“Solo” Box Office a Historic Failure for “Star Wars”

or maybe just maybe RAMMING SJW concepts down the throats of people that just want a damn good starwars film isn't a good idea...
my wife, 11yo son and 7yo daughter did not like TLJ and were confused by the rewrite of history of solo ... This is before I start going on a rant BUT If I did it would just be racist or misogynistic "because I am a white male"

So this agenda in hollywood needs to end otherwise they will end.

The events in Star Wars purportedly happened in the past, dummy. "A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far Far Away." So the characters in Star Wars aren't human, unless you don't believe humans evolved here on Earth.
LOL, you got me. My comment still stands.

One of the big reasons I liked the Han Solo Adventures in book form and have little interest in this movie is because the Han Solo Adventures are not an origin story. I don't need or want a Han Solo origin story. I would have loved to see Han and Chewie flying around in the Falcon and trying to pull off of scheme or heist of their own. One of their own adventures and not someone else's adventure they end up joining.

I also loved the fact that the Han Solo Adventures took place pretty much exclusively outside of the Empire. Sure, the Corporate Sector and Corporate Sector Authority were basically The Empire in a lighter form but it wasn't The Empire. It was a different section of the galaxy which the Empire did not control. It allowed for different stories to be told and didn't pit Han and Chewie against the Empire. They didn't even care about the Empire for the most part. This allowed for a growth of the story of the galaxy while staying outside of any sort of main storylines or plots and Han and Chewie could do what they do best, make money and get the chicks.

Solo didn't need to be an origin story. It didn't need to be anything groundbreaking. It didn't need to be part of the greater galaxy's problems as we already know them. It didn't need to push any boundaries or try to include all the social issues of the day. It did need to be a fun adventure story just about anyone could enjoy because that's Han and Chewie's formula.

All they had to do was make a fun Han and Chewie adventure with nothing else added. How hard could that have possibly been?

I saw the movie and loved it apart from the weird feminist robot. It was way better than people are making it out to be.

Wow all the different threads going on in here. see the movie then return to your sjw/pansexual(robosexual)/freaking/flaking out.

seriously has everything has to boiled down to right vs left and whatever derogatory remarks we can think up about both sides of the spectrum to make us feel better?

my take it was a solid movie that was better than tlj

The robot wasn't feminist at all. IF ANYTHING it was closer to a Slave seeking freedom that it's owner loved and tried to support and give that freedom to.

If you took that robot as some sort of feminist you didn't get what they were going for.

The fact that they used it as a comedic foil was interesting as well.

https://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-rise-of-an-empire
https://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-imperial-officers
https://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-stormtroopers

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DLT-19_heavy_blaster_rifle was in fact... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_34

https://www.history.com/news/the-real-history-that-inspired-star-wars

“I love history, so while the psychological basis of ‘Star Wars’ is mythological, the political and social bases are historical,” Lucas told the Boston Globe in a 2005 interview.

https://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-History-Lucasfilm/dp/0470602007
Lucas helped write this book....

SW is about the repeating of history, and repetition is a running theme. He based the story directly on the bits of history he felt kids should grow up to not repeat. How very social justicy of him. Too bad it seems so many didn't get the msg. :)
You really need to understand Lucas back when he made the originals and Lucas now.

Lucas now is more of a political animal which is why the prequels kind of fell flat. As a young filmmaker however he was not that. Rather what he did was draw inspiration from historical and and religious aspects craft his world.

However none of that was meant necessarily to craft a message as he based Star Wars off of the old Flash Gordon serials he used to watch as well as the Japanese movies he would also watch.

However modern-day Lucas has become so political he retcons himself. However listen to him back in the day and you will note that none of this was political. Young George Lucas contradicts old George Lucas consistently.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow all the different threads going on in here. see the movie then return to your sjw/pansexual(robosexual)/freaking/flaking out.

seriously has everything has to boiled down to right vs left and whatever derogatory remarks we can think up about both sides of the spectrum to make us feel better?

my take it was a solid movie that was better than tlj

Nowadays, a post about the sky being blue become a political debate.

With that being said, it was OK for just a movie, and as such was a better product than R1 and TLJ, but it was bland for Star Wars. They didn't completely ruin Han the way they did Luke but they def took a lot away from how he was originally portrayed.

I don't care about the SJW stuff or any of that. I haven't watched it yet. I want to. But, so far it just isn't one of those "must see" movies that has me super hyped like any of the others. I don't like the actor as Solo. He just doesn't do it for me. He's NOT Han Solo. Aside from that, the previews make it look just mediocre. There were a couple scenes that were cool, but nothing that really stood out as being "OMFG! STAR WARS!".

I plan on watching it this week. The first Star Wars I haven't watched opening weekend.

Personally, anyone that counts episode 1-3 as good star wars looses all right to an opinion.

You dont get it episode 1+2+3 had to exist look at all the cannon spinoffs created not to mention all the money all the content from that era is making from clone wars toon of old to the rebels toon going on now it fills in a lot of lore that is needed

You dont get it episode 1+2+3 had to exist look at all the cannon spinoffs created not to mention all the money all the content from that era is making from clone wars toon of old to the rebels toon going on now it fills in a lot of lore that is needed

Noted, your opinion is worthless :p

I saw Solo and thought it was pretty good despite the bits of SJWing and occasional bit of canned lines/scenes. I'm willing to bet what's killed Solo is the failure of Last Jedi and the fact that it was so heavily laden with SJWing it was expected that Solo would have just as much. Political statements don't belong in entertainment but let's face it... that's all Hollywood seems to have these days. They shun great concepts in favor of the same drivel they're so accustomed to shoveling out... it's like shooting yourself in the foot.

Personally, anyone that counts episode 1-3 as good star wars looses all right to an opinion.

They were very flawed. But, they were good. So much bad stuff in them (love scenes... pretty much all of them), bad writing, etc.. Young Obi Wan, The Clone Wars and how they came about, etc. were pretty cool.

Overlooking the shit to get to the good stuff...

Seeing what Palpatine had to do to remove a corrupt senate in a failed republic was pretty awesome. Plus, the ending of Attack of the Clone. Fucking awesome. I don't care what you say, this scene is just amazing:

It's weird, a movie can't fail because it just wasn't that good anymore. There always has to be some grand nefarious politically-motivated conspiracy reasoning behind it.

Oh I can believe the marketing sucked... cause it did. I can believe that many had blockbuster fatigue... with Avengers and Deadpool all hitting in the same month. (how many movies does hollywood think people are going to drop 40-50 bucks on in a month)

It just bothers me that so many supposed "Fans" can't see all the same things they are calling SJW crap in the first 6 movies. You would think after the 20th viewing people would pay a little more attention. :)

However modern-day Lucas has become so political he retcons himself. However listen to him back in the day and you will note that none of this was political. Young George Lucas contradicts old George Lucas consistently.

Or he simply grew up and became more confident he could blast his message and still have a job. :)

The messages are very clear in the first Star Wars flick.

His Uncle sits by and does nothing... he knows the Empire is evil, but its not my fight. Turns out there was no one there for him when they came for him. Of course its all wrapped in Flash Gordon, still there is no denying there where messages in the movie. IMO what George lost as many older film makers do is the sense of poetry about their work... sometimes saying less is more powerful.

I do hear what your saying... and sure I enjoyed Subtle George more as well. The themes where their in the first movie, he just didn't come right out and beat anyone over the head with senate speeches. Although I will say the "So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause" line was pretty fantastic. :)

I rarely go to the movies, since I'd rather wait for home release... when I'll snag the UHD disk.

But honestly TLJ was a huge disappointment, and all I ever read about Solo was negative press about changing directors.. reshoots, etc. I wouldn't have gone to see it even if I was a theater regular.

with out those 3 movies starwars would of never been introduced into a new generation of people

That exact same argument can be said of TFA and TLJ.

They were very flawed. But, they were good. So much bad stuff in them (love scenes... pretty much all of them), bad writing, etc.. Young Obi Wan, The Clone Wars and how they came about, etc. were pretty cool.

Seeing what Palpatine had to do to remove a corrupt senate in a failed republic was pretty awesome. Plus, the ending of Attack of the Clone. Fucking awesome. I don't care what you say, this scene is just amazing:

If you overlook purple hair and sjw, again same can be said of TFA and TLJ plus the writing isn't near as shit as the prequels, the CG doesn't look like a vomit clusterfuck, and they used actual puppets as much as possible.

The prequels suck, a hand full of scenes and the after merchandising (tv spin offs) don't redeem it.

So if a movie has one black person in it it's pandering to SJWs?

If they take an iconic role/character and butcher it then yes (eg. Clark Kent being rebooted as a misunderstood black teenager). I like movies that have minority leads as long as they’re original and not insulting me by pandering.

Th fact that there is even a thing as pansexual is hilarious. The definition sounds exactly like Bisexual other than the term gender binary or wtf ever that is.

Hmm, I always thought of being Pansexual as having sex with anything. so, Robots? get your Bender on...

I loved the original 3 movies. EP 1-3 were mediocre cash grabs. Want to see Rogue One when I get the chance but will not watch any of the newer shit. Disney used to be the go to for family values but they lost that a long time ago. Funny how much hidden dick pics and other bullshit wound up in cartoons from the 90's on.... or the sound clip from Aladdin " take of your clothes"... etc.. little mermaid erection...

I loved the original 3 movies. EP 1-3 were mediocre cash grabs. Want to see Rogue One when I get the chance but will not watch any of the newer shit. Disney used to be the go to for family values but they lost that a long time ago. Funny how much hidden dick pics and other bullshit wound up in cartoons from the 90's on.... or the sound clip from Aladdin " take of your clothes"... etc.. little mermaid erection...

"The Rescuers" in 1977 had a Playboy picture in the window. Wasn't noticeable unless you knew where to pause the film (which would promptly melt). "Hollywood Daffy" (1946) had a rape joke. The hidden bullshit you refer to has been around since the invention of media.

Did you actually see it? There was nothing in the movie about Lando being pansexual at all. Maybe if you squinted real hard and let your imagination go wild. Maybe. Media ran with a catchy headline, hardly SJW down anyones throat, but cute that so many are offended at even the idea of it.

Bingo!

The left will deny that SJW-ism is the reason, even if the whole franchise sinks completely. The one thing the left excels at is willful denial. There is always some other reason for their ideology falling on its face.

ROFLMAO!

#GoWokeGoBroke

Star Wars and a Wrinkle in Time both demonstrated that audiences do not want their movies filled with leftist pap.

Black Panther and Avengers/Cap America showed that audiences adore films that are #ProTrump or anti-leftist.

It is that simple.

You guys are hilarious! :D

I think the point is many people chose NOT to go see it because of the political infusion into the Last Jedi. If you watched that film and did not think there was HEAVY political commentary in it, then that's another issue altogether.

[cut][chop][grind]

Yes, the "issue" is people going to the movie for the entertainment value and not attaching politics to some science fiction work which does not take place in this galaxy!

Here is my corollary.

If you watched that film and all you could see was HEAVY political commentary, then that's another issue altogether.

If you watched TLJ and did not see the politicism, you did not understand the film. Period.

If you did not go to watch the film for the purposes of being entertained, then you did not understand the film, Period.

It bears saying one more time.

People who attach political agendas to fictional movies get what they deserve. Keep on being miserable while the rest of us enjoy the entertainment. Although, you guys are proving to be entertaining as well. :)

Last edited:
My present opinion on Star Wars is: Will see Star Wars Tales (movies in the universe but not the main plot). Will NOT see Star Wars (whatever the main plot is).

Solo wasn't bad. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. I have to give Ron Howard some credit for likely fixing a big pile of turds and having to take the lumps from the poor box office aftermath even though it wasn't really his fault.

Whether you think there was some SJW crap in there or not, doesn't change the movie from good to bad or bad to good. TLJ was still crap and Solo was still all-ight.

There were so many great parts in all the prequels. Qui Gon Jinn was great, Obi Wan was great, Darth Maul was great, Mace Windu was great, Count Dooku was great, the light saber battles were fucking awesome in all of them, pod racing was cool as shit, seeing Yoda and what he can really do was cool as shit. In the original movies, the force was something you could use to slowly move rocks and that's about it. In the prequels the force made the Jedi and Sith almost super heroes! The final battle between Anakin and Obi Wan is still one of the best on screen duels ever. Seeing how Palpatine rose to power, seeing the Jedi order in its heyday. Yes there were lots of cringe worthy dialogue scenes but the story was still Star Wars and those cringe worthy scenes made up only about 15% of the movies at best.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Maybe they should have went with this formula... god I miss Pryor.

Oh FFS, who cares about SJW stuff except the people that keep crying about it. Wahh wahh wahh..

The movie failed for a few simple reasons and it has nothing to do with your political agenda.
Says the SJW annoyed that people don't like him and his kind...

I think the SJW remarks might have a decent influence.

I don't personally care about star wars, I watched solo only because my Dad wanted to see it. Personally I thought it was a fine movie. But then again I am not really the core audience I was just a guy enjoying some entertainment. I simply observe from the outside apathetically.

That said I know a lot of star wars fans and their kids. And I have noticed a lot of them have or are from pretty average nuclear families. So if you simply assume that about half of them are conservative then that is a lot of conservative star wars fans. Then you say maybe 30% of those care enough to take a stand and suddenly you have a pretty big population of people who would care if Lando was being politicized as a pan sexual. And given that right in this very thread we have a couple people pointing out their distain for these issues then its perfectly reasonable to conclude that this had some influence on the sales.

That said if someone is going to take a political stand I want to see them actually do it. People say Deadpool is a pan sexual, but I have never ever seen him engage in an intimate event with anything but females (yes I assumed their gender). And people are now saying that about Lando, so Disney put your money where your mouth is and lets see a big sloppy French kiss between Lando and Hans Solo in the next movie. And if you aren't willing to do that then just shut your mouth and leave it to the fans to argue forever. Cause personally right now I think its just shallow lip service where they get to make a claim to appease a certain population but then they never actually commit to doing it. This behavior seems to be par for the course in companies.

In the original movies, the force was something you could use to slowly move rocks and that's about it. .

One of the biggest fuck ups. "Midiclorians"? Fuck that shit.

And pod racing was awesome as shit. Watching that was cool. Take it out of Star Wars and it'd still be awesome. That was just cool.

R2 was gay?

Nobody's losing their minds over Lando being gay. We're losing our minds because the entire story of Star Wars that most of us grew up with, worshiped and adored is being gutted and re-written into an outright abomination by a bunch of SJW hippies.

Yes turning Lando who was a cool as shit ladies man into a gay guy for no reason other than to fulfill a SJW agenda pisses us off. If he was gay in the original movies nobody would care. He wasn't and is only turned gay now to appease the SJW crowd.

Taking Luke Skywalker, the most iconic and arguably beloved movie characters ever and turning him into a worthless, defeated, depressed, grouchy old fart that plays no role at all in the grand scheme of things is an outright slap in the face to all of us that love Star Wars and are responsible for making it the 4 decades long phenomenon that it is. Luke is the most powerful Jedi to ever live but yet gets his ass kicked by Mary Sue who hasn't even been trained yet but is already excellent at everything because girl power. Then when we finally think we're gonna get to see Luke open up a can of badassery, nope it's just a hologram that kills him...WHAT?!

Then the fat Asian chick and token black guy that offer nothing to the story (actually drag the story down) and are only there for forced diversity.

Taking Snoke who could've been a great villain who had everybody talking and buzzing after TFA and dying with anticipation to finding out more about him, then killing him off almost accidentally had everybody in the theater I was in saying "what the fuck" at the same time. So the awesome bad guy is dead and we're left with the quintessential emo millennial moping and whining whenever he doesn't get his way.

The problem is Star Wars didn't need to be reinvented. It was already nearly perfect and is still the most adored movie franchise in history going over 4 decades now. Lando didn't need to be changed, Luke didn't need to be changed, Han didn't need to be killed off, quota and token characters didn't need to be forced on us to fulfill some liberal agenda. If these people wanted to make a movie about pink haired feminists taking over the galaxy with girl power, that's fine, just don' take Star Wars, piss on it and strip everything about it that made it wonderful.
This...

Back