-they said that too with 1 and later admitted that it sucked. No one says they "like it" with Star Wars....Star Wars was about the awe; the fucking jaw dropping to the floor! Not anymore..............

Rogue One was the last decent Star Wars. Even though it had some writing issues, character weakness, and a little shitty plot writing it was directed extremely to the faith. It felt alien, gritty, and had the best droid ever in Star Wars. Still had SJW shit, but not shoved down your throat in such a very unforgivable manner. Yet, almost everyone pissed on it.

I don't think it's too many Star Wars movies in one time. Look at Marvel movies. Most marvel movies make cheddar like it's no tomorrow. I think it does come down to the quality of the movies. People like myself were unhappy with TLJ. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I think with all the gossip that was taking place on how bad the movie was before it came out is what did Solo in. I haven't seen it yet, but I have friends who have. They all liked it. I think Disney needs to hire in competent people to write good lore and history for Star Wars. But they also aren't listening to the fanbase. Of course they don't have to, but I mean come on.... That's who you are selling the movies to.

I haven't seen Solo. I did see the last one. It was heavy-handedly political. I'm not going to complain about it, it's their intellectual property to do with what they wish. However, it was simply not an entertaining film.

As a result, I'm voting with my wallet on Solo. They failed to make an enjoyable film the last time, so I'm not affording them the benefit of the doubt this time.

Lando being pansexual is not why this movie did terrible.

The marketing was a mess, the director was swapped multiple times, and the trailer fell completely flat (generic heist movie).

Social justice is stupid (it's just mob justice) but I highly doubt SJ has any blame for this movie.

Also prequels blow.

I have been told for all disney 3 they are great movies and they been shit to me... Although in TLJ i laughed a lot so i liked it in that sense, but it was still crap overall... Forgive me if i can't believe this one will be any good.

I don't think it's too many Star Wars movies in one time. Look at Marvel movies. Most marvel movies make cheddar like it's no tomorrow. I think it does come down to the quality of the movies. People like myself were unhappy with TLJ. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I think with all the gossip that was taking place on how bad the movie was before it came out is what did Solo in. I haven't seen it yet, but I have friends who have. They all liked it. I think Disney needs to hire in competent people to write good lore and history for Star Wars. But they also aren't listening to the fanbase. Of course they don't have to, but I mean come on.... That's who you are selling the movies to.

I think there is one problem with comparing marvel and Star Wars... The popularity and super fans just are not comparable imo. Marvel gets some slack in changing characters even if the comic super fans hate it, because superfans are a very small %.

Marvel moves are pretty cookie cutter movies, they don't break too much ground but they make consistantly entertaining movies.

Star Wars fans are more numerous and the super fans are a lot louder so any perceived egregious error is horrible and end of SW... Throw in any sort of change of the fantasy in their head (ak memory of youth) and you get the SJW craziness and tin foil hat conspiracies.

TLJ was a flawed movie imo, I don't have a problem with having female lead(s) but I do agree they didn't do her character/arch justice. Luke... I can let them have the "mistake" but I do think they didn't pull off the island training scene nearly as well as they could and his last stand/death was cheap.

I explained my general opinion of TLJ as lots of good ideas, they tried to go in a different direction but could only pull off 75% across the board so it was a lot of mediocre and nothing really shined. Eveything imo was close to being a home-run but not quite there.

I don't think it is the end of star wars, though it certainly isn't improving (TFA was ok for a reboot but a copy of ANH). None of my complaints has anything to do with the sexes or perceived political messages of the characters but the characters themselves not being written/built up well enough.

I have heard good things about solo as an entertaining movie (like marvel movies)... Will keep my judgement of lando until I see it, while yes its trendy to be "different" and that usually ends up cheesy, it all depends how they pulled it off (I liked how they did sulu in the new Trek, it just was).

The movie failed for a few simple reasons and it has nothing to do with your political agenda.

I'm not sure why being critical of "SJW" content has to be political. If it's irrelevant or pandering or otherwise unrealistic, I fail to see the positive value. To turn Colbert's phrase around: reality has an anti-SJW bias. But I agree that there's plenty of valid criticisms beyond that.

Last edited:
I have been told for all disney 3 they are great movies and they been shit to me... Although in TLJ i laughed a lot so i liked it in that sense, but it was still crap overall... Forgive me if i can't believe this one will be any good.
You don’t believe that my OPINION about the movie is good? Color me shocked.

The screenwriter for Solo said he was pansexual. Really the issue is the people doing PR for the movies don’t know how to shut the fuck up and stop pushing their agendas.
Yea some people even made it worse (original director) by insinuating these comments were true and implemented in the movie.

who cares disney is still going to continue making starwars movies for two reasons merch and f*ck the shareholders

Regressives aren't good at making money. They make people not want to watch their films. They make people not want to play their games. They make people not want to shop in their stores. Then blame everyone but themselves for it.

Back