Solid wifi pci-e adapter for my in-laws?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
They are mainly streaming (some HD) video on win8.1 desktop system. They just purchased nighthawk router.
However the desktop’s built-in wifi AC adapter according to them was dropping 5ghz wifi connection.

Yesterday I installed el cheapo usb n dlink adapter for them. However to avoid further late evening support calls and headache I would like to buy them something more “solid” 

Would one of ASUS PCE-AC56 or TP-LINK Archer T8E AC1750 PCI-E cards do the job?

Are there any other recommendations? I know running a wire would solve all this headache… but it is not an option at this point.

Thank in advance. ;)

I've always had good performance from startech brands, ASUS, D-Link. IMHO, i wouldn't spend more than about 50 bucks.

For with Wifi as long as it reads the signal, keeps it, and is within a good range, should work just fine with streaming.

I think TP-Link makes a good product. I installed the N adapter in my wife's computer and have not had a single connection issue in well over a year for her.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would get one with a wire connected antenna so it can be moved around for a better signal.

thanks for all the great input....

Can I try to bridge both builtin AC adapter (as primary) and use usb n wifi stick (they use the moment)? I could have AC running at 5Ghz and usb n at 2.4Ghz. The AC would be prime and N would be the backup.

Friend of my suggested this:
"In windows you can bridge the connections. Just make sure go into advanced properties and give each connection a unique metric. Its under TCPiPv4 properties where you set your IP. For inet access, it will use the one with the lower metric value."

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't do it. It would be one thing if it was your computer so you can be the one to deal with it... but do you honestly want to install this setup at your in-laws and constantly be on the phone and helping them with it? The PCIe adapter is going to be objectively better in all regards than the USB adapter.

Does the desktop's wireless connection only support AC connections? AC is 5Ghz only, but it should still be able to connect to 2.4Ghz networks at N speeds.

I wouldn't do it. It would be one thing if it was your computer so you can be the one to deal with it... but do you honestly want to install this setup at your in-laws and constantly be on the phone and helping them with it? The PCIe adapter is going to be objectively better in all regards than the USB adapter.

Thank you, my other buddy said the same thing. DO NOT DO IT, unless you want 2am support phone calls LOL... The worst case scenario I will buy PCI-E adapter.

Does the desktop's wireless connection only support AC connections? AC is 5Ghz only, but it should still be able to connect to 2.4Ghz networks at N speeds.

You correct. I could set it up at 2.4Ghz for N speeds. I never tried it. I see my in-laws every few weeks so the testing I can do is very limited. I might try that next time if/when the current Cisco Valet AM10 USB stick won't work. I talked to them last night and so far so good.

So the plan is if Cisco still exhibits problems is to go back to desktop wireless at 2.4Ghz and then buy PCI-E card as my last resort. I might try to see if I can run wire connection as well, which would be THE BEST solution for them.

Thanks again [H] guys :)

Back