“Solo” Box Office a Historic Failure for “Star Wars”

If he's racist for that then that makes all the people outraged about casting Scarlett Johansson as the Major in Ghost in the Shell racists as well.
Major exists in a shell, so technically she can be anything, but her ghost still originates from a Japanese woman.

Pansexual isn't gay...

I mean make your point but do it well, ffs.
The point wasn't about Pansexual/Gayness. It was about a backlash to Political Correctness and SJW's. Considering that Solo costed an estimated 500 - 580 million to make and is estimated to have made 400 million than we, the Star Wars fan base, have made our point well... ffs...

The point wasn't about Pansexual/Gayness. It was about a backlash to Political Correctness and SJW's. Considering that Solo costed an estimated 500 - 580 million to make and is estimated to have made 400 million than we, the Star Wars fan base, have made our point well... ffs...
And it was a point made without watching the movie. How wise was that. smh

I watched it with the GF sunday night. (We were away all opening weekend, or we would have gone then.)

Fuckin' loved it, both of us. The whole Pansexual thing is really an excuse for people to be pissed off. Lando was Lando. Maybe he'd grown a little more attached to his droid than you'd expect, but weird shit happens. (K2SO in Rogue One? HELLS YEAH, I felt bad when it died!)

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. He hopefully means "CAL-EL is a white guy", which I actually agree with. I'm cool with the comics making new characters different races/genders/whatever, but well established characters being changed for little to no reason throws me off.

This exactly. Those other black "Superman"s were in name only. They were not the original character, Kal-El. They were part of the ongoing story, they didn't change things midway. They added new characters.

The established characters usually do not just change race mid way. Even the new Spiderman animated movie with a black kid isn't Peter Parker as Spiderman.

Iron Man can be anyone. Tony Stark can only be one guy. Although, we all know Iron Patriot is the better one, anyway. :)

Major exists in a shell, so technically she can be anything, but her ghost still originates from a Japanese woman.
Yes the lore allows to for that change, but do you think the raging social justice warriors care about the story, or even know anything about it? That would actually make them more racist, not less.
I could've mentioned Hank Azaria voicing Apu from the simpsons for the same effect.

I watched it with the GF sunday night. (We were away all opening weekend, or we would have gone then.)

Fuckin' loved it, both of us. The whole Pansexual thing is really an excuse for people to be pissed off. Lando was Lando. Maybe he'd grown a little more attached to his droid than you'd expect, but weird shit happens. (K2SO in Rogue One? HELLS YEAH, I felt bad when it died!)
SOLO rates an A- from Cinemascore.com, the only company that polls moviegoers at major movie releases on opening night.

At some point in the near future the movie will be available for free. Progressive SJW's and their political correctness are a malignant cancer and their day of reckoning has arrived. Their racism and sexism does not sell...

At some point in the near future the movie will be available for free. Progressive SJW's and their political correctness are a malignant cancer and their day of reckoning has arrived. Their racism and sexism does not sell...
tired argument is tired. sigh

Reactions: odoe
like this
I'll take a black Superman if it means it's a good movie. But it must fit naturally (actor blends well into the role, and expands upon the role creatively with a bit of his own personality). Anything that is forced however doesn't work.

it's not a 'historic' failure...what hyperbole...it's not doing as great as the other SW movies but that makes it far from historic...Howard the Duck and Ishtar were historic failures

Pepsi is nasty sweet. Coca Cola is perfect.;)
Nonsense. Diet Dr. Pepper is perfect. Everything other soft drink is bad for you, weak-sauce, too sweet, putrid, or some combination thereof. At best, they are good for use in mixed drinks. At worst, no amount of run can redeem them.

That's why you can't get Diet Dr. Pepper at restaurants: wide access to the good stuff would destroy the cola market, and Coke and Pepsi have too much invested in it. It's a conspiracy backed by the South American cola nut cartel.

SOLO rates an A- from Cinemascore.com, the only company that polls moviegoers at major movie releases on opening night.
"Solo" had a 65% decline in ticket sales in its second weekend, against no significant new releases, after under-performing on release. That says the word-of-mouth was terrible.

First weekend got the fanboys/girls. But it seems even they didn't come back to see it again.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. He hopefully means "CAL-EL is a white guy", which I actually agree with. I'm cool with the comics making new characters different races/genders/whatever, but well established characters being changed for little to no reason throws me off.

Superman is Kal-El, AKA Clark Kent. Superman is an established character. There can be other Kryptonians of other races, but Superman is an established character.

"Black female" Iron Man is a new character called Ironheart, not Iron Man. She exists in the the Prime Universe, AKA the main continuity.

"Black" Spider-Man is a character that exists in a different universe. He was shoved into the Prime Universe now because "muh diversity," but both Miles Morales and Peter Parker exist as independent entities.

I took that into consideration with my statement.

Calvin Ellis on one of the Earths is the black president of the USA as his "day job". His name is Kalel and his is from Krypton. He joined the Justice League during Final Crisis.

He was a one off character that was only in a few comics it appears but still, he is black, named Kalel and is from Krypton.

Of course that is all ignoring the fact that even in other comics people change race or gender. Nick Fury went from white to being black and made to look like Samuel L Jackson before Samuel L Jackson actually took on he role. DC in their tv series have changed genders and races of people. Speedy went from being a male to being Queen's younger sister in Arrow. The West family are all black in the TV show of the Flash. Expanding on that Iris was going to be played by a black actress in Justice League, but the same actress will be in the flashpoint movie. So you have them flipping back and forth on an established character there with her being black in some material and white in others.

Star Wars died after the original trilogy. Nothing after that deserved my money.

I'm a die hard Star Wars fan. With that said I refused to see Solo based simply on the fact that TLJ was absolute garbage imo and I didn't really care for TFA either to be completely honest. I thoroughly enjoyed Rogue One however. Hopefully Solo doing poorly will lead to Disney making substantial changes to the direction they're taking the Star Wars franchise.

If all you draw from fiction is entertainment, then I think you have missed more than you have gathered. That's truly ok. You vote with your wallet, and I will vote with mine.

I can get behind this.

All fiction, for me, is about entertainment. I enjoy the displacement of reality for a bit, even if it is not accurate according to what we think we know. Of course, we probably should define "entertainment", but we can save that for another conversation.

For what it is worth. Your response is one of the few voices of reason in this thread.

Huh?! No, that doesn't.

Superman is a white guy. From comics to TV to movies. Changing him now would be awkward.

Only for racists. The notion that a completely fictional character has to be exactly the same race/gender/sexual orientation/whatever from conception until the end of time is completely ridiculous.

Only for racists. The notion that a completely fictional character has to be exactly the same race/gender/sexual orientation/whatever from conception until the end of time is completely ridiculous.

Oh come on. Now you're just trolling. You don't really think that. There are SO many more reasons people wouldn't like a character to just change race/gender/whatever than just racism. Continuity is another huge one. People bitch and moan about reconning in various stories. How about changing the main character? That won't go over well.

It's doing poorly because Disney is overloaded on Marvel and Star Wars movies this year. That and they decided to make it a summer release where it has more competition.

You can only soak so many dollars out of viewer's wallets this month, Disney. Deadpool 2, Avengers: Infinity War, and Star Wars in less than two months (and Antman sequel coming in July). Deadpool 2 is looking at finishing with well over a Billion, while Infinity War is already over 2.

It's pretty clear that Marvel Comics Universe >>>>>> Star Wars Universe.

Last edited:
People just don't get it, Solo is a failure of the prior movies just like the last few had any box office at all was due to all the good will from movies & tv prior. It's not fair to Solo, but its how the world works. People don't have time or money to take a chance and be burned again. Solo is being punished for the fact TLJ just wasn't good, it was detestable. Bad writing, indirectly preachy, disrespect to established characters without good explanation, did I mention bad writing?

I saw Solo and thought it was pretty good despite the bits of SJWing and occasional bit of canned lines/scenes. I'm willing to bet what's killed Solo is the failure of Last Jedi and the fact that it was so heavily laden with SJWing it was expected that Solo would have just as much. Political statements don't belong in entertainment but let's face it... that's all Hollywood seems to have these days. They shun great concepts in favor of the same drivel they're so accustomed to shoveling out... it's like shooting yourself in the foot.

Eh, politics have always existed in movies. It's just a matter of how ham-fisted they are. If you see the politics first over the movie, that's where things have gone wrong. It's like gay characters on TV. A good one their sexuality is just a trait. A bad one, their sexuality is their defining characteristic (I'm looking at you, Arrow's Curtis).

That said, my main problem is that all that seems to be in theaters now are unnecessary sequels. I'm sick to death of Star Wars and The Marvel Cinematic Universe.

People just don't get it, Solo is a failure of the prior movies just like the last few had any box office at all was due to all the good will from movies & tv prior. It's not fair to Solo, but its how the world works. People don't have time or money to take a chance and be burned again. Solo is being punished for the fact TLJ just wasn't good, it was detestable. Bad writing, indirectly preachy, disrespect to established characters without good explanation, did I mention bad writing?

I agree with you almost 100%. Save for one thing.

TLJ was DIRECTLY preachy. The only way it could have been worse would have been to hire someone to stand behind you and club you over the head while screaming "DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH!" for the entire film.

The entire subplot with the Laura Dern character was a trainwreck from the word go. It was every "Bitchy, stupid, unreasonable boss" cliche EVER.

And the "from nowhere" thread of the Kelly Marie Tran character was so forced that the last crash at the end made me want to just get up and walk out of the theater swearing.

The whole "lick and promise" with Luke Skywalker was a gigantic "fuck you" to both the actor and fans.

With TFA, I was disappointed, but still willing to give the franchise some credit. The prequel trilogy started off REALLY rough. And while Ep2 and Ep3 were no masterpieces, they weren't anywhere close to execrable.

TLJ was just execrable. It basically destroyed the franchise for me.
And I'd been so hopeful. Rogue One was actually a decent film.

I haven't bought DVD/Digital Video /BluRay of any of the sequel trilogy.
And I'll probably avoid Solo completely. It's the first Star Wars film I've simply not cared to go to in my adult life.

TLJ was just execrable. It basically destroyed the franchise for me

Agreed. Only movie that did worse for it's related movies would probably be the matrix sequels. I actually liked the Star Wars Prequels, but TLJ...
tard.gif

Is it as good as Rogue One? That was a good one, in my opinion.

in my opinion that was the worst. I bought it, only watched it once. By the end of the movie realized i didn't remember anyone's name, and didn't care what they were. But everyone has different taste in movies.

in my opinion that was the worst. I bought it, only watched it once. By the end of the movie realized i didn't remember anyone's name, and didn't care what they were. But everyone has different taste in movies.

Rogue One had a few good scenes, particularly with seeing a threatening Vader and the Death Star actually doing some damage. Other than that, it was forgettable. But so were all of Episodes 1-3 & 7-8 imho.

In general I hate star wars, it's fucking horrible.

That said, I thought Solo was the only good star wars film I've seen. It was like a western set in space.

Soooo, if you think star wars is dumb as fuck, then maybe you'll like this one despite what the critics amd fanboys say.

I liked it too. Didn't like TLJ or the Prequels, pretty much enjoyed
Great video, I agree 100%.

I haven't seen Rogue One, Episode 9 or Han Solo & I could care less.

Ending of Rogue One was the most legit Vader scene ever. The movie was a 6 out of 10 until the final 30 seconds. Gareth Edwards should have made Revenge of the Sith.

Is it as good as Rogue One? That was a good one, in my opinion.

I thought that Rogue One was an over-budgeted fan film with two dripping scoops of fan service. Lousy characters, hardly a plot, and visuals that had the cinematic weight of a videogame cutscene. If Rogue One is the fav Disney film of the common denominator Star Wars fan- I think the collective fanbase has lost its mind. The fucking LucasArts games had better story than this.

The Know called Rogue One the fan film, and Solo the crappy EU novel turned into a movie- and I agree. And on that basis, I thought Solo was better. By a small margin better. It's serviceable.

JJ Abrams doing to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek what he did to the end of Lost what he did to ...

The man is all surface glitz and lens flare. Completely devoid of any depth. I can’t stand his work.

I cried so much when L3 died. : (
Solo is the best Star Wars sequel/prequel by far.

You guys know that Star Wars was always super SJW right?
Obi Wan Kenobi being based on Muhammad?
Anakin Skywalker using George Bush lines to make political points before his battle with Obi Wan?
All of Yoda's teachings?! Super Empire Strikes Back on Super NES is actually Super SJW The Game

Where have you guys been???????????
Just you were kids so you didn't care. Now your kids won't care either.
We saw Captain Planet when we were children and we all liked it; didn't know it was SJW like crazy.
You get to summon the ultimate SJW! He even has his own theme song. You'll pay for this SJW!!!!!
♫We're the SJW's, you can be one too...♪

Droids are a slave race. That was a political statement.
The rebels are terrorists. That was a political statement.
The death of Democracy is to the sound of applause. That line was SJW rhetoric!

Rewatching the Star Wars saga with an anti-SJW mindset means you're going to hate each and every movie more than the last. Because it builds and builds and builds. The entire Saga is the SJW Saga. No shit you don't like Star Wars now. Wow.

(but TLJ still sucked. because of legitimately sucky things. Bad writing. Bad jokes. Bad plot. Bad new lore. Bad bad bad. Luke's force projecting was bad ass though. As was his death.)

Last edited:
like this
No, Star Wars was always ARCHTYPAL.

Kenobi was the old wizard.
Luke was Percival (starts off stupid so he can be an audience stand-in and they get educated as he does).
Vader was The Fallen Good Guy.
The droids were discriminated against in ANH, but weren't explicitly a slave race.
Han shot first. He was an anti-hero.

The "messaging" didn't come into play until the prequels.

Kenobi was always based off of Muhammad. Tattooine was meant to resemble the middle east with the Sand People and Bantha Herders as the nomadic tribes.
George Lucas wrote it fresh off of learning about Sufism in California, Obi Wan's description of the Force is word for word the Sufi description of God. As is his death meant to be a Sufi concept of merging with God.
Leia was an unsual "strong female lead" and not archtypical at all, especially at the time.

Padawan trains to be a Jedi. While in the Middle East, Palawans train to be Al-Jeddi. All Lucas said was "Take out the L's!" and there we go.

like this
SW disney movies have all just been bad movies overall (to me) they have me wishing they would have gone with 2 versions and 2 stories ... R rated strongs movies for adults, and kids animated/computer movies. Among the many many many problems with these movies, they also can't thread that fine line between being a movie that adults and kids can watch like the marvel movies can. Disney can certainly make movies for kids that adults can enjoy, no question... But i think SW was due to move to strong adult arena ( i am aware they have all been an in between type movie) , and maybe have other stories made for kids, one movie each, each year would be cool. Meh, i will catch solo in redbox, they aint getting ticket money from me for the garbage they have done so far.

Back