Solo: A Star Wars Story Trailer

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Apr 9, 2018.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

While I think we have all been waiting for Disney to screw up Star Wars just a little bit more, I have to say that the new trailer that it dropped yesterday has me feeling a bit good about Solo: A Star Wars Story. And we get confirmation on Chewy's age.

Check out the video.

thesmokingman and pendragon1 like this.
  2. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Looks OK. I'll go.

Since the new trilogy has completely gone off the rails, my only hope for "real" star wars movies will have to be in these one-off's movies. I'm hopeful they will do the long rumored Obi Wan movie too, with any luck Ewan won't be 90 before that happens.

I don't know how many other interesting stand alone characters can get their own spinoff though. Maybe they can live action Sabine from Rebels... I almost regret even thinking that.

3. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Greedo deserves his own redemption story.

griff30, PeaKr and AceGoober like this.
  4. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

i dont think i saw even 1 jedi... hmm, interesting

5. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

Yep, looks promising... I'll give it a go... but for me at least, the Star Wars "magic" pretty much ended after The Return of the Jedi. It all pretty much went downhill from there. Just saw The Last Jedi and it was a cliche driven, pandering, hot mess. Thanks Disney!

6. AceGoober

AceGoober Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!

Been saving both of the $25 movie gift cards I have to go to a movie I am actually interested in watching. Solo looks to be it.

7. jaericho

jaericho n00b

I think Disney's best bet for the one-off's is to avoid the established characters from the original movies. I think Rogue One was a good idea, but doing Solo or Obi-wan movie is just going to either screw-up established canon and/or tick fans off.

I know they're never going to please all the fans but it think they should work on establishing good stories and characters that add to SW and not rehash stuff. I think Disney's proven their rehashes aren't that great.

Armenius likes this.
  8. JNavy89GT

JNavy89GT [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah just keep the SJW and Diversify everything movement to a minimum and I'll stomach it. If they keep pushing the alt left agenda though I'm out.

9. grtitan

grtitan Telemetry is Spying on ME!

I'm scared shitless of watching anything Star Wars related, after the absolute trash that was the last jedi.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    mullet and zamardii12 like this.
  10. A Little Teapot

A Little Teapot Limp Gawd

Not for me thanks. There's only one man who can play Han Solo, and it isn't the Third Reich.

GDI Lord, bugleyman and Armenius like this.
  11. spine

spine 2[H]4U

Looks fun, but that's all it can possibly be when you know the 2 protagonists absolutely cannot die or even get scarred.

Trailer excitedly ends with Chewbacca hanging from a speeding train facing mortal incoming danger. I WONDER IF HE MAKES IT!? Need to go see it now to find out...:rolleyes:

hawkeye_wx, mbelue, Madoc and 8 others like this.
  12. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 [H]ard|Gawd

I'd be interested in something related to the Nightsisters, though that may be a little too dark for Disney. I tend to agree with you, Disney does well with clean storylines, but rehashes fall off the rails a bit.

13. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Hopefully Disney will do a Christmas special, and revisit Caravan of Courage and the Ewok one. :)

griff30 and Armenius like this.
  14. F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. [H]ard|Gawd

This one looks far better than the last SW hot garbage of a movie. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

zamardii12 likes this.
  15. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

I'll pass until people I trust to not be fanboys or have an agenda say it's not a piece of crap.

16. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

Pass. Yeah just keep the clones and homogeneous white armor to a minimum and I'll stomach it. If they keep pushing the alt right agenda though I'm out. ;)

17. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

I just saw that Ron Howard directed it. Might get a watch from me because of that. But that Fast & Furious "I'm putting together a crew" line from Woody Harrelson in both trailers is so fucking cringey.
    To be fair, it could be that other wookie you see Chewie hugging in the trailer who would be free to die.

18. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

Han Solo is dead. Let it go. Much rather see more stuff like Rogue One.

The Lamb, Madoc, steakman1971 and 5 others like this.
  19. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Feels like Disney is regressing to their straight to TV movie phase.

griff30 and Armenius like this.
  20. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I mean...yeah...but also, no. Dunno.

21. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

It this week's very special episode of Disney's Star Wars, Han reveals his true feelings about the Kessel Run...

22. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

Meh. With these new Star Wars films I'm completely unable to suspend my disbelief. I see nothing but sets, CGI, and actors. I cannot forget for one second that my eyes are roaming over a money-milking Disney product.

WhoMe and griff30 like this.
  23. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I read somewhere that Han didn't actually do the Kessel run, it was Lando.

24. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

In this era of limited sci fi releases, I honestly welcome any of the movies, as they are substantially better than 90% of what else is available in the medium. Unless you ONLY want superhero movies as your 'sci fi' range, then bitch on my friend.

Regarding the cgi issues, I was probably most upset by them when I watched the first reboot of the new star trek movies. There were long periods of the film where I just sat up out of the experience and thought this is all just cgi, without models or any of the camera tricks that made sci fi great, analog/organic feeling and believable. Everything is too shiny and perfect. . .

It's one of the reasons why the first matrix movie resonated with so many people. It was dark, brooding, dirty, and so overflowing with content that a single viewing wasn't enough to appreciate it fully. All of the cgi and digital paint in the world can't recreate the filth of humanity or its rage of emotions. The original Alien and Terminator movies were the same. The feeling of dread and weight of the films were palpable.

Somewhere in the lens flares, overly lit sets, and green screened canned emotions, you just can't always sell it.

mbelue, Madoc and Susquehannock like this.
  25. Susquehannock

Susquehannock 2[H]4U

Meh ... pass.
    Star Wars lost me at that midgets in teddy bear costumes movie.

[edit]
    Just realized that is Woody Harrelson. Might be worth seeing just for that.

WhoMe likes this.
  26. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Burticus and griff30 like this.
  27. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

He only stepped in to direct after the original director got the boot, he was only meant to finish off the movie, but apparently had to re-shoot quite a lot of it.

Armenius likes this.
  28. LightsOut41

LightsOut41 Limp Gawd

Yep. Rogue One was really good.

The Lamb, Madoc and The Mad Atheist like this.
  29. Susquehannock

Susquehannock 2[H]4U

Have to admit to enjoying that one a bit. First since ep V.

DLGenesis likes this.
  30. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Looks great, that train scene reminded me of Shadows of the Empire, anyone remember that train level?

SnowBeast and Armenius like this.
  31. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

Throw away everything you read. That’s what Disney decided to do in favour of rehashed storylines and hollow characters.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  32. Wolf-R1

Wolf-R1 [H]ard|Gawd

This reminds me more of their Rogue One bit than of their main stream Star Wars drivel these days. I will not see anymore of their 'Star Wars' movies but I might see their offshoots like this. Depending on the spearheading audience scores that is...

33. Crackinjahcs

Crackinjahcs Limp Gawd

The Millennium Falcon is more iconic and more of a character than even Disney probably realizes, hope they don't make it seem like trash or too OP.

I also hope Lando isn't just a token sidekick character, This preview doesn't leave me hopeful.

34. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

I have a small hope that it'll be arrested development in space, narrator and all.

35. Bigdady92

Bigdady92 [H]ardness Supreme

Loved that movie. Great movie. You have your character arcs, you have your villans, you have your redemption story, and then everyone fucking dies.

Perfect way to do a one shot.

The Lamb, Madoc, MrTryfe and 4 others like this.
  36. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I loved Roge One too, but why couldn't we get a real jedi instead of a shaolinjedi?

grtitan likes this.
  37. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

Makes sense timeline wise. After Order 66 killing many of the Jedi in Episode 3, Vader has had many years to hunt any extra Jedi he could find. That's why Luke's role is so important.

Armenius likes this.
  38. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Every single line from Harrelson in both trailers is cringy. He looks like he could not give less of a damn about the movie and is phoning in his performance. Then there is the guy playing young Han. God damn he sucks as Han. Every single line delivery is wrong. He butchers what should have been a funny quip "130? You look good" from the second trailer.

Agreed. Either that or do something on characters that didn't get enough screen time. A Boba Fett movie, preferably one that erases Ep 2, showing him becoming such a good bounty hunter. An Obi-Wan movie exploring the time between Revenge and Hope. Or go further back and get the movie out of the shadow of the Skywalkers and show the universe during its glory days, before the Jedi become overly arrogant.

The Falcon looks like shit. They made it look "new". All white with random blue bits. This toy gives you an idea of what they're going for:

solofalcon.jpg

39. MV75

MV75 [H]ard|Gawd

They kill off a title character then go back to milk it. No.

And 190 years? What planet is this a gauge against? One that orbits its own sun 20X more often than earth does? And even assuming they base age off of earth.

40. Azphira

Azphira [H]ard|Gawd

Solo: Making Star Wars As Interesting As Plastic Dinnerware.

Tags: