Soldering DVI input onto monitor

xjmtx

Limp Gawd
Sheer curiosity here. When companies like Acer manufacture monitors they have a base model that they start with and then add parts to it which changes the model name. For instance, I have five 193 acer monitors. 2 of which are the original X193w model which offers only VGA, and the updated version which includes DVI. I also have two V193WEJbd, which include DVI, and managed to order an additional screen for my wife that is the V193WEJb which evidently lacks DVI.

The question here is, if I were to solder a DVI connector onto the monitor's mainboard, would it recognize it? would it be possible to force the firmware of say the V193WEJbd onto the V193WEJb?

I normally do this sort of stuff on machines i work with for my business, as the manufacturer allows firmware modding/upgrades to fix bugs and such. So other than, "you're gonna fuck up your screen" mentality, I would like to know if it could be done.

I've wondered this very same thing myself. It sounds plausible to me, although there might be other components missing aswell - not just the DVI connector. I suggest you take 'em apart and see! I'm not sure if you'll find a way to flash the firmware on the monitor. Perhaps there is a firmware update tool for Acer monitors?

Back