Solid-State Batteries That Could Last A Lifetime?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers from MIT, Samsung, the University of California at San Diego and the University of Maryland have developed a new solid electrolyte material that will make batteries safer and last longer.

Researchers have developed a new material for a basic battery component that they say will enable almost indefinite power storage. The new material -- a solid electrolyte -- could not only increase battery life, but also storage capacity and safety, as liquid electrolytes are the leading cause of battery fires.

If it can provide about 20K mAH capacity in the size of a typical 1700-3000 mAH cellphone battery, bring it on. One of the oil companies will probably buy this up and kill it...

Are we talking lifetime "lifetime" or electronics "lifetime", because those vary by an order of magnitude.

If it can provide about 20K mAH capacity in the size of a typical 1700-3000 mAH cellphone battery, bring it on. One of the oil companies will probably buy this up and kill it...

Or Tesla will buy it because that would be huge for the electric car industry.

As with most promising battery technology we all have seen in the past, this will never see the light of day. Nothing to see here move on.

Why would they kill some battery technology?

Not enough meat to say it's real. Could be years off, but with all the companys researching battery tech anymore, if it's real, it will be available.

Why would they kill some battery technology?

Because efficient battery technology is the biggest threat to the oil industry. I meant kill it as in stash it away to not let it see the light of day...they've done this before and they will continue to do this until the oil sources are mostly used up, then release all this "amazing, shiny, and new" battery technology and charge the world a massive premium for it while demanding huge subsidizes, fees, royalties, and/or tax breaks for it's use.

From what I understood, it isn't necessarily high capacity or extremely long lasting per charge, but that it suffers little degradation from being charged over and over. Of course, I could have misunderstood, but I doubt they can magically add 20x the capacity while maintaining the same size.

So with something like this, you could see cell phones that have the exact same battery life after 3 years of use.

As with most promising battery technology we all have seen in the past, this will never see the light of day. Nothing to see here move on.

In other words like all the other "promising battery technology" it might have fatal faults, like way to expensive, unstable, not anywhere close to what was originally promised, etc.

Because efficient battery technology is the biggest threat to the oil industry. I meant kill it as in stash it away to not let it see the light of day...they've done this before and they will continue to do this until the oil sources are mostly used up, then release all this "amazing, shiny, and new" battery technology and charge the world a massive premium for it while demanding huge subsidizes, fees, royalties, and/or tax breaks for it's use.

This might have been possible decades ago, but it would almost be impossible today.
If they tried to kill it, the Chinese to build it and sell it for half the price.

"Last longer" does not mean capacity, it means recharge cycles and no loss of capacity over time from charging.

As for a battery that would last a long time as in capacity, look at atomic batteries. Which could be used under drain for 10-20 years depending on the type, these were used for a time in pacemakers. They are also very expensive, but so is anything that's new, and when used in something like say a car, to be able to drive for 20 years without ever charging/filling up, would probably be worth it.

If they could do increase the energy density of a battery by a factor of 10 I think the world just fucking changes instantly, for the better, unless you have stock options in any oil or gas companies.

Waay to early to tell if solid state electrolytes are economical feasible alternative to liquid based, but at least it appears possible to make a working battery.

In other words like all the other "promising battery technology" it might have fatal faults, like way to expensive, unstable, not anywhere close to what was originally promised, etc.

No, I think he means that space aliens will force the Illuminati into paying the oil industry to cover it up.

They don't need to, the price of electricity will be going up soon. In Michigan alone 10 plants are closing this September just in time for old people to freeze to death in winter when they choose food over heat.

Thanks Obama. And that's a sincere mock, not a mock-mock.

Even though its not quite how it works, the electricity shortage will be bad enough there will be little problem creating political will to ban electric car charging.

So it's a capacitor?

Wasn't there some super advanced capacitor coming out like 10 years ago that was going to charge instantly and provide a ton of power with unlimited charge cycles or something... what happened to that? Vaporware....

This is bull the electrolyte is not what burns it is what degases into hydrogen and the lithium burns...

This new battery is boasting increased capacity and infinite recharge cycles while at the same time not being able to catch fire...

you really don't get how modern crony capitalism works do you

the oil companies will try to block it because it will give rise to 400+ mile range electric cars that never loose capacity. The batteries can even be enclosed in a welded shut box as they will never need to be exchanged...

Good battery tech is the oil companies worst nightmare as it will mean the true advent of the electric car replacing the gas driven car.

When that happens i predict 3 things for the next 100 years
1.gas prices will suddenly shoot up
2.then get slashed as demand declines to nearly 0
3.when only the elite antique owners need gas the prices will remain rather high at specialty shops.

Gasoline will end up not being made except in small batches for the select few gas vehicles and wireless induction will be what keeps cars charged on the highway or city streets with the batteries used for sudden load and off grid travel or grid failures.

They don't need to, the price of electricity will be going up soon. In Michigan alone 10 plants are closing this September just in time for old people to freeze to death in winter when they choose food over heat.

Even though its not quite how it works, the electricity shortage will be bad enough there will be little problem creating political will to ban electric car charging.

And out here in California (with some of the highest electrical prices in the country), they think Obama's energy plan won't affect us because we have little/no coal plants. Well the jokes on us, because 30% of the electricity we use comes from out of state, and these states WILL be affected by his plans.
When these states have to shut down some of their plants, they will no longer have the excess power to sell to California. Since it's almost impossible to build any new plants in California due to the excessive regulations, our electrical grid will start looking like a 3rd world country, with rolling blackouts on hot days.

the oil companies will try to block it because it will give rise to 400+ mile range electric cars that never loose capacity. The batteries can even be enclosed in a welded shut box as they will never need to be exchanged...

Good battery tech is the oil companies worst nightmare as it will mean the true advent of the electric car replacing the gas driven car.

When that happens i predict 3 things for the next 100 years
1.gas prices will suddenly shoot up
2.then get slashed as demand declines to nearly 0
3.when only the elite antique owners need gas the prices will remain rather high at specialty shops.

Gasoline will end up not being made except in small batches for the select few gas vehicles and wireless induction will be what keeps cars charged on the highway or city streets with the batteries used for sudden load and off grid travel or grid failures.

I have 3 better predictions for 30 years out
1. Most car will still run on gas, and we will still have 100+ years of oil available.
2. Most electric cars will still have limited range <300 miles due to the high cost and weight of the batteries.
3. Electrical prices will skyrocket if electric cars manage even a 10% market share.
4. If the share of electric cars hits 20%, there will be a glut of gas causing the cost of gas to drop.

As for 100 years out, there will likely be new technology that makes batteries obsolete. Electric cars will run off a different electrical power source such some type of advanced fuel cell or maybe even fission power. Only then will electric cars finally make sense for most people.

how is that obama's fault?

1. Most car will still run on gas, and we will still have 100+ years of oil available.
2. Most electric cars will still have limited range <300 miles due to the high cost and weight of the batteries.
3. Electrical prices will skyrocket if electric cars manage even a 10% market share.
4. If the share of electric cars hits 20%, there will be a glut of gas causing the cost of gas to drop.

As for 100 years out, there will likely be new technology that makes batteries obsolete. Electric cars will run off a different electrical power source such some type of advanced fuel cell or maybe even fission power. Only then will electric cars finally make sense for most people.

Well say this tech is the real deal these batteries have double the capacity and they don't degrade or catch fire or explode and charge fully in a matter of minutes first i see Tesla using it to double the capacity and the range of current cars so model s now goes for 400 miles minimum.

Not everywhere is California electricity where i live is dirt cheap it is not rising.

as for 100 years that is how long minimally i see it taking for wireless roadway charging to be put in or a new source of power to be made light enough.

for the next 30-50 years yeah i dont see us stopping sucking on the gasoline teat.

how is that obama's fault?

Don't you get it? Obama is the cause of, and the source of everything bad in the world.

High gas prices? Thanks Obama!
Bad news about the economy? Thanks Obama!
Earthquake in Nepal? Well that's Obama's fault too!

Now he knows what its like to be GW. What goes around comes around.

The MIT article said the energy density was 20-30% greater, so a good jump but no one is going to be powering their lightsaber off one of these.

We have a enough refining capacity we export gasoline yet in the mid-west a planned maintenance of a refinery caused gas to shoot up 40-50 cents. Just in time for end of summer start of school which is an active period. Mysteriously this plant has maintainence co-incidentially just before periods of high demand quite often. When you abuse something don't be surprised or expect sympathy when its taken away.
The article for this thread is about new technologies that are changing that.
This is what I was talking about the political will even though this claim is false. Most people would plug in overnight when the grid is operating far below capacity.

Gas prices are largely driven by consumption. Electricity is different. Electricity has an upfront investment cost in the power plant itself that is a huge factor. When its under used, that investment is not making money. It relies on the periods when they are utilized to pay for the whole day. Pulling up the drop in demand at night will allow that equipment to earn money when its just otherwise sitting there. It would actually make the upfront investment pay better lowering that part of the cost for everyone.

Its the same reason McDonalds started offering Breakfast (if people remember the time before Egg McMuffins). The restaurant is sitting there shutdown and not making money off all that idle equipment. Breakfast was a way to earn money off that equipment and building that otherwise went to waste during those hours. Do you think they started breakfast because it cost them more money or because they made more money every day? Do you think serving egg-a-muffins at 7am makes it hard for them to serve big macs at 6pm?

There will be demand increase on the fuels that feed these plants. But we're the Saudi Arabia of Natural Gas and Coal and any restriction on supply there are artificially imposed by the government which they're going to do until it hurts anyway.

I'm looking forward to it and will not shed a tear.

Fuel Cells, possibly. But batteries will always be there to keep the price and gouging in check.

Don't you get it? Obama is the cause of, and the source of everything bad in the world.

High gas prices? Thanks Obama!
Bad news about the economy? Thanks Obama!
Earthquake in Nepal? Well that's Obama's fault too!

Him & his EPA is shutting down coal plants in large numbers over the next few years. Like many things he's implemented, he saved it from going full swing until the end of his regime. A parting gift.

But go back to your willful ignorance.

How many times over the years have we heard this story? Ground breaking tech! It's going to change everything!! Then never to be heard again.

I still don't understand the hate for oil, its like the bandwagon came along and everyone hopped on...Yet everyone I know who bashes on them still drive gas power cars...Having myself driven a Leaf for extended periods, it's a nice car, and even fun at times, but not practical at all and has a LONG way to go, might work for some down town city dweller, but that's about it.

Are oil and gas getting everything they can out of the prices? Absolutely, but when you are protected by the government who does not allow new companies or plants to start, who wouldn't? I also think many people forget about all the grants and funding the government has given battery companies, billions...Remember the last MIT spin off that was going to be the game changer that would save the world? A123 systems? No? Well they received over half a billion in grants and tax credits, the company is now bankrupt and was last traded for 12 cents before being sold off to a Chinese company.

Oil and gas spends around 4-5% of profits on R&D, the last few years 1.5% of that was on alternative fuels and clean energy and that has been increasing, if you think big oil and gas does not see the end of oil for fuels/power you are kidding yourself, they have large investments in all sorts of things, we know and so do they that we only have so much oil. However, even once a new fuel comes along, so much in our life is made from oil, think about all the plastic and foams etc etc in our life and other products based off of oil that we have no practical replacement for.

Trying to force something on the market that it does not want and people are not going to adopt is stupid, if the market is there and willing to pay for something, someone will make a product and sell it to fill the demand.

How many times over the years have we heard this story? Ground breaking tech! It's going to change everything!! Then never to be heard again.

400 mile 40,000 charge batts you can throw in the dumpster, they have been saying its just around the corner since the ev1 in the 90's. Hell cancer should be cured by now, but even the richest man alive died. or did he....

Back